Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 30-08-2006, 05:35 AM   #1
jeriel

alright...heres my problem...i downloaded xcom apocalypse and dosbox....got the game to run but its all slow and theres no music. i have the files of the game on a folder on my hard drive.

ive seen other threads about this "imgmount" and ISO thing but i have no idea what those people are saying. I tried going to emule for the ISO thing but you have to pay a yearly subscription and i just dont have that kind of money to spare right now. About that imgmount, you need something about a cd?....well i just dont have that right now and so its just computer files.

my question is how can i get the game to run smoothly onto my computer?......im pretty sure thats possible.

Old 30-08-2006, 05:45 AM   #2
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

If you are using DOSBox, you need to find the right amount of cycles. It may be possible, if your computer is not fast enough, that you just can't have a "decent" speed with DOSBox.

On another note, the game at the very beginning is inherently slow until you manage to train your troops. This may be why you think the game is slow even tough it been made that way. When you fire with the minigun, is the fire slow too or it's only your squaddies moving around which is slow?

For the music, it been ripped in the version from Abandonia. But trust me on this one: the game is actually better without music. You're missing nothing.
Old 30-08-2006, 07:16 AM   #3
jeriel

right amount of cycles?...trial and error huh?...alright

ive played the game with the cd...lost that cd a long time ago and played it on a year 1993 computer about 2 years ago...it was seriously faster and ran a lot smoother than this dosbox version...ive beaten the game and just playing it again for nostalgic reasons...plus i never did get that stupid teleporter..........the point is i know how fast it could run, but everything about it is slow...the framerate (which is at 0 skips) the shooting...the running...and the aliens...so yeah...everything about it is slow.

about the music...its not as bad as you make it say...the reason why i want it is cause i cant play games without their own music and sound effects or i go crazy...LOL

Old 30-08-2006, 09:03 AM   #4
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

If it's really that slow in DOSBox, then it must be your machine which is not good enough. You could try using VDMSound instead and look if it works. If you are lucky, playing with the compatibility tabs might make the game playable on plain XP too. Both those solutions would solve your speed problem.
Old 30-08-2006, 11:52 AM   #5
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

What hardware configuration do you have?

Also, for increased performance in DosBox, you can enter dosbox.conf and change core=normal to core=dynamic. Allows you to increase the cyclecount about twice the usual value, but causes crashes every now and then.

VDMSound is another option, too. It tends to work faster then DosBox.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 30-08-2006, 01:44 PM   #6
Data
retired

try core=dynamic
and cycles=auto
Old 30-08-2006, 03:11 PM   #7
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
cycles=auto[/b]

That's actually possible?

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 30-08-2006, 03:26 PM   #8
Nigga
Forum hobbit

QUOTE(Eagle of Fire @ Aug 30 2006, 08:45 AM) [snapback]251789[/snapback]
Quote:
For the music, it been ripped in the version from Abandonia. But trust me on this one: the game is actually better without music. You're missing nothing.
[/b]
You don't mean that music is BAAAAAAD, do you??? :blink:
I think that music suits the plot just perfectly!!!
And also I COMPLETELY DISAGREE that the game is better without music >

QUOTE(jeriel @ Aug 30 2006, 10:16 AM) [snapback]251799[/snapback]
Quote:
the reason why i want it is cause i cant play games without their own music and sound effects or i go crazy...LOL
[/b]
Man, I just AGREE with you!!!

"What if everything you see is more than what you see-the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You can either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto
Nigga is offline                         Send a private message to Nigga
Old 30-08-2006, 03:39 PM   #9
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
I tried going to emule for the ISO thing but you have to pay a yearly subscription and i just dont have that kind of money to spare right now.[/b]
Ehh? What? Emule does not require any subscription, so what the hell are you talking about?

-- Reed Richards
Old 31-08-2006, 06:42 AM   #10
jeriel

first of all...i went to google->emule->"some piece of crap download that i had to pay for" (probably wasnt it but still..LOL) and thats where it ended my search.

is that vdmsound thing another program?...addon?...or something like that?...or just another emulator?

its a 2ghz computer im using...compared to a 300mhz computer i used the cd for.

and...something else...i forgot....oh...that auto cycle stuff, can you expand on that?