Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 01-05-2008, 11:20 PM   #3071
Ramidel
Abandonia nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fifth Horseman View Post
A weapon is only as "weak" or "strong" as the strategy using it.
Pistols are better if using them for your Stun Rod / Grenade equipped shock troops, but that doesn't neccesarily mean they are always better than the rifles.
Possibly, but I can't see a use for any of pistol-rifle-cannon after you develop Laser Pistol or Laser Rifle, is what I meant. And I usually don't get to raid a UFO before I have at least Laser Rifles.

Never compared laser pistol to laser rifle if one-handing; my gut bets on the rifle but I could be wrong. (And, except on specific missions, I rarely do much with grenades or stun weapons anyway. I much prefer energy weapons.)

As for autocannon...too heavy, too much reloading, generally not worth it.

Last edited by Ramidel; 01-05-2008 at 11:32 PM.
Ramidel is offline                         Send a private message to Ramidel
Old 06-05-2008, 11:19 AM   #3072
petetherovers
Lurker

Post hi

hey i ave got ufo enemy unknown and i have download it and unziped it but when i go to play the screen goes black and i can hear music!

i am on windows xp
petetherovers is offline                         Send a private message to petetherovers
Old 06-05-2008, 02:32 PM   #3073
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

If you're using Windows, then get the Windows version... The DOS one is for use with DOSBox or real DOS only.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 20-05-2008, 08:52 PM   #3074
agent cross

I have a big problem with x-com enemy unknown!

I downloaded and extracted the abandonia version for windows and run it now on my xp-machine. It works proper. But now i've occured one fatal error:

Always when i open the "transfer"-screen, i can choose the destination and arrange the cargo, but when i approve the transfer (press ok) i remain in the "transfer"-screen. Now aborting the "transfer"-screen (clicking cancel) makes the x-com enemy unknown crash immediatly.

Sorry for maybe bringing up old stuff, but i hadn't managed to get familiar with the search-engine now.
agent cross is offline                         Send a private message to agent cross
Old 20-05-2008, 10:28 PM   #3075
humorguy
Super Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by agent cross View Post
I have a big problem with x-com enemy unknown!

I downloaded and extracted the abandonia version for windows and run it now on my xp-machine. It works proper. But now i've occured one fatal error:

Always when i open the "transfer"-screen, i can choose the destination and arrange the cargo, but when i approve the transfer (press ok) i remain in the "transfer"-screen. Now aborting the "transfer"-screen (clicking cancel) makes the x-com enemy unknown crash immediatly.

Sorry for maybe bringing up old stuff, but i hadn't managed to get familiar with the search-engine now.
Would play the DOS version in DOSBox, that how I play it with no problems, it looks exactly the same and the sounds are the same, so you can adjust the speed etc with DOSBox or a front end, like D.O.G. The DOS version just gives you more flexibility, and personally, it feels as the the AI is different (and better) in DOS that Windows, but people on this thread disagree with me.
humorguy is offline                         Send a private message to humorguy
Old 21-05-2008, 03:55 AM   #3076
ShadowBlade
Abandonia nerd

If I remember correctly, the DOS version of the game is considerably less stable than the Windows version, DOSbox or not. I remember getting flurries of green/blue text and crashes back to the DOS prompt.

The Windows version isn't hard to get working once you do a little bit of research and get the right fixes.

For UFO Defense (a.k.a. Enemy Unknown), check out the first two files here:
http://www.xcomufo.com/x1dl.html

For the same fixes, but for Terror from the Deep, check this out:
http://www.xcomufo.com/x2dl.html
ShadowBlade is offline                         Send a private message to ShadowBlade
Old 21-05-2008, 05:45 PM   #3077
humorguy
Super Freak

Shadowblade, all I can say is I have the original games of UFO Unknown, Terror from the Deep and Apocalypse , and never had any problems at all in DosBox with any of them - although your links are very helpful and useful - so thanks!
humorguy is offline                         Send a private message to humorguy
Old 21-05-2008, 07:46 PM   #3078
agent cross

Thank you sir!

I will check this links, but i' think the version i've got from abandonia is already patched for Windows and version 1.2.
agent cross is offline                         Send a private message to agent cross
Old 21-05-2008, 08:32 PM   #3079
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

The newest is 1.4, IIRC.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 21-05-2008, 10:47 PM   #3080
ShadowBlade
Abandonia nerd

I think the Collector's Edition is patched to the latest version, but I posted those links due to the Video Bug Fix for Collector's Edition and Sound Fix for Collector's Edition, should you have any problems running the games properly.
ShadowBlade is offline                         Send a private message to ShadowBlade