Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 07-10-2007, 05:36 PM   #291
Grand Dad
Game Wizzard

I still like POP I best
I have 3+ (or is it 4? can't remeber off hand as I haven't played them for a long time ) expansions
But prefer I !
Grand Dad is offline                         Send a private message to Grand Dad
Old 16-11-2007, 06:05 AM   #292
alumni prince fan

i used to play the original PoP as a kid and never made it past the ghost on level 13. got a weird craving to find it and play again so i downloaded it.

is it possible to play with todays OS's? it opens in DOS and looks like it use to but i can't get my sword out to fight the enemy. help!!!! how do i get my sword out, i have tried everything....

stupid being stuck on first level...help me to kill the enemies, someone!!

Old 16-11-2007, 06:42 AM   #293
Japo
Autonomous human

You don't have a sword yet, you'll get one soon enough though. When you have it you just have to stand a second when there's an enemy, and the prince will draw his sword automatically.

The game will likely run all right in Windows 9x. If it runs for you in later versions of Windows then go ahead but you won't get sound. The sound was 6 bits quality, so you won't be losing much. But you can use the DOSBox DOS emulator and it will play PoP just like the good old days.
Old 16-11-2007, 06:52 AM   #294
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(alumni prince fan @ Nov 16 2007, 08:05 AM) [snapback]319336[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
i can't get my sword out to fight the enemy. help!!!! how do i get my sword out, i have tried everything....

stupid being stuck on first level...help me to kill the enemies, someone!![/b]
You need to find the sword first, remember?

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 17-11-2007, 12:35 PM   #295
Dave
Mandolin & Spaghetti Soldier

Go left my dear

Old 17-11-2007, 12:37 PM   #296
Grand Dad
Game Wizzard

Yes you can find the sword easily enough just move carefully West (left) and then return and go East; when you come face to face with an enemy (soldier) the Prince will automatically draw his sword but don't press Enter or he will sheath it again <hehehe> !
Grand Dad is offline                         Send a private message to Grand Dad
Old 01-12-2007, 04:32 PM   #297
the fall guy

Default Can't believe I remembered that

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_fifth_horseman View Post
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(alumni prince fan @ Nov 16 2007, 08:05 AM) [snapback]319336[/snapback]</div>
You need to find the sword first, remember?
Actually there's a funny bug in the game that allows to leave the 1st level without the sword, but you'll still have it in the next level:

Go to the room with the only guard in the 1st level and wait at the left edge until the guard has nearly reached you, then run off to the room on the left. If the guard follows you in, wait again near the left wall until the guard gets close, then quickly pull up and get out to the room on the left.
In that room there's a loose tile in the ceiling that can be knocked off by jumping against it. Then you can climb up and turn right to re-enter the very first room of the level. If you slide down through the gap again, the guard will be left of you and you can simply run for the exit on the right...
the fall guy is offline                         Send a private message to the fall guy
Old 01-12-2007, 05:18 PM   #298
the fall guy

Default Ooops

Sorry for the duplicate, I just found out someone else posted the level1-trick already.

But maybe you didn't know that you can finish the game with negative time left:
If you enter the screen with Jaffar just wait left of the floor-trap and let the time expire. Jaffar obviously lacks the magic to stay there and wait for you to fight and kill the princess at the same time, and thus if you beat him after 60+ minutes the princess is still alive...

BTW, my best time is about 54 minutes left. No cheating, but a strange bug that teleported my right to the end of the final level after leaving level 1, haha!
the fall guy is offline                         Send a private message to the fall guy
Old 02-12-2007, 11:26 AM   #299
Icewolf
Il Lupone

Send a message via ICQ to Icewolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by the fall guy View Post
S[...]BTW, my best time is about 54 minutes left. No cheating, but a strange bug that teleported my right to the end of the final level after leaving level 1, haha!
I'd sure like to have a closer explanation of that!
Old 02-12-2007, 02:12 PM   #300
the fall guy

Hmm, I only encountered that bug once and don't know if I can ever reproduce it, but as far as I remember I proceeded as follows:

Round1:
I started the game (downloaded here) in dosbox and played a new game (cheats disabled), saving at every possible save-position to be able to reload in case of unexpected disaster. I reunited with my shadow and crossed the invisible tiles. At the next screen with those falling tiles I saved the game and went to lunch, but obviously forgot to pause it.
When I came back after about 30 mins the intro/demo mode had been playing for quite some time. Thus I reloaded the game, finished it and then started all over.

Round2:
After finishing level1 (I think I had not taken the sword but outmaneuvered the guard) I was right back where I last saved the game and just had to run past that falling tiles, climb up to Jaffar and beat him. The hall of fame entry shows 56:22 remaining for this round...

I'm not sure about this, but I think I also had some problems with the copy-protection showing up despite of the crack during round1. This happens to me every now and then, I don't know what exactly triggers that. Maybe this hasn't even to do with the bug, maybe it was the lunch...

Anyway, I'd say that from a dramaturgical point of view one should delay Jaffars defeat to the last possible moment. For instance, the end of 'Goldfinger' would be much less funny if James Bond managed to turn off the nuclear device with 30 minutes remaining 'til total destruction instead of 7 seconds