Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 28-12-2010, 10:38 AM   #11
person on extremes

ok fine, anybody else's opinions.
person on extremes is offline                         Send a private message to person on extremes
Old 28-12-2010, 11:49 PM   #12
Fruit Pie Jones
Now 50% Descriptivist!

I was eight years old when the game came out, and I played ET on my own Atari 2600. I remember enjoying it for a short while before thinking, "So...that's all there is?" Fortunately I had borrowed it from a friend rather than asking my parents to buy it for me, so I lost nothing but a little time, which I had in abundance at the age of eight.

ET didn't single-handedly destroy the video-game industry, of course, but it was an important factor in Atari's demise (at least, the demise of what was Atari at the time) and the Crash of 1983.

As for the buried-in-the-desert story, it's true to a point. Truckloads of Atari cartridges were indeed dumped in a landfill in Alamogordo, New Mexico, crushed, and subsequently covered over by concrete. For the most part, these weren't cartridges that were bought by consumers and then angrily sent "straight back to the company," though; they were unsold cartridges that were returned to Atari by distributors when it became apparent that their supply was far greater than demand would ever be. And I'll bet you any amount of money that ET isn't the only title resting in pieces down there.

Rating? From what I remember, I agree with Darth: 2 out of 5.
Old 29-12-2010, 04:53 AM   #13
Lulu_Jane
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Is this where I can start talking about FMV destroying Adventure gaming of the late 90's?

Old 29-12-2010, 04:54 AM   #14
DarthHelmet86
SuperFishMod

Yes it is, but I will burn you for it. FMV could be done well and then it was good...sadly it was just often done bad. I think 3D has done more damage to adventure games.
DarthHelmet86 is offline                         Send a private message to DarthHelmet86
Old 29-12-2010, 04:57 AM   #15
Lulu_Jane
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

You can't poop on me for my differring opinion, because I will poop first.

POOPATHON.

But yeah, I do think FMV (among other things) really helped drive the nail in the coffin for devs like Sierra. Terribly QA'd games with over 10 cd-roms that could barely run on a household machine. Also, there are a shedload of "interactive novels" (like Dracula Unleashed) which are great to run through now as nostalgia, mostly because we've all forgotten how shockingly they ran back in the day.

Aaaaaaand I'm spent
Old 29-12-2010, 04:59 AM   #16
DarthHelmet86
SuperFishMod

I wont poop on you Lulu, I is just kidding.
DarthHelmet86 is offline                         Send a private message to DarthHelmet86
Old 29-12-2010, 05:03 AM   #17
Lulu_Jane
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

What if I offer gold?

Anyways, I've never played ye olde ET game, it can't possibly be worse than a whole other heap of sub-par titles that came out then... OR CAN IT?
Old 29-12-2010, 06:19 AM   #18
TotalAnarchy
Surviving the Dark Age

3D has done almost no damage to the adventure genre, because most of today's adventures are actually 2.5D, and the couple of adventures that are full 3D such as Dreamfall, are actually pretty awesome.
Old 29-12-2010, 06:33 AM   #19
Lulu_Jane
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

High five fellow adventure nerd buddy! And boo for Ronqvist's seeming memory lapse concerning the third installment (whether it would be episodic or not.)
Old 29-12-2010, 11:05 PM   #20
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

i find it really silly when people refer to 3d games with scenes of static camera point of view "2.5d", that's really just wrong