Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 29-03-2005, 02:25 PM   #571
Endop

Does anyone here use the XComUtil addition, that fixes bugs (difficulty bug, and uses f0dders graph fix) and can do all kinds of nifty stuff. As an example, it modified normal Pistols so that they have Autofire, made Tanks (those you can buy) better so that they have some use, made Heavy Explosive able to blast open UFO walls... Fun stuff.

home page:
members.aol.com/stjones/xcomutil/

EDIT: okay, so someone had already written about it to this same page...
Endop is offline                         Send a private message to Endop
Old 29-03-2005, 05:24 PM   #572
ImpNemo

Really very strange indeed, Heavy Laser stats copy/pasted from xcom strat guide instead of my game version (abandonia version) this time
( http://www.xcomufo.com/usg.html section 4.2)

______(Accuracy / TU% needed)
___________Aimed___Snap
Heavy Laser 84/75___50/33

85 dmg

It agrees with mine and lizards game versions. No I dont run xcom util, feels too much like cheating

For whatever reasons your HL stats are increased, I would use it precisely as you described if the HL was that way in my game. Maybe Prej can tell us if those stats you have are the enhanced laser stats from xcom util or something.

Doesnt matter, Plasmas are better anyway :Titan:

Old 29-03-2005, 05:55 PM   #573
Lizard
Abandonia Homie

It is possible that laser stats get downgraded in Ufo Defense.I actually REMEBER from my old Dos Ufo that it was DEFINETLY accurate than heavy plasma.
Plasma weapons are green,ugly and alien,Lasers are yellow pretty and human :bleh:
Lasers... :wub:
Lizard is offline                         Send a private message to Lizard
Old 29-03-2005, 06:00 PM   #574
axident
Abandonia nerd

Quote:
Originally posted by Sharp+Mar 29 2005, 01:28 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Sharp @ Mar 29 2005, 01:28 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Guest@Mar 29 2005, 04:12 AM
Maybe my table isnt clear, the 110% Aimed is for Heavy Plasma, not Heavy Laser. Also the snap* on HL is only 50%. so your 83 firing sniper is at 41.5with a HL vrs with a HP at 75% means 62.25. Aimed is 69.2 for HL vrs 91.3 for HP. HP has 30 more dmg and as I disscussed before I never run out of ammo on its 35 round clip so reloading isnt an issue.

But if your guy can kill like that anyway... go for it* k:*

Remember, there is no right answer in this

except mine
Erm..... your table must be incorrect as well if you dont have the Heavy Laser on 110% accuracy.

Heavy Laser Stats
120-dmg (highest conventional weapon damage in game)
Snap Shot - 75% accuracy 33% TU Cost
Aimed - 110% accuracy 60% TU Cost

Other: No ammunition required, extra-effective against sectapods, can blow holes in inner walls of UFO's

Heavy Plasma Stats
115-dmg
Auto-Shot - 50% accuracy 35% TU Cost
Snap Shot - 75% accuracy 30% TU Cost
Aimed - 110% accuracy 60% TU Cost

Other: Weak against sectapods, can blow holes in inner walls, clip size of 35

As you can plainly see the Heavy Plasma is very effective for your gruntwork soldiers as it has a high damage combined with the ability of the Auto-Shot so in enclosed areas.

However when sniping that extra 5 damage that the heavy laser does can make a lot of difference. Also as no ammunition is needed you dont have to even put the tiniest amounts of effort into ammo conservation. The laser can efficently and effectivly blow holes in many obstacles for fire teams to go through. As I stated before, I only give lasers to my snipers, hence they only use aimed/snap shots hence the extra 5 damage the laser does is extremly usefull when fighting.

Also you can see that the snap on the laser and plasma are exactly the same only differing in TU's by 3%. I dont know if you use XCOM Util or something which changes weapons stats but the heavy laser is the ultimate Sniper weapon.

I give the grunts the heavy plasmas and make them go into close combat, however if you can afford to (as in you wont die) then try and fire aimed shots as this increases your soldiers firing accuracy greatly.

Sniping Tactic:
My best sniping tactic is similar to what those darn aliens do all the time, I give my snipers flying suits, they fly ontop of buildings. They stay in the centre of the roof and move to edge to spot n' shoot an alien and then move back into the centre, makes the soldier immune to being MC'ed and no return fire as well.

