Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 08-04-2005, 11:40 AM   #21
Zach

Yea, they got this game on the NES too. It's a lot of fun when you are first starting out. After you beat it a couple days and realize that there is a combination where you can never lose, and it takes only like 5 moves to win, it gets kinda boring, LOL.

Awesome game though!

Actually... I just took a look at the screenshots, and the countryside looks different... So I don't know if it's possible to win in like 5 moves on this version.
Old 10-04-2005, 01:20 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally posted by Zach@Apr 8 2005, 11:40 AM
Actually... I just took a look at the screenshots, and the countryside looks different... So I don't know if it's possible to win in like 5 moves on this version.
It's not. I know the "five move combo" you are speaking of on the NES. I tried it on this version and it didn't work.

Old 16-04-2005, 04:00 PM   #23
Microprose Veteran

Don't torture yourself playing the PC version.

Get a C-64 emulator (CCS64) instead. It has nicer colors and superb music! Not as pretty-looking as the Amiga version but more playable according to critics.

Old 24-04-2005, 09:22 PM   #24
AllOuttaAngst

Quote:
Originally posted by Execution Style@Mar 6 2005, 07:20 PM
I think I used to hit the fire button at that moment, too, although since I never had the manual (C64 days ) I really didn't know if that mattered.
Yeah I am pretty sure you had to hit the fire button - it thrusted your jousting stick.

The C64 version was the best I have played.

I must have played and won this game 1000 times.
AllOuttaAngst is offline                         Send a private message to AllOuttaAngst
Old 29-04-2005, 05:51 AM   #25
Christian IV
Game freak

The good things about this game said here have encouraged me
I have had the game for a while but have not palyed ityet,
so i will give it a try! thankx

Christian IV is offline                         Send a private message to Christian IV
Old 17-06-2005, 03:45 PM   #26
burt

Used to be one of my favorite games. You get better after a lot of playing, but a win is never guaranteed. Now i found it again i keep playing it every now and then. (-:

Here are some tips:

___Jousting:

The 4th bounce story (posted by execution style) is not exactly true; in the first, second and third round, the tip of the lance ends on different places, making it quite hard to judge at what height the tip ends (the x-axis is quite easy, i believe it's usually 7, but you can hardly screw that up). There's no need to judge though.

First round: 1 down
Second round: 3 down
Third round: 5 down

I tested it in a lot of cases, i think the only exceptions are there when you fight 'red' knights, but even then it worked quite a few times. (Depends on their skill?)

(At my computer the game locks up at the tournament unless i play in DosBox)

___Sword Fighting (raiding and saving the princess):
I prefer playing with Geoffrey Longsword (or whatsisname), because he's good at that (and he's the only one that doesn't look like a complete idiot ;-> ). Walk up to the enemy and push down enter. Now he does look like an idiot, but you can't lose this way. (-:
I think you can win with other knights too, depending on the skill of the knight you chose and the skill of the one you attack.

Always save the princess when asked. It's an easy way to get rid of one of the red knigths; they usually become quite annoying once you've killed the first of the green knights.

Raiding is always a better alternative than passing your turn.

___the rest:

In my opinion, castles suck! If you defend a land with a castle, the whole battle starts off by you losing 15, 30 or 45 percent of your castle. I'm not sure, but i think that the breach in the wall made during the siege determines how much advantage you have while defending a castle, but usually there's more disadvantage than advantage. (plus it slows down the game play, because you have to watch every battle and if you have to reconquer the land, you have to siege first).

Anybody found a use for buying knigts in your army? I didn't. I estimate they fight like 2 men, but they 're 8 times as expensive. Why!? No idea...

Leave your catapult at home if you don't need it. If you get your behind kicked, you lose it and that costs you 15 gold. I doubt having a catapult gives you any advantage in battle.

___

Does anybody know the differences between "Ferocious Attack", "Stand And Fight", "Outflank" and bombard? I think the latter has to do with catapults, but i didn't really notice much difference.

Have fun!

Old 20-06-2005, 10:02 AM   #27
Doc Adrian
Game Wizzard

Quote:
Originally posted by burt@Jun 17 2005, 03:45 PM

Does anybody know the differences between "Ferocious Attack", "Stand And Fight", "Outflank" and bombard? I think the latter has to do with catapults, but i didn't really notice much difference.

Have fun!

Glad to help

Glad to help

A Ferocious attack is when you charge straight into the enemy and this is best used when you got more knights and troops..Catapults do nothing here
Stand and Fight is the best defense technique and catapults and knights really don't have a significant role
Outflanking is best used when you have plenty of knights and/or overwhelming troops, you basically try to find a weakness in their battle formation and can be costly based on your leadership ability
Bombard is used when you have alot of catapults, you basically blast them with catapults..the more the merrier
Doc Adrian is offline                         Send a private message to Doc Adrian
Old 09-10-2005, 03:29 PM   #28
Tom Henrik
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via AIM to Tom Henrik Send a message via MSN to Tom Henrik

You should all have a look at these sites

The most comprehensible F.A.Q. / Manual on the net.
The page to use if you want to try different versions of the game.
Cinemaware's 3D remake - Robin Hood: Defender of the Crown. Buy it!
k:
Old 09-10-2005, 03:37 PM   #29
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Henrik@Oct 9 2005, 05:29 PM
Cinemaware's 3D remake - Robin Hood: Defender of the Crown. Buy it!
k:
I got that game about a year ago. It's the same old game (including the gameplay actually). The story is just a little different (you don't get to choose your character, but are Robin Hood). There are other people there to help you and you also need to pay the ransome for King Richard.
All in all a great remake. The graphics have improved greatly, but the gameplay stayed equally fun (plus they added road robberies, where instead of swordfights you ambush with the help of your arrows and bows). k: k: k:
Great Stuff
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos
Old 30-04-2006, 12:53 AM   #30

My nice Abandonia version doesn't have any "mouse" cursor/pointy bits.. I can't joust, or raid because of this. Any tips on what keyboard keys to use? Otherwise the jousting bits are just tedious listening or the music waiting for "A long day.. no prize".
D