Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Community News & Feedback > Old Suggestions
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 21-03-2005, 11:08 PM   #21
Dino
Call me Edmund

Advanced search feature is great idea, but IMHO it's more important to first implement search by genre, rating, or something like that.. than to introduce search by reviewer!
Old 21-03-2005, 11:17 PM   #22
punch999
The true Shadow President

it can also be introduced in a little drop down box for
mini genres
rated 1
rated 2
rated 3
rated 4
rated 5
by reviewer
by company

see i dont like a whole advanced search page its so complex and could be fit into a little drop down box.
punch999 is offline                         Send a private message to punch999
Old 21-03-2005, 11:53 PM   #23
xcom freak
Games Master

Search by review lenght for us translators :whistle:
just joking

Thought more of search by Year and compatibility lot more important than name of reviewer.
A lot of people just want to put a game and play they dont feel like mounting drives and stuff so its important for them to have a search by XP compatibility.
Year is also important, some people dont feel nostalgic and search for most recent game for better graphics.....
Sorry i only have suggestions and no actual answers but i am working on that.....
xcom freak is offline                         Send a private message to xcom freak
Old 22-03-2005, 12:09 AM   #24
punch999
The true Shadow President

i agree 100% i was just listing off a few ideas
punch999 is offline                         Send a private message to punch999
Old 22-03-2005, 12:24 AM   #25
xcom freak
Games Master

a la google/yahoo would look preofessional...........

Crappy pics i know i have tests this weak and no time to work on them some more but its just for the idea
xcom freak is offline                         Send a private message to xcom freak
Old 22-03-2005, 12:26 AM   #26
xcom freak
Games Master

The links take u to this

Thx Tom for paint shop pro k:
Old 22-03-2005, 06:22 AM   #27
Flop
Hero Gamer

I like the idea about being able to search by year and user rating, but I doubt a function that lets you search by reviewer will be used much. As someone already pointed out, people mainly come here to get the games, not to read reviews made by a specific person. If it's all implemented in an advanced search, though, the reviewer search function might as well be implemented.

Personally I'd prefer if at least the keywords are implemented both in an advanced search function, and as categories in a seperate box in the left side bar (like the gategories of games that already exist). Also I don't see any reason why some games couldn't have several keywords attached to them. Example: Sherlock Holmes - Case of the Serrated Scalpel could be categorized both as a mystery and as a licensed game, the Space Quest games could be categorised as both science fiction games and humorous games, etc.

Obviously this depends on how many and how specific the keywords will be, which brings us on to what I think will be one of the biggest challenges of this project; deciding on some good keywords. I have a couple of suggestions here:

Fantasy
Historical
Horror
Humorous
Licensed (games that are based on books, movies, etc.)
Mystery
Science Fiction
Western

These are the most important ones IMO, but feel free to criticise or suggest more.

I think however, that the final categories to be used will be decided during the process of actually categorising the games, since that's when you find out how many games fit into each category and so you may have to make alterations (it would be a bit stupid to have a genre if only two games fit in it).

When the categories to be used have been decided upon and the time for categorising the games comes along, I wouldn't mind helping out if it's needed.
Flop is offline                         Send a private message to Flop
Old 22-03-2005, 07:16 AM   #28
Omuletzu
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via MSN to Omuletzu Send a message via Yahoo to Omuletzu

Quote:
Originally posted by Flop@Mar 22 2005, 09:22 AM
(it would be a bit stupid to have a genre if only two games fit in it).
Yes but it would be wise to do this now, then to do it a year later, when the site has 1000+ games

Omuletzu is offline                         Send a private message to Omuletzu
Old 22-03-2005, 08:24 AM   #29
marko river
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

I already wanted to seee advanced search. Well, besides HOTU and their themes, take a look at www.lemon64.com

It is no extraordinary, it's just efficent.

And i like the idea of themes very much, since genres really wasn't good enough. When i was searching through the HOTU for a certain game, i searched using themes, since i wanted epic fantasy and so. Very very good stuff.
marko river is offline                         Send a private message to marko river
Old 22-03-2005, 08:32 AM   #30
Flop
Hero Gamer

Quote:
Originally posted by Omuletzu+Mar 22 2005, 09:16 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Omuletzu @ Mar 22 2005, 09:16 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Flop@Mar 22 2005, 09:22 AM
(it would be a bit stupid to have a genre if only two games fit in it).
Yes but it would be wise to do this now, then to do it a year later, when the site has 1000+ games [/b][/quote]
True, but you still have to ask yourself if a certain category is sensible to have, which I think is easiest done when categorising the games that are already on abandonia, since that's when you'll see how many actually fit in each of the categories you have already settled on. You can then modify the categories if certain of them have none or almost no games in them (or maybe split a category up if it has several hundred games in it). Of course you'll have to take into consideration that new games will be added, as you say, but you'll still get a pretty good picture of how many games of each kind there are, I think. Basically what I'm saying is, that it's kind of stupid to create a category just for the sake of the category, if no games fit in it.

It's true that new games will be added to the site, and that some of them may fill out a category that otherwise would only include a couple of games, but I still think you have to be sensible when creating the categories. For instance, a category like postapoc-scifi-horror, is pretty narrow, and odds are that no matter how many games are added it will never include more than a couple of games. I'd prefer to have a realistic number of main categories, that could then be combined, when doing an advanced search, to narrow down a few games (this would of course mean that some games would have to be included in more than one category).
Flop is offline                         Send a private message to Flop