Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 19-04-2015, 09:01 PM   #1
Veristek
Lurker

Default Need help with downloading a game from Iso Cellar archives

Hi all,

I have a problem with an off-site download link for a game provided in the Iso Cellar sub-forum. I am trying to find and download a fully working version of "Vikings: Strategy of Ultimate Conquest". It is here in the Iso Cellar forums at the following:

http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=26802

When I click the download link provided in the first post, it takes me to 4shared site. At that point, I am totally stuck. There are two problems that happen.

1. The game file is divided into 9 different files. I am not sure which files go where if I can get them downloaded. Is there a readme or something to indificate which file goes where, or download in a specific order?

2. I cannot download these files at all. When I click the check-box next to the file name, the "Download" buttons disappear above the file list, meaning download isn't possible.

To complicate things further, I have a tough time seeing or reading the 4shared site due to a vision disability. I cannot read grey or tiny text on white backgrounds very well, so the 4shared download site in the Vikings thread above is difficult for me to see and read. Additionally, I cannot use Youtube instruction videos because I am deaf which means voiced instructions are definitely out. Also, I can't follow the actual actions in Youtube videos that well either (small text or displays inside the videos).

I have tried finding sites other than 4shared to download the game. The only one that works, sorta, is Old-Games. However, when I try to download it from there, it goes at like 5 kbp/s, and requires about 15 hours to download the 300 mb file despite my fiber optic internet connection, and when I finish that download, the file is corrupted or "Error! Cannot run" and stuff like that. And when I check the downloaded file in my downloads folder on the computer, the file is only 100 kb instead of 300 mb. 15 hours to download a broken 100 kb file? Seriously? Therefore, Old-Games download is broken.

Anyways, I would love to know if there's a step-by-step text description of what to do to get that Vikings game downloaded from the 4shared site in the Iso Cellar, or if there is another way to download the game.

Thanks in advance.
Veristek is offline                         Send a private message to Veristek
Old 19-04-2015, 11:13 PM   #2
Japo
Autonomous human

I've never used these websites much, and I have the same problem with the buttons as you, trying with different browsers. Additionally "download as zip" does nothing because it apparently requires a premium account. Perhaps their help or faq has some answer. I wonder if it's now mandatory to register or install something... I've heard some people use programs such as JDownloader.

In any case you would need to download all files (although the two smaller ones whose extensions don't start with r are optional information files) into the same folder, and then open the .rar one, having installed 7-zip or WinRAR (links here)

If text is too small on your browser, try pressing Ctrl +. You could also contact 4shared to report accessibility problems, although this may not help a lot in the immediate term.
Old 20-04-2015, 07:29 PM   #3
patryckslasher
Also Known As patryckpo

Send a message via MSN to patryckslasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veristek View Post
1. The game file is divided into 9 different files. I am not sure which files go where if I can get them downloaded. Is there a readme or something to indificate which file goes where, or download in a specific order?

2. I cannot download these files at all. When I click the check-box next to the file name, the "Download" buttons disappear above the file list, meaning download isn't possible.
Normally folder downloads instead from file-to-file links are somewhat confusing, I have some problems while using those modes, try using Simple mode. TIP: you can edit the part it says "/rar/" or "/zip/" on links with "/get/", it takes you to the counter directly.
If I had more time I could upload it to somewhere else...
I'll see if there's another place to download anyways.
Old 20-04-2015, 10:05 PM   #4
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

The checkboxes and "download as ZIP" are different types of bulk download, which is premium-only feature. Click the file name to view the file details or right-click it and select Download -> Download (first option on the menu and then first on the sub-menu).

Quote:
That's called a split archive. It's often used when sharing large files through 4shared and similar services, as if there's an error during download the user only needs to redownload the corrupted segment of the archive instead of the whole thing.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 21-04-2015, 09:46 AM   #5
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Smiling Spectre Send a message via AIM to Smiling Spectre Send a message via MSN to Smiling Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veristek View Post
1. You need all .r* files (seven of it, from .rar to .r05). It's multi-volume rar-archive.

2. Click file name, not check box. New window will open. CAREFULLY check this new page, because false "LOAD" ads are everywhere, but correct link "download" is only one. You need buttons that are three, under file name, and above "priority download". There are "download", "share" and "add" buttons in row, you need first one, of course.

3. After pressing this "Download" you can get pop-up window. Ignore/close it. Link will be in the main one, where you pressed download. There are two options appears. First one is bright "Priority download" - ignore it, and second is grey-shaded "Free download" right of it.

Press "Free download". Wait 20 seconds (counter will start ticking above). After that downloading will start automatically.

Alternatively, you can right click the link "Download file" that will appear instead previous "download" button after this 20 seconds, as 5th Horseman described above.

Do not try right click any of the links on the previous stages, it will give you nothing good, as they goes to web-pages.

4. Repeat process 6 more times.

I have no idea, if you can initiate downloading simultaneously (I suspect, you cannot), but you can download simultaneously, so start new process as soon, as you'll get previous link and started to download.

5. Unpack only .rar file. It will unpack all tomes, as needed.
Old 21-04-2015, 05:42 PM   #6
Japo
Autonomous human

Hmm strange. When I click on the filenames nothing happens, in Opera, IE and Chrome, also after disabling Adblock. o_o I wonder if Veristek has the same problem.
Old 21-04-2015, 07:36 PM   #7
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling Spectre View Post
I have no idea, if you can initiate downloading simultaneously (I suspect, you cannot),
Cannot, that's bulk download.
Quote:
but you can download simultaneously, so start new process as soon, as you'll get previous link and started to download.
You can request multiple files in parallel and download them in parallel.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 22-04-2015, 09:08 AM   #8
zirkoni
Game Wizzzzzzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japo View Post
Hmm strange. When I click on the filenames nothing happens, in Opera, IE and Chrome, also after disabling Adblock. o_o I wonder if Veristek has the same problem.
If this happens click the button in the top right corner to switch to simple view.
Old 22-04-2015, 06:14 PM   #9
Japo
Autonomous human

Quote:
Originally Posted by zirkoni View Post
If this happens click the button in the top right corner to switch to simple view.
That does the trick, thanks! Strange that it doesn't work for me in different browsers...
Old 23-04-2015, 02:20 PM   #10
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Smiling Spectre Send a message via AIM to Smiling Spectre Send a message via MSN to Smiling Spectre

Huh. Seems, it's quirky 4shared engine.

In Opera it worked just right.

In Chrome it didn't do anything. Uh? What's the difference?

Ah, wait, I logined in Opera...

...Yes, login into account in Chrome did the trick too.

TL;DR: It works only for the logined users in the detailed view. *shrugs*