Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 03-01-2009, 02:36 PM   #11
Mousazz
Game freak

I just read The Hobbit. I liked it a lot. Thanks ("downloads the game").
Mousazz is offline                         Send a private message to Mousazz
Old 20-04-2010, 05:44 PM   #12
Maxor127
Game Wizzard

One of the best text adventure games ever. Probably my personal favorite. It helped me with my writing, vocabulary, and memorization when I was a very little. I never would've been able to win it if I didn't have the hint book though. The text parser is very good and the game understands lots of complex commands, and the way the game plays out each time can be pretty random, so much so that it's possible to get stuck and lose the game. I highly recommend the C64 version. Better graphics and sound. It's tricky to run though unless you have experience with Commodore 64 emulators. I think it only runs with True 1541 emulation on.

I have the clue book for it lying around somewhere. It's probably not in good condition though. In fact, I think it might have cat puke on it since our cats loved to puke on all of my boxes, books, and manuals when everything was kept in the basement. Either way, I have no clue where it is. Haha... no clue where the clue book is. I'll pretend that pun was intended.
Maxor127 is offline                         Send a private message to Maxor127
Old 21-04-2010, 08:44 PM   #13
Maxor127
Game Wizzard

BTW... this would be a better link for the Commodore 64 version: http://www.lemon64.com/?game_id=1206
Maxor127 is offline                         Send a private message to Maxor127
Old 17-05-2021, 09:16 AM   #14
AndrewJFisher
Forum hobbit

Our teacher bought The Hobbit for us to play on the class C64 in 1990. Though there was a disk case full of games of all types, we were encouraged to play text adventures. Some of the text games were ok, but whenever someone played The Hobbit, we'd see the same four screens in the same order and get no further than the screen showing the path to the trolls' cave.

I played the DOS version in '08 from floppy on a fairly old computer. Was pretty hopeless without help from the internet, I don't think I could escape the Goblins' prison, but I knew the game was held as quite important in the history of graphical text adventures and was still reading Tolkien around that time, so was intent on finishing it. Even with a complete walkthrough it took forever to finally get it right. If I remember correctly, you can make mistakes that can ruin the game and you can't complete it. I remember seeing the happy ending screen when you finally get the treasure back home and thought "Oh how nice, now to never play this again!".
AndrewJFisher is offline                         Send a private message to AndrewJFisher