Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Community News & Feedback > Old Suggestions
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

View Poll Results: Would adding a community reviews subforum be a good idea?
Yes 29 70.73%
No 12 29.27%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 24-05-2006, 03:04 PM   #31
Quintopotere
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally posted by the_fifth_horseman
Two thumbs up - Kosta liked the idea, and it's only a matter of a couple quick formalities to get it running.
:w00t: Weheee :Brain:
Old 29-05-2006, 06:56 PM   #32
Kosta
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

As per people's request, the community reviews area is available here:
http://www.abandonia.com/forum/index.php?showforum=34

thank the_fifth_horseman for compiling the help files and rules. Note that all new topics in that forum will be validated by the moderator(s) so they will not appear on in the forum immediately

Kosta is offline                         Send a private message to Kosta
Old 19-07-2006, 06:15 PM   #33
guesst
Abandonia Homie

Going to resurect this one. Kind of a "how's it going so far report." At the moment the community reivews section has a while whopping 4 reviews in it, and a remarkable lack of comments.

There's at least one review that should be there that isn't, the ill fated Robocop double review. The guy who made it said he'd post it there and never did. I'd put it there but it is long gone now. So that's one that's sad story of the community reviews board.

But even then, this seems like a failing idea.

The question I have is shouldn't related reviews be linked to their Abandonia game under "Extras"? Would/should that second Robocop review be linked to the first? I think it should. That being the case I'm going to link up my Volfied review unless someone objects. If we started linking user reviews to the main reviews maybe we'll drum up more interest in the community reviews board.

Then again, do we really want 25 headings under "Extras" for a game. No threat of that now, but if this does take off....
guesst is offline                         Send a private message to guesst
Old 19-07-2006, 07:01 PM   #34
Abi79
Home Sweet Abandonia

Send a message via Yahoo to Abi79

Quote:
The question I have is shouldn't related reviews be linked to their Abandonia game under "Extras"? Would/should that second Robocop review be linked to the first? I think it should. That being the case I'm going to link up my Volfied review unless someone objects. If we started linking user reviews to the main reviews maybe we'll drum up more interest in the community reviews board.
[/b]
Yes, I think it should be linked. The thing is that one can find out what more people thought of a particular game, just like in MobyGames for example (more descriptions, lots of reviews for games), and it could make the Community Reviews Area more popular. (imagine what people think when they know that the review they wrote is linked to on the main page)

Quote:
Then again, do we really want 25 headings under "Extras" for a game. No threat of that now, but if this does take off....[/b]
If this does take off, under "Extras" we can link to http://www.abandonia.com/forum/index...ct=Search&f=34 and tell people to enter the name of the game at "Search by Keywords" to find more reviews for it.
Abi79 is offline                         Send a private message to Abi79
Old 19-07-2006, 09:19 PM   #35
guesst
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
Then again, do we really want 25 headings under "Extras" for a game. No threat of that now, but if this does take off....
If this does take off, under "Extras" we can link to http://www.abandonia.com/forum/index...ct=Search&f=34 and tell people to enter the name of the game at "Search by Keywords" to find more reviews for it.
[/quote]
HOLD THE PHONE! That's a great idea that we need to impliment quickly. I'll mean some changes, but they're done they'll no doubt put life into the community reviews.
Add a default button, in the extras or where ever, that says "Read community reviews for this game." This drops to a search already programed to show all postings in the community reviews section with the name of that game in it. If the click and it's empty it should say, "There are no community reviews for this game. If you are a registered user you can write one" with a link to open up a new topic with the name of the game already in it.

Change #1, the button.
Change #2, unregistered guests will need to be able to read the reviews. They can't right now. They don't need write (or reply) privlages but they should be able to see what's there.

I know the community review is also for not-necessarly abandonia games, but it's not an un toward use of it. It may even revive the idea.
guesst is offline                         Send a private message to guesst
Old 20-07-2006, 06:04 AM   #36
Abi79
Home Sweet Abandonia

Send a message via Yahoo to Abi79

Quote:
HOLD THE PHONE! That's a great idea that we need to impliment quickly. I'll mean some changes, but they're done they'll no doubt put life into the community reviews.
Add a default button, in the extras or where ever, that says "Read community reviews for this game." This drops to a search already programed to show all postings in the community reviews section with the name of that game in it. If the click and it's empty it should say, "There are no community reviews for this game. If you are a registered user you can write one" with a link to open up a new topic with the name of the game already in it.

Change #1, the button.
Change #2, unregistered guests will need to be able to read the reviews. They can't right now. They don't need write (or reply) privlages but they should be able to see what's there.

I know the community review is also for not-necessarly abandonia games, but it's not an un toward use of it. It may even revive the idea.[/b]
You are a genius. Guys, what do you think of his idea? I say it should be implemented.
Abi79 is offline                         Send a private message to Abi79
Old 20-07-2006, 06:44 AM   #37
Icewolf
Il Lupone

Send a message via ICQ to Icewolf

Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
Quote:
I know the community review is also for not-necessarly abandonia games, but it's not an un toward use of it. It may even revive the idea.[/b]
You are a genius. Guys, what do you think of his idea? I say it should be implemented.[/b][/quote]Yes, that sounds pretty great! Thumbs up for guessssssssssssst k: k:
Old 20-07-2006, 11:37 AM   #38
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
The question I have is shouldn't related reviews be linked to their Abandonia game under "Extras"? Would/should that second Robocop review be linked to the first? I think it should. That being the case I'm going to link up my Volfied review unless someone objects. If we started linking user reviews to the main reviews maybe we'll drum up more interest in the community reviews board.[/b]
That's the big idea.
Quote:
Add a default button, in the extras or where ever, that says "Read community reviews for this game." This drops to a search already programed to show all postings in the community reviews section with the name of that game in it. If the click and it's empty it should say, "There are no community reviews for this game. If you are a registered user you can write one" with a link to open up a new topic with the name of the game already in it.[/b]
Agreed, sounds well enough.
Quote:
Then again, do we really want 25 headings under "Extras" for a game. No threat of that now, but if this does take off....[/b]
If there are multiple review threads for a single game, they will all be merged into a single thread. No worries about 25+ links to user reviews.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman