Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 22-06-2006, 12:51 AM   #1
Tharg

The game runs fine for several months of game time, but then eventually it all start to go wrong. I get a UFO detected and its size is listed as 'PURSUE WITHOUT INTERCEPTION', then shortly afterwards the geoscape messes up completely, with polygons all over the place. I've tried the windows and the Dos versions, and they both go wrong in the same way.

I have a PIII, 1Ghz, 296ish RAM, Radeon 9250, win98. I don't use Dosbox as I have win98, and when I've tried it previously it's been much too slow for me anyway.

PS : Hi, EoF.

Old 22-06-2006, 02:11 AM   #2
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Hi Tharg.

This is a very odd error message. I never encountered it myself. Which version of UFO are you playing? You should consider patching the game up a little if it's the original unpatched version because it was known to be buggy.
Old 22-06-2006, 06:03 AM   #3
Japo
Autonomous human

Yes that bug is clearly inherent to the game, otherwise it would appear even when starting the game.
Old 22-06-2006, 11:36 AM   #4
Tharg

I've tried Mok's patch and it still goes wrong, I tried DosBox for the hell of it too and I still got the problem. I'll try f0dder's patch and see if that's any better. It's odd that this does seem to be inherent to the game, I get the same in every game I start, yet googling 'PURSUE WITHOUT INTERCEPTION' and XCOM (or UFO) gets only one hit on google, which dosen't relate to the bug.

In fact, that Google hit appears to be a file from the game, English.dat. The part of the file with the text reads :

Quote:
SOUTH WEST WEST NORTH WEST SELECT ACTION CONTINUE INTERCEPTION PURSUIT PURSUE WITHOUT INTERCEPTION VERY LARGE LARGE MEDIUM SMALL VERY SMALL GROUND VERY LOW LOW HIGH VERY HIGH Detected SIZE ALTITUDE HEADING SPEED CENTRE ON UFO-TIME=5 Secs TRACKING LOST REDIRECT CRAFT GO TO LAST KNOWN UFO POSITION UFO- CRAFT- BASE- ALIEN BASE- CRASH SITE- LANDING SITE- WAY POINT- TERROR SITE-[/b]
Which seems to suggest it's getting the text string one before the one it should.

Thanks for the help, I'll let you know if I fix it.

Old 22-06-2006, 12:14 PM   #5
Data
retired

did you try redownloading the game ?
(the dos version is still aviable)
Old 22-06-2006, 12:20 PM   #6

Yeah, then I copied the save game across, but it's still the same. I guess that could mean my save is corrupted (and has become corrupted in the same way every time I've played). It's such a good game that I'll probably try starting another anyway so this'll be tested.

One other thing, it's started since I have built a Hyperwave Decoder, and I'm in the process of building an AVENGER (or whatever the best ship's called), I think I was at around this stage that it went wrong before too.

Old 22-06-2006, 03:05 PM   #7
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

You should definitly use more than one save in case it happen again, then revert to an older save if anything else fail.