HWP's:
Heavy Weapons Platforms are extremly usefull in every stage of the game in my opinion. In base defence they effectivly boost it. They cannot get mindcontrolled, get panicked or go beserk. They move extremly fast and the weapons they can carry are suprisinlgy effective. The Plasma/Laser Cannons practically dont have ammunition problems as the Plasma can fire 255 rounds and it automatically gets replenished after each battle. The Cannon is the only useless one, it is only good for the first few missions, I first get the Rocket Launcher, it has a large firepower, lots of ammo, and unlike soldiers wont accidently blow up your troops.

Im not too sure of the accuracy of the HWP's but im sure that it is fairly high, although not as high as experienced soldiers. A Cannon HWP on the first few missions can kill far more then your newbie soldiers.

The HWP is also much better then losing 4 valuable members of your squad (generally the first people in your sky-ranger are the most experienced due to killing more aliens etc... unless of course your next 4 people are the best as the first 4 die)

Only in Base Assaults do tanks truly suck. They clog up hallways and cannot fire around corners and then peek back effectivly. On the otherhand using a tank as cover means that you can chuck grenades over the tank while being safe against return fire, but that is a very expensive tactic. Tanks can also effectivly clear out the same corridors they clog up and let your soldiers mop up the leftovers. [/b][/quote]
I agree that HWP are good to absorb the damage that would otherwise kill your four most experienced soldiers, but you really only need one laser tank for that. I think as long as one doesn't let the tank get kills that ought to go towards soldiers' experience, the strategy works fine.

I think you have a modified version there, because everyone else's version has Heavy laser as being much weaker. 120 damage??? Mine version has it at 85 damage, and it seems like the unofficial strat guide and many other people concur. Maybe you have a version of XCOM that was pre-hacked with XCOM Util to make lasers stronger?
axident is offline                         Send a private message to axident
Old 29-03-2005, 06:18 PM   #575
Jman4117
Game freak

XcomUtil ups the Heavy Laser to 120 if you choose improved lasers at setup. Quite nice if you set the difficulty to something like lvl 20 with it...but otherwise cheating.. :P
Jman4117 is offline                         Send a private message to Jman4117
Old 29-03-2005, 06:39 PM   #576
Endop

Nice to know that the Laser fix goes over the top. I quessed it would be better to play with the original weapons first, so I don't have to start over.

In my current game, I'm using Laser Rifles and trying to research lots of things. Heavy Lasers and Plasma Weapons are not on that list. I might even research that pesky Movement Detector, so that I'm not just as paranoid when advancing through the corridors of a ship where few last Floaters reside. This might not be the most effective way, but I have survived well against the easy enemies I have had. Only Floaters and gray alien psions, and thanks to that Navigator caught in the first battle I already have Hyperwave Detector. I have caught almost too many aliens: Reaper Terrorist, two Leaders, few Navigators, Medic...

Great game!
Endop is offline                         Send a private message to Endop
Old 29-03-2005, 06:47 PM   #577
Dreadlord
[BANNED]

I stun my own men then throw them on the floor in the alien ship, run out, then throw in a grenade then run back in, pick up the dead bodies, then run back to the ship, put the dead bodies in the ship, then go back to my base.
Dreadlord is offline                         Send a private message to Dreadlord
Old 29-03-2005, 06:48 PM   #578
Lizard
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadlord@Mar 29 2005, 07:47 PM
I stun my own men then throw them on the floor in the alien ship, run out, then throw in a grenade then run back in, pick up the dead bodies, then run back to the ship, put the dead bodies in the ship, then go back to my base.
And why? :blink:
Lizard is offline                         Send a private message to Lizard
Old 29-03-2005, 06:52 PM   #579
Jman4117
Game freak

um....can't research a human commander... :P
Jman4117 is offline                         Send a private message to Jman4117
Old 29-03-2005, 06:57 PM   #580
Dreadlord
[BANNED]

Quote:
Originally posted by Lizard+Mar 29 2005, 06:48 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Lizard @ Mar 29 2005, 06:48 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Dreadlord@Mar 29 2005, 07:47 PM
And why? :blink: [/b][/quote]
Because I can.
Dreadlord is offline                         Send a private message to Dreadlord