Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 13-09-2007, 06:38 AM   #71
gregor
Home Sweet Abandonia

:blink:

but they took over two of my 3 planets. even with everything explored i would have a problem reaching their base without any base or without those planets. not to meniton that development is hard with only one planet. I had some AI allies but they got their a**es kicked too.

wheareas in the "freestyle" mode i don't have any problems. but i still haven't played with enhanced AI. i did one with them having economy at 100%. a long battle ensued with many alliances. basically it seems similar to civilisation with elements of Space empires. i loved it. and i still play it form time to time. only problem is once i start i can not stop so i take all day in front of computer (planning attack, designing new ships) which is also the reason i stopped. For now at least.
Lifts-Her-Tail: But it is huge! It could take me all night!
Crantius Colto: Plenty of time, my sweet. Plenty of time.
From The Lusty Argonian Maid by Crassius Curio found in TES3: Morrowind
gregor is offline                         Send a private message to gregor
Old 13-09-2007, 10:19 AM   #72
Playbahnosh
The Peacemaker

Send a message via MSN to Playbahnosh

Quote:
but they took over two of my 3 planets.[/b]
Yeah, now that you should avoid. The key in the campaign is to do it as fast as possible. It's in the campaign description that the dread technology is very technology dependant, and they a lot of time to expand their factories, so you gotta move fast to reach your goal BEFORE they get too strong k: It's not impossible but requires a lot of time and swearing

"Don't fight the bad things in life! Find the good one! They are everywhere! Don't spend your life fighting for goals you can never reach! Live for the moment!"

BEWARE: I'm using the forums as a personal blog!
Playbahnosh is offline                         Send a private message to Playbahnosh
Old 13-09-2007, 02:26 PM   #73
slayer80
Lurker

Well, dropping on this discussion, there isn't much to add, except my little insight on the matter.
Been a gamer for far too long, and managed to play some of the great DOS titles of the early nineties.

At those times, console games were very different of PC gaming.
I remember when my father ditched my Mega Drive (best known as Sega Genesis), when he bought a very expensive IBM PS/1, which was a 486 SX 33MHz, with whooping 4MB RAM. The best part (for the time) was it's video board, a Cirrus Logic with 1MB. Later, we were very happy to add external cache memory (and it was REALLY expensive, btw). Enough nostalgic ranting.

I found myself literally in a black hole, staring at that DOS screen, with that HUGE manual to understand the simple basics. And I was very disappointed that I couldn't find my personal favorite genres anywhere on that stupid gray box.

Except...

It came with Alone in the Dark.
That changed my life.
Then, it was Doom.
And, the icing on the cake, those brilliant Star Wars games, specially TIE Fighter.
Only later, I could play Ultima VIII. That hooked me into a genre I always tought was tiresome.

At those days, no need to fiddle with different video drivers. The tradeback was getting enough memory to run that stuff (TIE Fighter always made MAD, with that EMS crap). Ah, the good old days of memmaker, and QEMM.

After, let's say, TIE Fighter, I became much more picky about games. It impressed the hell out of me back in 1994, and it still manages to impress today, many years later.

Call that "golden memories", nostalgy, whatever. I'm yet to see something that impress nowadays.
And the only thing that tickles my curiosity, is that Nintendo Wii thing. There will always be something about small red plumbers and mushrooms that makes me feel warm and fuzzy (well, not THAT warm, anyway!).

Today, gaming in general is done by numbers. And big numbers: number of polygons, number of sounds, number of shaders, number of simultaneous online players shooting each other again and again and again. Number of millions wasted in their so called "development". And number of the directX version it "needs" to show you a different light source. Yet, some kids get marvelled at Grid Wars. Amazing, huh?

Well, I guess I'm getting too old for video-games, but when I want a GOOD FPS shooter, I always play Doom again. And not Prey, or whatever they boast to be the new kid in town.

Gameplay is the word.

But seems to be sadly forgotten...

PS: And nevermind my lacking english skills...
slayer80 is offline                         Send a private message to slayer80
Old 14-09-2007, 01:51 AM   #74
Burger Meister
Om Teh Nom Noms

PC Gaming may or may not be dying.

