Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting > General compatibility fixes
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 08-05-2005, 11:28 AM   #31
dr_st
Abandonia nerd

It is possible to install up to four IDE devices in total - IDE devices being hard drives and CD drives. So if you have only one CD drive, you can install three hard disks. As long as the power supply can handle it.
dr_st is offline                         Send a private message to dr_st
Old 08-05-2005, 03:03 PM   #32
Omuletzu
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via MSN to Omuletzu Send a message via Yahoo to Omuletzu

Quote:
Originally posted by racer@May 6 2005, 06:52 PM
Try to find here what you´re lookin for.
Wow thanks a lot k:
Omuletzu is offline                         Send a private message to Omuletzu
Old 09-05-2005, 06:24 AM   #33
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
It is possible to install up to four IDE devices in total - IDE devices being hard drives and CD drives. So if you have only one CD drive, you can install three hard disks. As long as the power supply can handle it.
Indeed, Doc is quite right on this. Just make sure you have enough free power cables running out of the power supply.

A good advice is to have the second HDD hooked up as master drive on the secondary IDE channel, this will give a slightly higher performance of the drives as they will not have to share the same IDE cable.

Also, among some _very_ old hardware, there _might_ occur some with only a single IDE channel, or able to support only one (having in mind those junky pieces of hardware that needed I/O cards for HDD attachment).

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 09-05-2005, 08:22 AM   #34
dr_st
Abandonia nerd

The fact that you have enough power cables still does not mean that the PSU will be able to handle all the extra devices. Some PSUs are kinda weak.
dr_st is offline                         Send a private message to dr_st
Old 09-05-2005, 12:42 PM   #35
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

True, it doesn't mean so automatically. But most of the time, if a PSU has certain number of plugs for devices, it can support that many - at least speaking of devices dating around the same tech period

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 09-05-2005, 01:56 PM   #36
Grinder
Funkpilz Inc.

ok, thx for the advice, i'll see what i can do. Although i'm not sure yet about the whole 3 HDD thing, because i am fine with two of them. One for DOS (2GB) and one for Win95 (0.8GB) so i can use LAN to transfer stuff back and forth my Internet PC.
Grinder is offline                         Send a private message to Grinder
Old 11-05-2005, 09:56 PM   #37
racer
Forum hobbit

Grinder, why transfer?, if you have a LAN, you can let your internet PC as server and share internet with your old one. Each time you need something for your oldie, just turn on the 2 computers, logon to internet, and download what you want directly in your old computer.
A couple of tips: DOS Arachne sees your LAN automatically. W95 is not very suitable for LAN, but search in any of my usefull DOS links to see the way to connect a W95 machine to a LAN.
Good luck.
racer is offline                         Send a private message to racer
Old 14-05-2005, 03:43 PM   #38
Grinder
Funkpilz Inc.

THX, racer, i'll try that. But right now, i'm not using the pc because i am gonna buy an ISA graphics card. the old one was fried two days ago.
Grinder is offline                         Send a private message to Grinder