Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Tech Corner
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 23-09-2012, 06:44 PM   #21
jonh_sabugs
Abandonia nerd

I agree, but what I meant is that 3 seconds in 3 minutes is still (barely) responsive, and the freezes those games caused were completely unresponsive, no matter how long you waited.
jonh_sabugs is offline                         Send a private message to jonh_sabugs
Old 02-10-2012, 10:31 AM   #22
Maxor127
Game Wizzard

Are you getting a desktop or notebook? Because the AMD A4 and Geforce M310 are low-end components meant for laptops. If you're looking to play modern games and don't need to carry your computer around, then a desktop is better and those components aren't going to cut it.

32 GB of RAM is overkill. There's no way to future-proof a computer for 10 years. RAM is cheap and easy to upgrade. And by the time you need 32 GB of RAM, everything else in your computer will be too outdated anyways to make use of it.

For dual-booting, you don't need two hard drives for that. You could partition a single hard drive into two volumes. 500 GB may seem like a lot now, but it will fill up fast. I think 500 GB is the bare minimum of what you should get nowadays. I got a 320 GB drive 5 years ago, and I'm always struggling to find room on it.

In regards to modern games, the graphics card is the most important component. Motherboard is equally important insofar as having one that's reliable and has all of the features you think you'll need. You can get away with using a low to mid-level desktop CPU depending on your needs.

If you don't care about playing current games, then it doesn't really matter what you get.
Maxor127 is offline                         Send a private message to Maxor127
Old 02-10-2012, 03:26 PM   #23
Scatty
Treasure hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxor127 View Post
I got a 320 GB drive 5 years ago, and I'm always struggling to find room on it.
Try making ISO's of all the games you've got and put them on that drive for backup purposes (CD's/DVD's damage). Especially the current ones. You'll find out to be running out of space pretty quick I'm sure
Scatty is offline                         Send a private message to Scatty
Old 02-10-2012, 06:29 PM   #24
Japo
Autonomous human

I agree with pretty much everything Maxor said.
Old 03-10-2012, 12:50 AM   #25
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Thank you all again for your comments.

For the dual HD, I asked for it. That's what I want. So it is a personal choice.

The 32 megs is also pretty much the same. By the time I want to upgrade RAM (if that happen) it might be even more costly than today price simply because it will get (maybe only slightly) out of date. So, again since I want it anyways, I'm going to stick with it.

For the graphic card though, that's a very valid point which I will need to investigate further.
Old 03-10-2012, 10:58 AM   #26
hunvagy
Thread Necromancer

Send a message via MSN to hunvagy

Well the GPU though might also alter your PSU and Motherboard choice, of course. A medium range GPU nowadays has a power requirement of 100-150 W on high load. Pair that up with a dual/quad core, 2 HDDs, a DVD drive and other peripherals you might put it, and the 500-550 W range for a PSU is the bare minimum. Might want to go over it a bit, since as I personally found out a month ago, as the PSU ages, it gives off less and less voltage, and one morning you find out that your computer gives you the middle finger because the PSU can't power all components.

And without trying to pick a fight, if you go with AMD, I'd recommend an ATI GPU (and yes, I loathe nVidia, sorry guys). a HD5770 if you want to go cheap, but if money is not a problem, one of the new series cards. If you really plan ahead, then two of the more powerful ones with SLI.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:40 AM   #27
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

I'm no professional with hardware, but lemme give some inside how I think you should go anyway.

10 years might be alittle more then you can have on a trustable bases, but let's try the best.

Two HDD is way better solution the two partitions. 500 GB HDDs are very cheap, even 1TB disks are perfect quality nowdays. Considering the machine can include 8 HDD, there is no reason to try sparing here.

Operation-system: get your prime a Win7. Home Premium is fine. XP is "left behind" currently, like still trying to use Win98 today.

The particles come from two major company (I think ATI vs. Gefore-Nvidia, but don't hurt me for this), I suggest avoid mixing the two. Seems to be personal preference above that (but with ATI it seemed like trying Macintosh instead of PC for me).

From RAM 4 GB can be satisfying already, even without graphic card. Above 8GB you won't be able to use what you actually have (according to the shopkeepers I asked), and even on a superb construction there is no reason to have more then 16GB RAM (especially as it'll start literally eat energy).

All the periferies (DVD-drive, mouse etc.) seem to not evolve too much, so even cheap basic ones will serve proper. Heck, they even might last longer then more expensive ones.

The CPU seems most important choice.

From graphic cards I say buy the one after the first big rise in price. Those will last for some coming years while remaining stable and don't overheating or such. Above these the prive/value ratio exponentially drops.