Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Forgotten Games Bureau > Abandonia Case Files
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 18-09-2008, 09:46 PM   #1
Japo
Autonomous human

Question [Japo] Mutant Fighter

I think it's kinda old, early 90s perhaps, in between Golden Axe and Street Fighter II? It was more like a "versus" or non-scrolling fighting game, but instead of the usual 1D as in SF you could move up and down, just like in GA, which it was reminiscent of in other regards as you'll see. So you could move left and right and up and down but within an arena, kind of an amphitheatre but maybe square, with spectators in tunics on the stands at all. The gladiators were themed around some mythological pulp, there was a human and then a minotaur, a lizardman, etcetera. And there were very spectacular moves I think, like tossing the enemy lotsa metres up in the air and similar stuff. Lastly I think two players could play jontly fighting multiple other enemies on the arena.

Sounds like the coolest game on Earth, huh? I'm not quite sure of all those data, it was a long time ago. But the other day a friend of mine also remembered this game vaguely so I've decided to give it a go over here...

Last edited by Japo; 26-09-2008 at 05:07 PM.
Japo is offline                         Send a private message to Japo
Old 18-09-2008, 11:28 PM   #2
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japofran View Post
I think it's kinda old, early 90s perhaps, in between Golden Axe and Street Fighter II? It was more like a "versus" or non-scrolling fighting game, but instead of the usual 1D as in SF you could move up and down, just like in GA, which it was reminiscent of in other regards as you'll see. So you could move left and right and up and down but within an arena, kind of an amphitheatre but maybe square, with spectators in tunics on the stands at all. The gladiators were themed around some mythological pulp, there was a human and then a minotaur, a lizardman, etcetera. And there were very spectacular moves I think, like tossing the enemy lotsa metres up in the air and similar stuff. Lastly I think two players could play jontly fighting multiple other enemies on the arena.

Sounds like the coolest game on Earth, huh? I'm not quite sure of all those data, it was a long time ago. But the other day a friend of mine also remembered this game vaguely so I've decided to give it a go over here...
[nitpick]you could move in 2 dimensions in SF=P[/nitpick]
Old 19-09-2008, 02:08 AM   #3
DoomYoshi
Abandonia nerd

Is it actually an arcade game, or just arcade style?
DoomYoshi is offline                         Send a private message to DoomYoshi
Old 19-09-2008, 05:53 AM   #4
TheChosen
"I" in the Team

Thats what I would like to know too.

Now, Im just going to say that it might be Golden Axe: The Duel, which is combination of Golden Axe and Street Fighter.

Or, possibly a neo geo-based game.

EDIT: Could it be any of these: http://hg101.classicgaming.gamespy.c...s/fighters.htm

EDIT2: Hippodrome/Fighting Fantasy perhaps?

Last edited by TheChosen; 19-09-2008 at 06:05 AM.
TheChosen is offline                         Send a private message to TheChosen
Old 19-09-2008, 04:20 PM   #5
Japo
Autonomous human

Arcade is the platform, coin-operated.

It's none of those. I don't think it's recent enough to be a Neo Geo game.

I wouldn't count jumping as another free dimension, but anyway you could jump as well in this game (probably), but as I said you could in addition also walk not only left and right but also up and down. Like Golden Axe but in an enclosed space. Think about wrestling games, but with gladiators in a mythological pulp instead of wackoes in masks and tights.

Weird, I actually spent a while before posting checking in the great database at klov.com every fighting game from the concerned years, and I found nothing. This can't be very popular.
Old 19-09-2008, 04:57 PM   #6
Japo
Autonomous human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japofran View Post
Weird, I actually spent a while before posting checking in the great database at klov.com every fighting game from the concerned years, and I found nothing. This can't be very popular.
Oh my f. God, I found it, :thumbs: it's Mutant Fighter (Death Brade in Japanese Engrish). For some reason at klov.com the former is classified as "scrolling fighter" (like Final Fight) and the latter as "unsorted", that's why I didn't find it. That site looks like a wiki, but it looks like a file can't be edited once it's created.

It's actually completely identifiable as a wrestling game, even in the controls and moves (and sadly the music as well), only way cooler with beastly gladiators instead of coke sniffers in tights. :bleh:

Yet again I'm happy for a day, and I'm already using too many smileys.
Old 20-09-2008, 08:03 AM   #7
TheChosen
"I" in the Team

I was hunting your game last night, and found the Mutant Fighter too.
TheChosen is offline                         Send a private message to TheChosen
Old 02-10-2008, 02:21 PM   #8
Dave
Mandolin & Spaghetti Soldier

It seems nice! Unfortunately I can't find info about a dos version.
Old 02-10-2008, 03:39 PM   #9
Japo
Autonomous human

Nah, never thought there would be one. At that time PC conversions of arcade games were kind of insulting anyway. :P

Sadly the only way I have to beat wrestling games is using lots of nickels... Not sure there's any other one whatsoever by the way.