Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 05-10-2005, 06:22 AM   #1
Aristharus
Abandonia nerd

Send a message via MSN to Aristharus

I play Diplomacy online at Redscape and several other online games (not all exactly play-by-email, but some very similar with a site online on which to make your moves, sorta like play-by-forum). I'm growing tired of these, and I'd like to find more similar games. Something that you'll just have to look into once every three days, once a week or so.

So please, tell me where you people play your favourite strategy board games and such online?

EDIT: Oops, just figured that this should go to the Multiplayer in General forum, so mods, feel free to move it.
Old 05-10-2005, 03:32 PM   #2
Danny252
I have a custom title!

Moved.
Ive never played a Play by Email game, and I don't intend to. It would take too long..
Old 05-10-2005, 05:55 PM   #3
Reup
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

I once played a game of chess through email. It took about three weeks... and then I lost... But the slow pace really took the fun out of it, I thought. So I haven't played any other games through email since...
Reup is offline                         Send a private message to Reup
Old 06-10-2005, 03:07 AM   #4
taikara
Abandonia Homie

I once played an adventure-RPG-ish play-by-email game that was fairly nifty.

It was a long time ago, it was called "Heroes" something...

basically, it was a small group of people who registered with the webmaster of this site, who made profiles of each of our characters...

Then, the webmaster would individually send us a scenario, and we would write back with our choice of what to do... the webmaster would then write back what happened, and we would again choose our action.

We could meet other player characters if we happened to be in the same place within the same period of time (such as choosing to go in a tavern that another player hadn't chosen to leave yet).

Then, we could interact via the webmaster, and choose to exchange emails so we could plan our actions together.

As we gained items and experience, the webmaster would also update our profiles.

I thought it was a really neat concept
taikara is offline                         Send a private message to taikara
Old 06-10-2005, 04:16 AM   #5
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

By experience, any game which is not made to be played by email is not worth playing by email.

A good example of games made to be played by email is Laser Squad Nemesis.
Old 06-10-2005, 06:05 AM   #6
Aristharus
Abandonia nerd

Diplomacy isn't made to be played through e-mail, but it actually works even better that way in my opinion. I have the board game, but as one full game of it needs 7 players, about 4 free rooms and around 14 hours (!) to play, it's not the easiest game to play on a real board.

On the internet you can always find the 7 required players (or much more if needed, I'm playing in a 44-player variant at the moment), and yes, online it does take months instead of the 14 hours, but you can sleep, eat, etc. in between.

It doesn't have to be a play-by-email game I'm looking for. I also play for example Vinci online. There is no e-mail involved, but everyone still makes the turns whenever they have time. One game does take long, but I normally play something like 15 games of it at a time, so there's a bit more action every time I go to make my moves. I'm just looking for some games that I can play without spending much time every day on it. So that I could just do whatever I do most of the day and for example every 2 hours sit down at the computer for 10-15 minutes to do my moves and then continue. Vinci and Diplomacy work fine here, but I need more!
Old 07-10-2005, 08:28 AM   #7
Aristharus
Abandonia nerd

I started playing Urban Dead. Not exactly even near to play-by-email, but fine for this purpose. It still doesn't kill more time than about 15 minutes a day. If someone knows other online games played on a browser like UD, I'd like to know.

I've played Kingdom of Loathing already, no need to suggest it. The vampire thing mentioned in Urban Dead's FAQ I tried too, although it seemed a little stupid.
Old 07-10-2005, 09:40 AM   #8
Bobbin Threadbare
Not quite dead.

Unhappy

Urban Dead rocks! Is the only decent MMOG to play.
Old 08-10-2005, 07:27 AM   #9
duckpatch
Game freak

E-mail X-COM is one but I've never played it..
duckpatch is offline                         Send a private message to duckpatch