Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Closed Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 12:36 PM   #91
ado
Forum hobbit

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(humorguy @ Mar 11 2007, 12:34 PM) [snapback]282917[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
We don't really get adventures any more...
[/b]
this is true though - i never quite understood why people just started to lose interest in adventure games when they were so popular back in the 90s. strange.
ado is offline                         Send a private message to ado
Old 11-03-2007, 03:03 PM   #92
Hadiel
Abandonia nerd

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ado @ Mar 11 2007, 01:36 PM) [snapback]282929[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(humorguy @ Mar 11 2007, 12:34 PM) [snapback]282917[/snapback]
Quote:
We don't really get adventures any more...
[/b]
this is true though - i never quite understood why people just started to lose interest in adventure games when they were so popular back in the 90s. strange.
[/b][/quote]
Remnants of the hippie empire?

I agree to the point were old games were created with more effort than today's games... It's almost as if they only focus themselves to make a game look really shiny and flashy and such, at the cost of gameplay... (few exceptions there)

Take Chrome Specforce for example...
I mean, sure! it looks great, but if you can't navigate your way to waypoint marker one because you didn't get the key, and the vehicle your supposed to be driving is completely out of control (no suspension, sending it flying every 2 turns.) then i'd say no. No thank you dear game company but your game's not up to my gaming standards...

I rest my case...
Hadiel is offline                         Send a private message to Hadiel
Old 13-03-2007, 02:51 PM   #93
silz
Abandonia nerd

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(humorguy @ Feb 8 2007, 10:32 PM) [snapback]278527[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Are you sure you want Jade Empire SE? Because I thought I did until I found out is had that dreaded 'console conversion problem' - what is that, you ask yourself? That is movement by camera as opposed to movement by character. What do I mean? Well, movement by camera means that if your character is facing you then the WASD system would actually be S to walk toward you, D to turn to his left, A to turn to his right and W to turn around so his back is to you. But now his back is toward you, W will now move him 'into' the screen, A will turn him to face to the left, D will face him to turn to the right and S will turn him around to face you.

Now take that system and add 5 bad guy ninja's fighting you and running around all over the place - imagine how the above control system will work for you?

So unless you are an expert joypad user, you're done for, as the often quoted WASD and mouse system that Bioware spouts on about is nothing like it, they're trying to pull the wool over PC gamers eyes... Otherwise , why would they keep mentioning the WASD and mouse system for the game?!
[/b]
You are right, humorguy the Jade Empire SE control does play worse. In fact it play exactly like a FPS which is even worse than KoToR. (FPS/RPG FTL) The A/D is actually strafe left/right, similar to Oblivion, the system I hate but funny since I still completed Morrowind :tai: . The only thing is the combat won't be a major pain like those in KoToR as it face locked your present opponent. I forced myself to endure a little bit and it pays fruit. The superb storyline pulls me in and I am gonna complete the game no matter what.
silz is offline                         Send a private message to silz
Old 15-03-2007, 05:10 AM   #94
STFM
Abandonia nerd

why dont they let you fully customise your control config in console FPS'?
I want my MOH buttons to be the same as COD and Halo >
STFM is offline                         Send a private message to STFM
Old 21-03-2007, 11:04 AM   #95
Maikel
Abandonia Homie

I've had a lot of new games which I truly liked. Most recently it's Jade Empire. Other games I have really enjoyed lately are

Dreamfall: in terms of art direction and story. It wasn't a hard game, which was good for the story. After completing the game you really felt bad, you didn't want to end things that way.

Fable: The lost Chapters > Great atmosphere, good art direction and very decent gameplay.

Deus ex 1: Great story. All about choices

Chronicles of Riddick: Awesome.

I tend to like games which actually make you feel part of the world. Good music, voice-acting, and visual surroundings are key factors. Older games do tend to have bigger replay value.
Maikel is offline                         Send a private message to Maikel
Old 21-03-2007, 01:41 PM   #96
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

I do agree with quite a few things said before, but there's something I'm afraid hadn't been said yet.

Yes, we are getting old.

When a gamer is younger, the life is simpler. In other words, how many of us (who aren't living a carefree lives at home, with somebody else taking care of the household) really have enough time to get into a game?

I've seen and bought some new games that impressed me at first, but I never even got the chance to find out if I really like them, because I would have to take a weekend off to get into those games. That's why I still have some games I never even played (even a few years after I've bought them). It's a sad fact, but at a certain point in time, reserving time to play long games simply falls down to the bottom positions on the priority list.

With older games it's simpler. We remember them, we can recolect memories, tricks we used to know and it's easier to get back into them. Plus they have a certain sentimental value no new game could ever posses (simply because it's new and can't bring us back into the carefree days of the past).
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos
Old 21-03-2007, 01:58 PM   #97
Maikel
Abandonia Homie

Kids will have the same sentimental value about games from this era as we have with games roughly from 1990 till 1994
Maikel is offline                         Send a private message to Maikel
Old 21-03-2007, 02:07 PM   #98
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

Exactly. So to them a game like Medal of Honour will represent something like (let's say) C&C represented to us. It's not the matter of which game is better, it's about capturing the spirit of the generation that grows up with it.

And we're not growing up with games anymore, which does in a way alienate us from what is currently made.
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos
Old 21-03-2007, 02:15 PM   #99
humorguy
Super Freak

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sebatianos @ Mar 21 2007, 02:07 PM) [snapback]284445[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Exactly. So to them a game like Medal of Honour will represent something like (let's say) C&C represented to us. It's not the matter of which game is better, it's about capturing the spirit of the generation that grows up with it.

And we're not growing up with games anymore, which does in a way alienate us from what is currently made.
[/b]

I think you might be all surprised. My Nephew is 15 years old and has just discovered the Quest series. He has got the Police Quest series XP compatible pack and is looking to get the others! He has also surprised me by saying he got Bladerunner in a charity shop and is loving it, with no problem with the graphics! Youngsters may surprise us in what they become interested in. I think our generation of games will be found and played for a coupel more generations, with each couple years a couple of classics from the 90's dropping off the radar forever to be lost, but that will be a long time from now.
humorguy is offline                         Send a private message to humorguy
Old 21-03-2007, 04:28 PM   #100
gregor
Home Sweet Abandonia

not to meniton the remakes and new techniques adopted on old games.

just a few days ago they remade quake with some lighting that before they needed some supercomputers to do it. now a dual core with good graphics would do. it looks awesome (they actually showed the doom pic).

then you have jDoom and Duke nukem remake and then there is a project to remake ultima undewrold with new graphics and not to meniton those guys recreating UFO - alien invasion (even the buggy uncomplte version looks awesome and playes nice).

*waiting for remake of QBasic nibbles*
Lifts-Her-Tail: But it is huge! It could take me all night!
Crantius Colto: Plenty of time, my sweet. Plenty of time.
From The Lusty Argonian Maid by Crassius Curio found in TES3: Morrowind
gregor is offline                         Send a private message to gregor
Closed Thread