Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 21-04-2007, 04:52 PM   #1
Romano
Ye Olde Anarchist

Feel free to comment and discuss this game here. Also, if you have any useful tips or tricks don't hesitate to share them with the others! Thanks!

Review and Download (if available)

Last edited by Luchsen; 25-01-2008 at 04:07 PM.
Romano is offline                         Send a private message to Romano
Old 21-04-2007, 07:22 PM   #2
Geezer
Abandonia Homie

Sorry about some of the scans being so large. The original documents were too big to fit on my scanner so I took them to a copy shop and they tried to reduce them first but that didn't turn out very well so we scanned them at full size. If you try to read them in your browser (by left clicking the link) you will probably have to magnify them to 150% to make them more legible reducing the size seems to make them hard to read. I suggest right clicking the links and then clicking "save target as". When you open them using the standard Adobe and not the browser plug-in they will render much clearer. At least they do on my PC.

The pages of the personal diary have begun to yellow with age a bit.

The qualification test at the end of the recruitment brochure is a laugh. Try it.

Some of the most important commands are ...
Look (or look at)
Examine
Up (U) to climb something as in stairs
Down (D) to descend stairs etc
North (N) travel north
South (S) travel south
East (E) travel east
West (W) travel west
Open
Close
Inventory (I)
Take
Drop
Wait (W) important to let time pass at certain point in the game
Save (save game)
Restore (restore saved game)
Restart (restart game)

there are more that you will figure out as you go. The game does a pretty good job of understanding phrases, also.

If you are absolutely stuck and need a hint there is a pretty good hint system at the web site

http://www.csd.uwo.ca/Infocom/Invisiclues/planetfall/
"The gadfly has returned! Thou simpering, whining stable dropping. I have defeated thee repeatedly and still thou darest crawl back for more punishment. Chastise thee I shall. Thy stature is insignificant and thy name moronic. Brother to the vole! Offspring of money grubbing know nothings!" ... Spellcraft: Aspects of Valor
Geezer is offline                         Send a private message to Geezer
Old 22-04-2007, 02:01 PM   #3
Geezer
Abandonia Homie

I made a mistake in the review regarding how to start the game. If you are using WinFrotz to play Planetfall you need to navigate to and open PLANETFA.DAT. You can play the game without using WinFrotz by running PLANETF.BAT.
"The gadfly has returned! Thou simpering, whining stable dropping. I have defeated thee repeatedly and still thou darest crawl back for more punishment. Chastise thee I shall. Thy stature is insignificant and thy name moronic. Brother to the vole! Offspring of money grubbing know nothings!" ... Spellcraft: Aspects of Valor
Geezer is offline                         Send a private message to Geezer
Old 24-04-2007, 10:49 PM   #4
acheron

Best text adventure ever. Maybe adventure game of any kind.

Old 06-05-2009, 06:21 PM   #5
DarkStar88
Forum hobbit

Sending that dear, playful, innocent Floyd into a room full of mutants and coming back to die in my arms was one of the rare moments when a video game not only made me cry but feel downright awful. I couldn't have felt like a bigger heel if I'd sent a puppy to go fetch something from a yard guarded by rabid pit bulls.

Amazing job. This text adventure is nothing short of a legend.
DarkStar88 is offline                         Send a private message to DarkStar88
Old 19-06-2009, 06:11 PM   #6
gumpy
Game freak

One of the better games from Infocom. This game seems to have influenced the Space Quest series.
gumpy is offline                         Send a private message to gumpy
Old 09-10-2009, 11:27 PM   #7
Doc Savage

****SPOILER WARNING**** CONTINUE AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Doc Savage is offline                         Send a private message to Doc Savage
Old 14-04-2011, 04:39 PM   #8
bugmenot
Default this the one that started it all

Planetfall was "the" game/application that got me hooked on computers forever. Before that I had little to no interest in computing, my aspirations were pointed in *very* different directions (artisan, teacher, monk, wondering bum). Now computers are the very foundation of my livelihood and recreation. Go figure.

Old 18-05-2021, 08:46 PM   #9
AndrewJFisher
Forum hobbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumpy View Post
One of the better games from Infocom. This game seems to have influenced the Space Quest series.
Yeah Mark Crowe denied being aware of Planetfall until Space Quest was about to be released and he was like "Oh crap, someone's already used the idea of a sole survivor janitor saving the world!". Scott Murphy didn't comment on that during the interview. I figure that they both must have been aware of Infocom and Zork at least.
AndrewJFisher is offline                         Send a private message to AndrewJFisher
Old 18-05-2021, 09:07 PM   #10
AndrewJFisher
Forum hobbit

Honestly I don't know of many really good text adventures prior to the first King's Quest. I think The Hobbit was pretty horrible to play though the C64 disk version(superior to the very stripped down, DOS inferior, tape version) had very nice colourful graphics. But surely Infocom had the most intelligent text adventures during that period, after all, the founders had been working on the Zork series, adding to it, while college students in the '70s. Anyhow, I didn't play Planetfall right through until a few years ago, but it's got to be one of the best text adventures. What's more, I got through the game with almost no help from online and after having played the Zork trilogy I wasn't complaining about it being too easy! Actually I like Zork 1:The GUE very much and DID manage to complete that without the internet, but it took about four years of me and a friend working away at it and finally finding all the treasures!
AndrewJFisher is offline                         Send a private message to AndrewJFisher