Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 01-01-2012, 12:30 AM   #491
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

I have answered that already. You are not paying attention.
Quote:
you will need to import the registry file
Quote:
Data from .REG files can be added/merged with the registry by double-clicking these files

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 02-01-2012, 06:50 PM   #492
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

The thing with this game is the registry file. You need to restart your system for the change to take effect.

Considering the way this guy have been asking for help, I already went over my principles by saying this. I will most likely not talk to him again.
Old 10-01-2013, 11:01 AM   #493
ils_bg

Default Issue with Transport Tycoon Deluxe

Hi,

I am using Windows 7 and have downloaded the Transport Tycoon Deluxe game and successfully updated the Registry. However, I get the following error messages when trying to start the game:

"The switch 'reducedsave' (-o) is obsolete. Please do not use it, it will be removed in a future version. Press Escape to abort, or any other key to continue".

After pressing another key to continue, the following appears after a number of positive messages:
"TTD is not installed properly (registry error 2). Press any key to abort".

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
ils_bg is offline                         Send a private message to ils_bg
Old 10-01-2013, 12:22 PM   #494
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Make sure you reboot after adding the registry info. The game should work after that.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 10-01-2013, 03:01 PM   #495
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

The Fifth Horseman is right. Having to reboot to complete installations is all but a thing from the past now... But in the good old days it was the norm.

In this case, the registery is a file which is only loaded at startup even for modern machines. So you need to reboot for the changes to take effect, whatever you do. It is easy to forget or not to think about this.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:56 PM   #496
ils_bg

Reboot did not work, same error messages appear. Any thoughts?
ils_bg is offline                         Send a private message to ils_bg
Old 17-01-2013, 08:02 AM   #497
another_guest
Abandonia Homie

I'm also wondering; I used to be able to install TTD from Abandonia in the blink of an eye but under Windows 7 I don't get it to work either (after succesfully adding the registry key and rebooting) so we must be missing something.
It's not in compatibility, I've already exhausted those possibilities.
Old 17-01-2013, 11:21 AM   #498
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

A little research lead me to believe that Windows 7 run 2 distinct registry. One for 32 bit programs and one for 64 bits programs.

It might be that the auto-updating registry file is not updating the right registry (in this case it would be updating the 64 bits registry), leading to the same initial problem as the OS is unable to find the required marks in the right registry...

Now I'm no expert in Windows 7 or any other OS after Windows XP... But it would make sense to me for Microsoft to push their 64 bits operative system first and thus make it the default registry.

(Source of my findings)
Old 17-01-2013, 07:33 PM   #499
another_guest
Abandonia Homie

That does sound logical, thanks for investing your time!
They're really complicating things with the 32 vs 64 bit split

ils_bg: there's also a link to an open source version of Transport Tycoon Deluxe (which has even more options than the original) on the download page... and that works like a charm under Windows 7
Old 17-01-2013, 08:06 PM   #500
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Yes, it does complicate matters. However, if we can find the exact problem and write a new registry automaton specifically for Windows 7 then we'll get rid of this problem.

And I tried OpenTTD. It is extremely close to TTD but at the same time not exactly it. Furthermore, it is not even finished even though it been years in development.

Frankly, after trying OpenTTD, I don't really see a reason not to go with the original. Except maybe if you wish to try out extremely huge maps.