Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 24-05-2004, 05:17 AM   #1
sportster00
Lurker

Default X-COM3

Hello, i'm new to this forum but not new to DOS games.

I downloaded xcom3 win95 a while ago. The game run fine on my win98se but when i enable music, unusual noise were heard and the game hang. The graphics and sound effects were perfect, so i guess i must have miss out some setting on my audigy (A2 drivers) sound card. Anyone have a clue ?
sportster00 is offline                         Send a private message to sportster00
Old 24-05-2004, 05:45 AM   #2
FreeFreddy

When you use music, do you set it as Soundblaster-music or General Midi?

Old 25-05-2004, 02:56 AM   #3
Anonymous

The music/sound for xcom3 were set to soundblaster through sound setup
menu and passed the sound test. There were no option for GM.

The sound/music/effect options showed up at the game's option menu when the correct sound card is selected. I don't have music problem with xcom1/2 so the problem might not be my sound card/drivers.

Anymore ideas to share ?

Old 25-05-2004, 06:11 AM   #4
FreeFreddy

You say there were no option for GM. What I meant select and try out these music settings for music (any one of them if there is at least one available, they are all almost the same):
1. Roland Sound Canvas
2.MPU-401
3.Roland RAP-10

You say it passed the test on Soundblaster Music, but maybe the game itself is missing the driver for that setting.

Old 25-05-2004, 06:51 AM   #5
FreeFreddy

Well, I downloaded the game from this site (it is an MS-Dos game though) and I didn't got any problems, there is an option for General Midi and all works perfect on Win 98SE except choppy mouse-movement. But if you want to try the game from this site, run the install-programm from Dos-Shell, not from the Explorer, or it won't start properly.

Old 25-05-2004, 09:54 AM   #6
Anonymous

Can you post the link for the dos version of xcom3 ? I will like to download and compare. I suspect missing 'music' files.

Btw, thanks for helping. What stage of the game are you at ?

Old 25-05-2004, 10:29 AM   #7
FreeFreddy

It's here on this site... :shock: Here is it: http://www.abandonia.com/game_display.php?ID=60
But I don't play this game at the monent, something other occupy my interest now.

Old 25-05-2004, 10:39 AM   #8
Anonymous

That's xcom2, i was talking about X-COM3: APOCALYPSE. No wonder i don't really understand what you said. But thanks anyway

Old 25-05-2004, 10:42 AM   #9
FreeFreddy

ops: I'm such ashamed. Sorry...

Old 05-06-2005, 02:29 PM   #10
Argith Nuei
Forum hobbit

Quote:
Originally posted by Anonymous@May 25 2004, 10:39 AM
That's xcom2, i was talking about X-COM3: APOCALYPSE. No wonder i don't really understand what you said. But thanks anyway
Have you tried using vdmsound to start up the game? If not, download it and try running the game with these settings. When vdmsound is installed, right-click on the xcom apoc file and select *run with vdmsound* You should get a startup window for vdm. Select create custom settings. You should now have a window showing several different settings t change. Sound,Memory,video and so on.
Go to the *sound* setup. Select soundblaster x1 as your soundcard, port 220, DMA should be 5 and IRQ 1. Then select from the options underneath that you want to use (MIDI Sound) Try starting the game now. Worked for me and my friend.
Sorry if the above Setting names i,ve noted may not be called exactly that.
I dont remember the correct names and im quite far away from home and my own pc. :w00t: Good Luck!!!
Argith Nuei is offline                         Send a private message to Argith Nuei