I do remember (I know I'm only 17, anyways) a time when games used to take more than 2 days of playing to beat and they didn't emphasize much on graphics. This sometimes does happen in new-a-day games, but people look at screenshots and then think the game "looks" crappy. Take for example Hearts of Iron 2 Doomsday. It's like Risk/Axis & Allies on every single drug out there. It is crazy fun and is one of my most played games currently with approximately 140 hours. Most games now-a-days are too short because as mentioned before, they only focus on graphics. If the game would have crazy good graphics and crazy long gameplay... the game would be too large (10-16gb?). Then people would complain again. I think this is because too many children play video games now. Before video games were aimed at late teens and up and that's the way it should be. Kids should be allowed to play video games, but the games shouldn't be tailored for them because there are too many of those now (Cough, Wii, Gamecube).

I just hope the industry smartens up and looks back at their roots.
Burger Meister is offline                         Send a private message to Burger Meister
Old 14-09-2007, 03:34 AM   #75
punch999
The true Shadow President

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cazgotsaved @ Sep 4 2007, 12:07 PM) [snapback]308809[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
IMHO opinion, the simple answer:
1 - Pay by the month games suck. Idon't care of WoW is popular/doing well, it's one of the few, and I think it sucks actually. Modernized Diablo 2, except you have to pay.
[/b]
That is a EXTREAMLY ignorant oppinion and is just one of those annoying attempts to sound elitist 'cause your a Old school gamer. Especcially since Diablo and World of warcraft except for a multiplayer component have very little in common. And the major problem with running a online game where you can support these kind of numbers to play you need to do pay by month. Servers and having a insane amount of content like most Massivly multiplayer games do. Requires a lot of work and requires massive servers just to hold it let alone host several thousand happy customers. And besides there are 8 million happy little WOW players just dying to say your wrong.

Get used to paying for games like you would any other service.

(Oh I don't play WOW by the way or any MMO)
punch999 is offline                         Send a private message to punch999
Old 14-09-2007, 05:37 AM   #76
12turtle12
Game freak

1 - Pay by the month games suck. Idon't care of WoW is popular/doing well, it's one of the few, and I think it sucks actually. Modernized Diablo 2, except you have to pay.

That is a (spelling error)EXTREAMLY ignorant (and again) oppinion and is just one of those annoying attempts to sound elitist 'cause (grammar error)your (and again)a Old school gamer.
---Some people might have the same thought about YOUR opinion as well....
and yes, I am a fairly "old school" gamer - was that supposed to be an insult?

(you have a spelling error here) Especcially since Diablo and World of warcraft except for a multiplayer component have very little in common.
---Little in common? Let's see, pick a character with widely differing play styles, have the chance to join as a group, fight monsters, or each other...you play 1 character who can grow to a very high level, possibly even summon a little helper or two, go to different worlds or areas, etc etc etc I don't have time to prove you are wrong completely - that's just a sample of your uninformed statement.

And the major problem with running a online game where you can support these kind of numbers to play you need to do pay by month. Servers and having a insane amount of content like most Massivly multiplayer games do.
---Hmmm....I think I said I don't care if it's popular and doing well, didn't I? Also, it's one of THE FEW - which is a FACT - look it up please, thank you. Oh, and the KEY words here: "I" and "think" - it is my right to have an opinion, even if you dont' agree with it, which I obviously don't agree with yours. No need to flame, is there sonny?

Requires a lot of work and requires massive servers just to hold it let alone host several thousand happy customers. And besides there are 8 million happy little WOW players just dying to say your wrong.

#1 - I know the kind of work that goes into it. Probably better than you do, friend. But I know when to admit someone is ... older and wiser?
#2 - Yes there are millions of happy lil' players saying I'm wrong. That's why they allow themselves to be swindled. I don't think I was debating that. Didn't I say it was popular and doing well?
#3 - What was the point of your post again?

Get used to paying for games like you would any other service.
---Um, no. Notice I'm not paying, and therefore, not playing? :blink:

(Oh I don't play WOW by the way or any MMO)
---Then why are you talking?

---Elitist? No friend, not until I'm provoked.

edit - I'm not seeing the spelling mistake?
12turtle12 is offline                         Send a private message to 12turtle12
Old 14-09-2007, 05:50 AM   #77
gregor
Home Sweet Abandonia

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(slayer80 @ Sep 13 2007, 02:26 PM) [snapback]310652[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

Today, gaming in general is done by numbers. And big numbers: number of polygons, number of sounds, number of shaders, number of simultaneous online players shooting each other again and again and again. Number of millions wasted in their so called "development". And number of the directX version it "needs" to show you a different light source. Yet, some kids get marvelled at Grid Wars. Amazing, huh?
[/b]
you forgot the number of FPS.

