Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Closed Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 11:22 AM   #1
TheChosen
"I" in the Team

Default NES Clones?

I just read about this kind of stuff. At first I tought it was only rare and there were only few of them, but then It turned out that there are tons of them.

NES clone is a console, or in some cases just a controller, which can be used to play NES games, either those which are built in the game or with real cartridges. The problem is however, most NES clones are cheaply made and all of them are illegally made. Some are modified to look like PSX, Sega Megadrive or even Xbox just so the kids could buy it.

I myself own a NES clone. Its a Mega Joy III, a N64 controller (with no L, R, Z or the stick) with 64 Nintendo games (some of them are just variations, so its really more like 40 games or so). Altough the buttons feel like theyre stucked and the whole device is made of cheap plastic, it works. You just have to plug it in TV and you'l have a plenty of cool nostalgic games and even some rare like the Jewel Tetris (A Korean game. Ever heard about it).
TheChosen is offline                         Send a private message to TheChosen
Old 03-01-2008, 11:39 AM   #2
Luchsen
Lurking Forever

I've only found such a thing at the bulky waste one day, but it was out of business, so no experiences from me to that. Funny stuff, certainly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChosen View Post
the Jewel Tetris (A Korean game. Ever heard about it).
I knew the Russians play some weird form of roulette, but that the Koreans play Tetris with their jewels is new to me. Does it feel good (probably better than that Russian game at least)?
Old 03-01-2008, 11:51 AM   #3
Scatty
Treasure hunter

Yeah I saw few such some years ago, too, like Dandy and Turbo Man or some such. They both used the same joypad connector which had just the same amount of pins as the PC joystick port (would have been interesting to connect such a joypad and see if it would have been PC-compatible...), while the joypad only had 2 buttons and 2 turbo rapid-fire variants of them + the usual START and SELECT buttons. Oh yes, they also were 8-bit systems like NES.
One interesting game in particular that I played on the two (they also both used the same cardridge form) was Dracula, which was a fast-paced arcade sidescroller, looking almost as good as close to SNES graphics. Never heard about such a game on a NES though, but maybe it was ripped off some Sega Master System or even SNK's Neo Geo.
Scatty is offline                         Send a private message to Scatty
Old 03-01-2008, 12:15 PM   #4
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

actualy, people in russia don't even know what NES is, only DENDY (seriously)

there were commercials in tvs, reviews in magazines, etc. about dendy

Last edited by _r.u.s.s.; 03-01-2008 at 12:19 PM.
_r.u.s.s. is offline                         Send a private message to _r.u.s.s.
Old 03-01-2008, 12:44 PM   #5
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

In about the time SNES and Sega Genesis were around, my father found and bought what was called a "mini-SNES". It was pretty apparent that it was imported from Asia and that little thing was able to play NES games with an adapter as well as SNES games if I'm not mistaken. It also came with it's very own cadridges...
Old 05-01-2008, 01:39 AM   #6
Juanca
Eternal Player

In south America the name for that consoles was MICHIMAN. And in India it is VICTOR and it comes from china. I even remember that the cartridges of Michiman where full of games like 100 in only one. i even still have some of of them in my parents home.
Sri Aurobindo
Juanca is offline                         Send a private message to Juanca
Old 05-01-2008, 11:19 PM   #7
Scatty
Treasure hunter

100 in one? Pfah, how about 1000 in one? I had such one. Unfortunately the games on the selection list ingame seem to be repeating themselves, besides it isn't 1000 but more like 250
Which effectively brings us to like actually 50-60 unique games, the rest being just the same games to make a list longer
Scatty is offline                         Send a private message to Scatty
Old 17-01-2008, 12:30 PM   #8
Aurez

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChosen View Post
most NES clones are cheaply made and all of them are illegally made..
not entirely true.

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20051111/boyd_pfv.htm
Aurez is offline                         Send a private message to Aurez
Old 17-01-2008, 03:32 PM   #9
DeathDude
Caught Somewhere In Time

Its still illegal in North America, there was a case a year ago, where there was an nes clone being sold at many malls across Canada and the States, I actually saw the system myself, and Nintendo got the company fined and shut down easily, and with the virtual console now I'm pretty sure the nes copyright and patents are still going to be active for years to come.

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/ Upcoming Concerts will be attending 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden!!, 7/27/08: Judas Priest
DeathDude is offline                         Send a private message to DeathDude
Old 13-05-2008, 07:56 PM   #10
I LOVE NEDDA H
Forum hobbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurez View Post
and he said illegally produced.... but they werent not all countries accept intellectual property laws so therefore they arent illegall if the countries in wich they were produce didnt not accept those laws.. america still doesnt make the laws for the whole world... even though they basically dictate the laws for europe and japan
I LOVE NEDDA H is offline                         Send a private message to I LOVE NEDDA H
Closed Thread