Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 19-04-2005, 06:14 PM   #1001
Rogue
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

There is online version (UFO-2000 - available on this site too) that ads online capability to this game. I never tried it
Rogue is offline                         Send a private message to Rogue
Old 19-04-2005, 06:28 PM   #1002
Jman4117
Game freak

quite fun playing it hotseat.... had the troops named like: Bill Clinton, Bobbie Dole, Billy Gates, etc
Jman4117 is offline                         Send a private message to Jman4117
Old 20-04-2005, 07:20 AM   #1003
axident
Abandonia nerd

Quote:
Originally posted by bahman@Apr 19 2005, 04:56 PM
Why there is such a long thread for a game like this? Is that really that good?
I don't play video games much anymore, but my personal best-of-all-time list might go something like this:

1. Master of Magic (someone PLEASE do a remake of this!!)
2. Civ2
3. Star Control 2 (someone ported the 3DO version; even though it's listed as 0.3 Alpha, it works and I beat the game on 0.3)
3. StarCraft
3. X-Com/UFO Defense
6. Master of Orion
7. Half-Life (I haven't played HL2 yet)
7. Quake
9. Syndicate (someone ought to make a remake of this, too)
10. Wing Commander Privateer (someone DID make a remake of this)
axident is offline                         Send a private message to axident
Old 20-04-2005, 09:16 AM   #1004
iCezolation

Send a message via ICQ to iCezolation

'lo people!
I've download the game from your portal last weekend and was really happy that I finally found a working version of it, with sound, music and normal game speed! But there's a problem:
Sometimes in tactical battle I get kicked out by the game. By now it only happened after I clicked something with my mouse ( for example tell a soldier to move to a specific position ), but it also happened once I clicked on a button in the menu of my base.
I don't really know what to do, because the game has to be run under windows and I don't know how I could check a setup of the game. I'm using Windows XP Pro, sound is provided by an on-board soundsystem ( calls itself AC 97 ).

Sorry if this problem has been handled before, this thread contains so many pages and I didn't found help by searching through the forum :-/
iCezolation is offline                         Send a private message to iCezolation
Old 20-04-2005, 12:56 PM   #1005
Xcom fan

Quote:
Originally posted by bahman@Apr 19 2005, 04:56 PM
You must be under the rocks for years! This is the highest rated game here, just to be factual. It is also the world best game of the 1994 year. Download and try for yourself! You will not regret it, it is so terrific.

The game is still sold at ebay, just to prove its popularity (so that some people want it in original boxes). It is consisted of turn-based strategy game plus resource management.

If you want another go at this type of game, try Xcom2: Terror from the Deep and Jagged Alliance (best game of 1995, the next year after Xcom1).

The game sometimes quits right when you enter battle or at random times. No one knows why, you will just have to save your game often.

Old 21-04-2005, 11:39 AM   #1006
TheChosen
"I" in the Team

Quote:
Mother of all games?
TheChosen is offline                         Send a private message to TheChosen
Old 22-04-2005, 06:30 AM   #1007

Is Ronnie O' Sullivan good at snooker?

That's how good this game is. World Championship-level quality. It's addictive and replayable and will never let you down.

Crashes are quite annoying though.

Old 22-04-2005, 08:44 AM   #1008
iCezolation

Well really looks like you have no other chances than saving like hell - but the game is worth this procedure, definitely! But until today I never dared to play any other skill level than the first
iCezolation is offline                         Send a private message to iCezolation
Old 22-04-2005, 12:09 PM   #1009
Xcom fan

Try it at Superhuman level, the only difference is the aliens are 50-70% stronger than at the Beginner level, but it's still beatable.

Just make sure you have HP early I remember scratching my head when face Etherials. It got psi, and very hard to kill. And I want to look through that coat to see what's under

Old 22-04-2005, 12:51 PM   #1010
iCezolation

Mostly the fact is that aliens do a ground attack after I shot the third or fourth ufo down - arriving there, I kill about six or seven aliens and then suddenly the rest of 2 or 3 of them kill all my soldiers <_<
The other thing is that I never really know how to start right. The first steps I do are to build room for personell, then a chamber for aliens to keep 'em alive and another storage, followed by buying 20 scientiests. Then I let the first 10 scientists start to work on laserguns, during that time the first aliens were killed bringing more stuff to exlore - and that's where I already dunno what's the best to do next :-/