Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Tech Corner
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 11-02-2006, 01:15 PM   #11
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

there s two possible ways how is vipins problem meant:

once he turned game on and after few minutes playng its freezing-theres of course not enough ram

or(how i understood it is)
one day he played GTA, everything worked fine. then after a week he played it again and it was not smooth, in that case i have comment eagle of fire's post:
did you play GTA? graphics and enviroment there are almost same whole game
in that case i think he didnt format his hard drive well
Old 11-02-2006, 04:09 PM   #12
gregor
Home Sweet Abandonia

ehm i think WIndows could be also the cause. my bro had Win 2000 with 128MB ram - was hosting most HL mods and we had no problem. but once he installed the service pack nothing works as smooth as it did before. we even tried using old mod versions (which should have been working fine on 400Mhz pentium but they didnt'. because of the lag. and it's definatelly the service pack's fault.
Lifts-Her-Tail: But it is huge! It could take me all night!
Crantius Colto: Plenty of time, my sweet. Plenty of time.
From The Lusty Argonian Maid by Crassius Curio found in TES3: Morrowind
gregor is offline                         Send a private message to gregor
Old 11-02-2006, 05:12 PM   #13
win98
In the loop on hardware.

Warning service pack 2 makes my 256 mb ram pc lag bad since service pack2 and extra seciruty are on it my xp disk unfortuantley has it intergrated so I would need 512mb ram to make it work when vista comes out untiul I hve a fast system I will not get it so i can cope with the service packs.
win98 is offline                         Send a private message to win98
Old 11-02-2006, 05:40 PM   #14
rlbell
Game freak

Before you accuse GTA II of being the problem, you need to be more specific about what exactly is the problem.

If the memory is actually bad, there will be problems with every program. If the problem is that the game does not run as fast as it used to is indicative of something else. If it is a campaign game, try restarting it at an earlier point. If it is back to normal, then wait until it starts to slow down. At that point, check disk usage. An early sign of too little memory is disk thrashing.

The operating system has 4GB* of virtual memory, but most of it is actually on the hard disk. The OS tries to keep the most likely used data in physical memory. Whenever it reads a memory location that is actually in the memory swap file (page fault), it swaps a data page in physical memory with the desired page in the swap file (hence the name). It is an art to guessing the least-likely-to-be-needed page in physical memory to swap out, as if you knew what it was, you could solve the halting problem, which is impossible. Different methods work in different circumstances, the best algorithm for office applications are terrible for heavy duty numerical processing and even worse if main memory is not large enough to hold the entire OS kernel. MS Windows benefits from disk controllers including caches of frequently requested blocks, which mitigates disk thrashing, but is not always enough in the face of code bloat.

GTA can bog down your system with a memory leak. A memory leak ocurrs when a program allocates memory to an object, but never gets around to letting the kernel know that it is finished with it. Eventually, the stack (dynamically allocatable memroy) is cluttered with blocks of unused memory that causes more swapping, because less of each memory page is available for programs that will use it. It is theoretically possible for runaway memory leaks to bring down the system. Depending on how the OS keeps track of memory management, killing the program can free up the memory, but a reboot will solve the problem. If GTA is bringing down your system with a memory leak, do not play for as long, save often, and stop/restart the game to release allocated memory

* assuming a 32bit OS and addresses limited to a single word (useless trivia: A single zero or one is a bit, eight bits is a byte, the number of bits in a full length instruction is the word length. A collection of less than eight bits is a nibble).
rlbell is offline                         Send a private message to rlbell
Old 11-02-2006, 05:57 PM   #15
win98
In the loop on hardware.

I agree with rbell. If it was the ram nothing would work right not even windows.
win98 is offline                         Send a private message to win98
Old 11-02-2006, 09:24 PM   #16
chickenman
Hero Gamer

Buy some more RAM it's cheap, if you want real speed get an extra GB of RAM.

Also one thing I have noticed XP professional runs faster than XP home
chickenman is offline                         Send a private message to chickenman
Old 13-02-2006, 04:51 AM   #17
vipin
Super Freak

Send a message via AIM to vipin

thanx everyone for the suggestions . I think upgrading the system is the best option.

Old 22-02-2006, 01:36 AM   #18
Stebbi
Game Wizzard

Well just because i can brag..........I have 2 Gb of Ram =)
Stebbi is offline                         Send a private message to Stebbi