Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 04-01-2005, 12:31 PM   #1
EricSheng

Thumbs up

Downloaded the game and applied the crack. When I tried to run Kain.exe, I got an error window titled "System Locale/Language Check Failed". The error message reads like: "Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain, has detected an Invalid Locale identifier on your machine". Clicked the OK button of the message and the game never ran.

I am using a Chinese version of Windows 98 SE. Anyone knows about the problem? Any solutions? Lots of thanks! :help: :help: :help:

EricSheng is offline                         Send a private message to EricSheng
Old 04-01-2005, 03:07 PM   #2
Omuletzu
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via MSN to Omuletzu Send a message via Yahoo to Omuletzu

The error is clearly related to your language preferences
Omuletzu is offline                         Send a private message to Omuletzu
Old 05-01-2005, 10:23 AM   #3
EricSheng

Thanks for the info. I adjust my Windows 98 locale settings to American English and Keyboard settings to American 101, but the error message keeps coming. Why?

I would very appreciate it if someone could help me solve this problem. Really want to play the game. :help:
EricSheng is offline                         Send a private message to EricSheng
Old 05-01-2005, 11:00 AM   #4
Omuletzu
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via MSN to Omuletzu Send a message via Yahoo to Omuletzu

Somebody help this poor soul :help: :help:
Omuletzu is offline                         Send a private message to Omuletzu
Old 05-01-2005, 11:45 AM   #5
xoopx
Hero Gamer

http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/D...s/Locales.mspx

from what i can tell, you need to download the us or uk or some western locale, and switch to that when you want to run blood omen.

i have no idea if this will work, its just my best guess
xoopx is offline                         Send a private message to xoopx
Old 05-01-2005, 06:01 PM   #6
EricSheng

Thank you guys for your help! I think I got THE reason of the locale problem from the link xoopx provided. The part of the MS faq relevant to the problem reads like this:

What is the System Locale?
The system locale (sometimes referred to as the system default locale), determines which ANSI, OEM and MAC codepages and associated bitmap font files are used as defaults for the system. These codepages and fonts enable non-Unicode applications to run as they would on a system localized to the language of the system locale.

These codepages and fonts are used by non-Unicode applications to emulate operation on a system localized to the language selected as the system locale. Note that only non-Unicode applications are affected by this setting.

The system locale is implemented in Windows 9x, NT4, Windows 2000, and Windows XP. (Under Windows 9x, the system locale is fixed based on the language version and cannot be changed. Under NT4, the system locale is pre-selected by the language version, but can later be modified in the Regional Settings Control Panel.)

Windows 2000 supports system locales for any supported locale on all language versions. As the name 'system locale' implies, this is a system-wide setting that affects all users, and therefore requires administrator privileges to change.

Changing the system locale requires a reboot. Note that only those system locales for which appropriate language groups have been installed will be available to choose from.

It seems that the system locale in Win 98 can not be changed, which means that Chinese Win 98 users are excluded from playing "Blood Omen". How brutal! :Titan:

Old 05-01-2005, 10:27 PM   #7
xoopx
Hero Gamer

Quote:
Originally posted by EricSheng@Jan 5 2005, 07:01 PM
Thank you guys for your help! I think I got THE reason of the locale problem from the link xoopx provided. The part of the MS faq relevant to the problem reads like this:

What is the System Locale?
The system locale (sometimes referred to as the system default locale), determines which ANSI, OEM and MAC codepages and associated bitmap font files are used as defaults for the system. These codepages and fonts enable non-Unicode applications to run as they would on a system localized to the language of the system locale.

These codepages and fonts are used by non-Unicode applications to emulate operation on a system localized to the language selected as the system locale. Note that only non-Unicode applications are affected by this setting.

The system locale is implemented in Windows 9x, NT4, Windows 2000, and Windows XP. (Under Windows 9x, the system locale is fixed based on the language version and cannot be changed. Under NT4, the system locale is pre-selected by the language version, but can later be modified in the Regional Settings Control Panel.)

Windows 2000 supports system locales for any supported locale on all language versions. As the name 'system locale' implies, this is a system-wide setting that affects all users, and therefore requires administrator privileges to change.

Changing the system locale requires a reboot. Note that only those system locales for which appropriate language groups have been installed will be available to choose from.

It seems that the system locale in Win 98 can not be changed, which means that Chinese Win 98 users are excluded from playing "Blood Omen". How brutal! :Titan:
thats too bad. you can still play it on playstation emulators if you download the playstation version (i did!)
xoopx is offline                         Send a private message to xoopx