Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 03-02-2005, 05:14 PM   #71
Wired
Abandonia nerd

During the good old Amiga days I don't think I bought more than a handful of games (hey, I was young and poor), the same goes for my early PC days (the 90's) but nowadays I rarely download a new game, if I want it I either buy it at release (rare) or wait until it drops in price.

Sure I download a lot of old 'abandoned' games but that's pretty much it.
Wired is offline                         Send a private message to Wired
Old 03-02-2005, 06:30 PM   #72
xoopx
Hero Gamer

Quote:
Originally posted by mouse31e+Feb 3 2005, 03:58 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (mouse31e @ Feb 3 2005, 03:58 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Quote:
Originally posted by xoopx@Feb 3 2005, 02:26 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Anubis
Quote:
@Feb 3 2005, 02:04 PM

About 6 years ago I bought first time trough eBay Corel Draw (can't remember version) and Office 97. Both versions were complete version and I paid 15 bucks for each at the time.

from a revenue point of view, thats quite useless to the software company.
they dont get a share of that $15 for either game (LOL although the RIAA tried to get royalties payed on used cd's LOL)
it wouldnt have made any difference to their finances if you warezed those 2 programs, or nowadays, used something like openoffice or abiword and some free paint program like the gimp or an old version of paintshop pro from a magazine cd
Actually it makes a huge difference to the software companies.

If someone owns a copy of a program and makes it available as warez then a huge number of illegal copies are released into circulation and the companies sales will drop dramatically.

If someone resells their copy then the number of copies in circulation remains the same and the majority of people will continue to buy the software new, generating money for the developers! [/b][/quote]
that doesnt even make any sense.
xoopx is offline                         Send a private message to xoopx
Old 03-02-2005, 07:28 PM   #73
mouse31e
Games Master

Quote:
Originally posted by xoopx+Feb 3 2005, 07:30 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (xoopx @ Feb 3 2005, 07:30 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Quote:
Originally posted by mouse31e@Feb 3 2005, 03:58 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by xoopx@Feb 3 2005, 02:26 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Anubis
Quote:
Quote:
@Feb 3 2005, 02:04 PM

About 6 years ago I bought first time trough eBay Corel Draw (can't remember version) and Office 97. Both versions were complete version and I paid 15 bucks for each at the time.

from a revenue point of view, thats quite useless to the software company.
they dont get a share of that $15 for either game (LOL although the RIAA tried to get royalties payed on used cd's LOL)
it wouldnt have made any difference to their finances if you warezed those 2 programs, or nowadays, used something like openoffice or abiword and some free paint program like the gimp or an old version of paintshop pro from a magazine cd

Actually it makes a huge difference to the software companies.

If someone owns a copy of a program and makes it available as warez then a huge number of illegal copies are released into circulation and the companies sales will drop dramatically.

If someone resells their copy then the number of copies in circulation remains the same and the majority of people will continue to buy the software new, generating money for the developers!
that doesnt even make any sense. [/b][/quote]
of course it makes sense.

Warez should be stopped at the point it is made available as warez.

If I put a piece of ?800 software on the internet for people to download and 1000 people download it that is ?800000 that the developer does not recieve.

If I sell my copy to one of those people then I make some money and the company will still potentially recieve upto ?799200 from the other 999 people who still want the program. Yes, others will buy it cheap from people like me who are selling their copies and some will decide they don't want it anyway but the company will still sell a fair number of legitimate copies.

The companies don't have a problem with copies being resold through ebay etc. because it doesn't make a huge difference to their sales. Warez does.
mouse31e is offline                         Send a private message to mouse31e
Old 03-02-2005, 07:31 PM   #74
JJXB
Pi-voh

mouse, that only applies when the warez user doesn't actually buy the software after downloading it.
JJXB is offline                         Send a private message to JJXB
Old 03-02-2005, 07:35 PM   #75
mouse31e
Games Master

Quote:
Originally posted by JJXB@Feb 3 2005, 08:31 PM
mouse, that only applies when the warez user doesn't actually buy the software after downloading it.
True, but I suspect the majority don't!

EDIT: and xoopx by his own admission is one of those who doesn't often buy software when he already has the warezed copy!
Old 03-02-2005, 07:45 PM   #76
JJXB
Pi-voh

i want to buy certain games i have warez versions of but i will never ever buy windows xp (and upwards) because of that activation bullsh1t
Old 03-02-2005, 07:49 PM   #77
mouse31e
Games Master

Quote:
Originally posted by JJXB@Feb 3 2005, 08:45 PM
i want to buy certain games i have warez versions of but i will never ever buy windows xp (and upwards) because of that activation bullsh1t
I don't see the problem with activation. You pay for the software, you install it, you register it and that's it. It's not exactly hassle except it means you actually have to pay for the software!

Also, if you have software and keep saying "I'll buy this one day" (I'm guilty of this as well) then the situation is exactly as I described above because how many of those programs will you actually get round to buying?
Old 03-02-2005, 08:24 PM   #78
xoopx
Hero Gamer

it doesnt make sense because my point was that buying used software doesnt make any difference to the software companies.
they dont get any money from it.
anubis then went off on a tangent about it saves them money because people cant warez the copy that he bought used.
this doesnt make sense. it only takes ONE person out of the total copies sold to put it on the internet, and theres your warez. buying one copy on ebay isnt going to stop that.
Old 03-02-2005, 08:28 PM   #79
xoopx
Hero Gamer

Quote:
Originally posted by mouse31e@Feb 3 2005, 08:28 PM

The companies don't have a problem with copies being resold through ebay etc. because it doesn't make a huge difference to their sales. Warez does.
i never said they had a problem with it, because like i said.. it makes no difference to them whatsover.
i never said warez doesnt make a difference to them. you've just invented that idea!
what i was saying that buying a legit copy on ebay really doesnt make ANY difference.
the person who you bought it from couldve made copies of it for all their friends, and be sharing it on gnucleus before they sold it to you.

what im saying is, if you dont put down the bones for a new licenced copy, you may as well warez it, IN TERMS OF REVENUE FOR THE COMPANIES.
from a legal and moral point of view of course, you are being legit. which is important if you have a business or something.. or have bad dreams from being a warez person
Old 03-02-2005, 08:31 PM   #80
JJXB
Pi-voh

Quote:
Originally posted by mouse31e+Feb 3 2005, 08:49 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (mouse31e @ Feb 3 2005, 08:49 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-JJXB@Feb 3 2005, 08:45 PM
I don't see the problem with activation. You pay for the software, you install it, you register it and that's it. It's not exactly hassle except it means you actually have to pay for the software!

Also, if you have software and keep saying "I'll buy this one day" (I'm guilty of this as well) then the situation is exactly as I described above because how many of those programs will you actually get round to buying? [/b][/quote]
you have to re-activate xp EVERY TIME you upgrade so how much in phone calls is that going to cost if your internet isn't set up on your computer then?? normally i wouldn't mind activation (as in one-off activation) but microsoft will make longhorn so that you have to activate it a lot more than the normal piece of software and why should anyone have to go through that bullsh1t every time they have to reformat their computer etc??