Quote:
Well, I guess I'm getting too old for video-games, but when I want a GOOD FPS shooter, I always play Doom again. And not Prey, or whatever they boast to be the new kid in town.
[/b]
Farcry 2 seems very promissing (if they will mkae it work and if it will work on a bit older maschines as well). And S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is good too if you like gameplay and if you get it to work :bleh:

EDIT: Forgot to add Morrowind and if you like 3D RPG then Arx Fatalis. Although they are not really new ones, so...
Lifts-Her-Tail: But it is huge! It could take me all night!
Crantius Colto: Plenty of time, my sweet. Plenty of time.
From The Lusty Argonian Maid by Crassius Curio found in TES3: Morrowind
gregor is offline                         Send a private message to gregor
Old 14-09-2007, 06:15 AM   #78
punch999
The true Shadow President

It was 1 in the morning when I posted that. You also have a spelling error in your writing by the way. And don't go into your age bull**** because I am not falling for it. What you just said was a blanket statement that pay by the month games suck. And that is a stupid thing to say because you aren't saying why or which games. I am sure you haven't played every subscription based games. So your oppinion on the subject is therefore useless and improperly researched.
punch999 is offline                         Send a private message to punch999
Old 14-09-2007, 01:27 PM   #79
12turtle12
Game freak

the reason I said they suck wasn't an attack on their poularity, the work that goes into them, any glitches, etc - it was my opinion based on the fact that you generally pay just as much for them as a non-pay-by-the-month game, (40-50 bucks) and then have to continue to pay anywhere from 8-15 bucks more...EVERY month. And most of them if you stop paying will immediately delete your acct - so you can't just stop playing for a couple months because you get bored, and then pick it back up again later.
It's an opinion. Get over it. If you have one of your own, feel free to share - but why start flaming a bit and calling others ignorant?
Also, my opinion useless? Yes, and so is yours. Neither one of us is going to seriously effect the future of gaming unless we go into the industry, or become rich lobbyists (LOL) so rather than flame, why not just say why you don't agree...?
I'm not pulling the "age bull****" - but let's face it, I can remember games that are older than you are. Same goes for me - there are plenty of others on this site that could say the same about me. Gotta respect the elders, sonny LOL
12turtle12 is offline                         Send a private message to 12turtle12
Old 14-09-2007, 07:34 PM   #80
Blood-Pigggy
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Yeah, most MMORPGs or MMO for any matter are made purely for addictive purposes in order to get more money for the people who made it. It doesn't actually have to be fun to be addictive.
Unfortunatly, as I said previously in the thread, there are MILLIONS of people who can't tell the extremes on games, therefore they can't really tell what's good, so they play bad games and even though they may feel it becomes repetitious they can't look at smaller details that will totally turn them off for good reason.

WoW is mediocre, the game doesn't have a purpose, it doesn't have a real community, and for one thing, the things you actually do aren't fun, the only reason people play is because of digital materialism, so they can get their imaginary objects that will make their character more powerful or gain a level, really, MMORPGs rely on developers giving enough of a satisfying feeling when you do these things, the actual process of getting them is not fun at all, and the majority of your time will be spent doing the things that aren't fun.

It's like drugs, you struggle to get that short high and then when you realize that you got you wanted you want to get something else, you'll start going for that.

It's tedious, anyone who actually looks back at the game and analyzes will realize that there's truly no entertainment value in it.
The same thing happened with Diablo 2, I really enjoyed the singleplayer AND the multiplayer back when the game was just released, but when I installed it again in 2005 five years after I had last played it, when online, played for a few hours, then I sat back and LOOKED at the game, and realized it was not the same experience that it used to be, it was ruined.

You may use the cliche that I'm saying "I can't see the forest, because there's a bunch of trees in the way" but IT IS APPLICABLE in certain situations, why would I waste my time on something that after hundreds of hours I'd look back and say "That actually wasn't fun at all" I'd rather spend 100 hours on something genuinely fun like Fallout than spend 100 hours running after useless and in the end entirely meaningless things in WoW.

My Site -
http://sites.google.com/site/eyenixon
Blood-Pigggy is offline                         Send a private message to Blood-Pigggy