Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 27-02-2010, 10:23 AM   #1
Saccade
[BANNED]

Default Serious Business

The Internet? Serious Business!

Why cyberspace isn't, and will never be, nirvana

AKA

After two decades online, I'm perplexed. It's not that I haven't had a gas of a good time on the Internet. I've met great people and even caught a hacker or two. But today, I'm uneasy about this most trendy and oversold community. Visionaries see a future of telecommuting workers, interactive libraries and multimedia classrooms. They speak of electronic town meetings and virtual communities. Commerce and business will shift from offices and malls to networks and modems. And the freedom of digital networks will make government more democratic.

Baloney. Do our computer pundits lack all common sense? The truth in no online database will replace your daily newspaper, no CD-ROM can take the place of a competent teacher and no computer network will change the way government works.

Consider today's online world. The Usenet, a worldwide bulletin board, allows anyone to post messages across the nation. Your word gets out, leapfrogging editors and publishers. Every voice can be heard cheaply and instantly. The result? Every voice is heard. The cacophony more closely resembles citizens band radio, complete with handles, harassment, and anonymous threats. When most everyone shouts, few listen. How about electronic publishing? Try reading a book on disc. At best, it's an unpleasant chore: the myopic glow of a clunky computer replaces the friendly pages of a book. And you can't tote that laptop to the beach. Yet Nicholas Negroponte, director of the MIT Media Lab, predicts that we'll soon buy books and newspapers straight over the Internet. Uh, sure.

What the Internet hucksters won't tell you is that the Internet is one big ocean of unedited data, without any pretense of completeness. Lacking editors, reviewers or critics, the Internet has become a wasteland of unfiltered data. You don't know what to ignore and what's worth reading. Logged onto the World Wide Web, I hunt for the date of the Battle of Trafalgar. Hundreds of files show up, and it takes 15 minutes to unravel them--one's a biography written by an eighth grader, the second is a computer game that doesn't work and the third is an image of a London monument. None answers my question, and my search is periodically interrupted by messages like, "Too many connectios, try again later."

Won't the Internet be useful in governing? Internet addicts clamor for government reports. But when Andy Spano ran for county executive in Westchester County, N.Y., he put every press release and position paper onto a bulletin board. In that affluent county, with plenty of computer companies, how many voters logged in? Fewer than 30. Not a good omen.

Point and click:
Then there are those pushing computers into schools. We're told that multimedia will make schoolwork easy and fun. Students will happily learn from animated characters while taught by expertly tailored software.Who needs teachers when you've got computer-aided education? Bah. These expensive toys are difficult to use in classrooms and require extensive teacher training. Sure, kids love computer games - but think of your own experience: can you recall even one educational filmstrip of decades past? I'll bet you remember the two or three great teachers who made a difference in your life.

Then there's cyber-business. We're promised instant catalog shopping--just point and click for great deals. We'll order airline tickets over the network, make restaurant reservations and negotiate sales contracts. Stores will become obsolete. So how come my local mall does more business in an afternoon than the entire Internet handles in a month? Even if there were a trustworthy way to send money over the Internet--which there isn't--the network is missing a most essential ingredient of capitalism: salespeople.

What's missing from this electronic wonderland? Human contact. Discount the fawning techno-burble about virtual communities. Computers and networks isolate us from one another. A network chat line is a limp substitute for meeting friends over coffee. No interactive multimedia display comes close to the excitement of a live concert. And who'd prefer cybersex to the real thing? While the Internet beckons brightly, seductively flashing an icon of knowledge-as-power, this non-place lures us to surrender our time on earth. A poor substitute it is, this virtual reality where frustration is legion and where--in the holy names of Education and Progress--important aspects of human interactions are relentlessly devalued.

[Stoll - you suck]
Saccade is offline                         Send a private message to Saccade
Old 01-03-2010, 10:05 PM   #2
Fruit Pie Jones
Now 50% Descriptivist!

Now Saccade, you know it's not polite to post someone else's 15-year-old op-ed piece without a citation.
Old 10-03-2010, 09:38 AM   #3
Saccade
[BANNED]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruit Pie Jones View Post
Now Saccade, you know it's not polite to post someone else's 15-year-old op-ed piece without a citation.
Look:
Quote:
[Stoll - You suck]
Saccade is offline                         Send a private message to Saccade
Old 12-03-2010, 07:38 AM   #4
arete
If All Else Fails, Play Dead

I like that, I really do

But don't forget mmorpgs and such putting us into Skinner boxes and feeding us useless rat treats.

And Wikipedia will tell you about Trafalgar, and youtube will show you a clip from Patrick O'Brian's Master and Commander, and you can discuss it on an erudite listserv such as the one I subscribe to (along with hearing other people's cat stories and recipes for marmalade, and the fact that it's called marmalade because the Portuguese made it from quinces).

In sum, the Internet is an excellent reference tool, if you need to find something quickly. But it doesn't have the gravitas of the Bodleian, I will say. However, the chances of me visiting the Bodleian today are a million to one, so I'll have to stick with Google, for now.

Nevertheless, going out for coffee trumps irc big time. Food and friends can't compare to comments on your Facebook status. So the internet isn't real life; you can't have an Ethiopian professor with a lazy eye and and an inferiority complex teaching you wonderful things in a terrible accent that sounds like gargling with gravel; you'll never see an african sunrise in the flesh. But at least you can find out exactly when your friends are planning to visit the beach on Saturday

"You have heard that it was said, 'You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you..."
arete is offline                         Send a private message to arete