Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 23-01-2005, 01:21 AM   #21
mt toom

Quote:
Originally posted by wendymaree@Jan 22 2005, 09:34 AM
Feel free to comment and discuss this game here. Also, if you have any useful tips or tricks don't hesitate to share them with the others! Thanks!

Review & Download
The archive seems to be missing the drivers directory and the madecd.exe file maybe more ??? help please thanks

mt toom

Old 23-01-2005, 01:36 AM   #22
Ioncannon
Abandonia Homie

Send a message via MSN to Ioncannon

I loved this game.... Want some Rye? course you do!
Ioncannon is offline                         Send a private message to Ioncannon
Old 23-01-2005, 02:21 AM   #23
wendymaree
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally posted by mt toom+Jan 23 2005, 02:21 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (mt toom @ Jan 23 2005, 02:21 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-wendymaree@Jan 22 2005, 09:34 AM
Feel free to comment and discuss this game here. Also, if you have any useful tips or tricks don't hesitate to share them with the others! Thanks!

Review & Download
The archive seems to be missing the drivers directory and the madecd.exe file maybe more ??? help please thanks

mt toom [/b][/quote]
mr toom, before you jump to conclusions like this, would you please read the review where it gives you instructions. The files you mentioned will only appear on your hard drive AFTER you have clicked on install.ext.
wendymaree is offline                         Send a private message to wendymaree
Old 23-01-2005, 02:24 AM   #24
wendymaree
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally posted by funky@Jan 22 2005, 06:28 PM
It says "Since you have already installed RTZ"

But I haven't installed it yet.* Another windows 95 only game?
Funky, I read in a previous post where Stroggy mentioned that the CD rom version of the game worked fine on his XP system. This is the full CD Rom version and no files have been removed.

In the past I've paid a lot of money for games that have never worked on my computer. The game companies gave me half-baked answers that never worked, either. Not even the game companies can guarantee that a game will work, and neither can Abandonia. Especially such old games that have been ripped from CDs or disks.

This version of Return to Zork is the full game without any files removed. However, it is meant to be run from a CD, so perhaps complications arise when files are uncompressed into the same directory as where install.exe resides.

Suggestion: Unzip the archive and burn it onto a CD. After burning, remove all trace of the game from your hard drive. Then run the 'install.exe' file from the CD to install/uncompress files onto your hard drive. If you don't have a burner, but you have more than one drive, it might work if the uncompressed files are installed on a different directory to where install.exe is. But I think burning the files to a CD and running the game from there is the best option.
wendymaree is offline                         Send a private message to wendymaree
Old 23-01-2005, 06:16 AM   #25
wendymaree
Home Sweet Abandonia

UPDATE:

I've been fiddling around with the archive and I tried zipping up the files from the CD rom onto the hard drive. Then I unzipped them. Then I clicked on 'install.exe' on the hard drive only to get the same message as Kon Tiki: 'As the game has already been installed on your hard drive, you can now choose new reconfigurations.'

Then I burnt the files onto a CD and tried clicking on 'install.exe' from there but got the same message. When I put the original CD of the game back into the CD drive, I got: 'Thank you for purchasing this game, press any key to continue....'

Then you choose a directory, etc, and the files are installed.

So it seems that install.exe will only work from the original CD Rom. I've never heard of this happening. Sorry everyone, it's not just a matter of configuring systems. As it stands, it seems that once you remove the files from the CD Rom, the install.exe won't install.

If anyone knows a work-around for this, please tell. I'll pm Data and see if he knows of an answer.
Old 23-01-2005, 07:09 AM   #26
GraveDigger
Game Wizzard

Send a message via ICQ to GraveDigger

How about replacing the rip with original floppy version. I have the Original Floppies' iSOs in HD-Copy format.

Give my idea a thought and let me know!

Editing here:

I have just read a reply that the game doesn't run in Xp. I recenty replayed and reviewed the CDRom version of the game in XP and it worked fine with me.
GraveDigger is offline                         Send a private message to GraveDigger
Old 23-01-2005, 07:18 AM   #27
wendymaree
Home Sweet Abandonia

Well, thanks for that, GraveDigger. *smiling for the first time today* This would be fantastic.

I 'll just wait a little bit to see if Data, or anyone else, has a work-around for this problem. But if not, then we'll gladly take that game from you.

And thanks again! :bye:

Old 23-01-2005, 07:49 AM   #28
GraveDigger
Game Wizzard

Send a message via ICQ to GraveDigger

By the way, if you decide to put the floppy version of the game then make sure that you have "12+1 x HD-1.44" floppies handy to regenerate the floppies using HD-Copy, which is a freeware utility.

Return To Zork (12 HD-1.44)
Return To Zork Upgrade (1 HD-1.44)
GraveDigger is offline                         Send a private message to GraveDigger
Old 23-01-2005, 07:51 AM   #29
Stroggy
Home Sweet Abandonia

If only I could remember how I made it work, but i'm definite it worked eventually!
However I did spend some time fiddling with everything. Trying to figure out how to make it work is sometimes part of the abandonware fun. The fiddling itself isn't much fun but when it does actually work and you see the images rolling by and hear the sound as it was meant to be heard... thats always fun.
Old 23-01-2005, 09:01 AM   #30
wendymaree
Home Sweet Abandonia

Part of the fun....must remember that.

If we can't get this archive working, then I'll upload another one. There are a few to choose from, and it's such a great game we must have it onsite, and it definitely can be made to work on XP.