Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 06-02-2007, 11:12 AM   #81
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Yeah, but XP doesn't have the scalers that DosBox uses.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 07-02-2007, 01:13 PM   #82
GTX2GvO
The (Web)Space Pirate

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(the_fifth_horseman @ Feb 6 2007, 01:12 PM) [snapback]278219[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Yeah, but XP doesn't have the scalers that DosBox uses.
[/b]
Scalers?
hu..?

Member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
GTX2GvO is offline                         Send a private message to GTX2GvO
Old 07-02-2007, 04:32 PM   #83

Ugh, I could never figure out how to do well in this game. It always seemed out of control to me, and I always remember having disaster after disaster ruin my progress. Maybe I'll give it another try. Last time I tried it out it worked fine on my XP machine, but I know that it runs well in dosbox too.

Old 09-02-2007, 07:43 AM   #84
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
Scalers?
hu..?[/b]
Scalers that improve/enchance low resolution graphics. Neat stuff, I tell you!

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 18-02-2007, 05:52 PM   #85
Guest_Josh_*

Okay, I have had problems getting Sim Earth to work using DOSBox. I set up DOSBox 0.65 the way that it is set up via the Abandonia tutorial. I downloaded the game, and extracted the files. I renamed the folder "EARTH" (without quotes) and moved it into the CDrive. I typed :CD EARTH, and then "install". I chose install from Drive A to Drive C, yadda yadda yadda.

When it came time to install, it said "cannot find simearth.dat from drive A" or whatnot. So I looked in the EARTH folder, and lo and behold, simearth.dat was in the folder. I created a folder called ADrive and put that in my C drive (next to the DOS folder that has all the DOSBox info). I copied all the files under "EARTH" and put those into ADrive, then I ran DOSBox, and typed "mount A: C:\ADrive". My A drive is now the ADrive folder.

I reinstalled Sim Earth, same process. And everything worked smoothly. I now have a working version of Sim Earth going on right now as I type this.

I hope this helps anybody using Windows XP with DOSBox that had the same troubles.

To run the game after installation just type "simearth" (without quotes) into the prompt. And if you want to play it after that just type: "CD simearth" -> "simearth" (again, no quotes).

Old 18-02-2007, 05:56 PM   #86
Guest_Josh_*

Correction: To run again, (if you installed it the way I did) type: "CD EARTH" -> "simearth"

Old 01-03-2007, 04:42 PM   #87
mirrorshades
Forum hobbit

Quote:
FATAL ERROR: PROGRAM ABORTED
FALLOC NOMEM 0:_fmalloc(0)[/b]
I am getting this error as well... program installed OK, that error shows up after typing "simearth" (after install).

I've tried changing the memory settings in DOSBox and re-running the install with different options (no sound, fewer colors, etc), but still getting the error. Anyone have any other ideas?
mirrorshades is offline                         Send a private message to mirrorshades
Old 01-03-2007, 04:55 PM   #88
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Which version of DosBox are you using? Maybe try an older one.

-- Reed Richards
Old 02-03-2007, 12:43 PM   #89
mirrorshades
Forum hobbit

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(the_fifth_horseman @ Mar 1 2007, 12:55 PM) [snapback]281486[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Which version of DosBox are you using? Maybe try an older one.
[/b]
Tried with the latest stable release (0.65) and a couple CVS builds. Per your suggestion, I went and got the oldest version I could find from the sourceforge page (0.58) and tried it -- it gives the exact same error.

The DOSBox "games" page for SimEarth shows that the game is supported in both 0.58 and 0.65.

So I'm stumped!
mirrorshades is offline                         Send a private message to mirrorshades
Old 02-03-2007, 01:18 PM   #90
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

The error seems to be memory-related. Try playing with memory size and changing XMS/EMS/UMB settings (this will help you with doing the latter without leaving DosBox for a second).

-- Reed Richards