Old 25-09-2006, 02:01 AM   #61
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

And your point about technology is?
Old 25-09-2006, 03:00 AM   #62
Blood-Pigggy
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Eagle of Fire @ Sep 24 2006, 04:15 PM) [snapback]257165[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Old games are just more fun, more gameplay oriented. You can't beat that.
[/b]
Games are usually of three categories, gameplay-oriented, technologicaly-oriented, or a balance of both. I was saying that games in the 80s and early 90s were actually trying to push technology much more over gameplay since there were several more systems and PC platforms vying for the biggest chunk of the thang, the thingity thang.

My Site -
http://sites.google.com/site/eyenixon
Blood-Pigggy is offline                         Send a private message to Blood-Pigggy
Old 25-09-2006, 12:03 PM   #63
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Blood-Pigggy @ Sep 24 2006, 04:55 PM) [snapback]257126[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(_r.u.s.s. @ Sep 24 2006, 08:07 AM) [snapback]257082[/snapback]
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Blood-Pigggy @ Sep 24 2006, 12:52 AM) [snapback]257012[/snapback]
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(_r.u.s.s. @ Sep 23 2006, 05:12 PM) [snapback]256970[/snapback]
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(troop18546 @ Sep 23 2006, 08:58 PM) [snapback]256968[/snapback]
Quote:
Ofcourse, we like old games too, but they cannot be compared to games nowadays, with - storyline, graphics, AI and such.
[/b]
you r forgetting about gameplay
[/b][/quote]

Exactly, that's why games like God of War make us say "HOLY muck! Did I just do that?" it's ten times better and more ufn.
[/b][/quote]
in older games you could also tell "holy muck! did i just do that?" o_O
so you r sayng newer games have better gameplay than older ones? ehm...
[/b][/quote]
[/b][/quote]
"advantages" you talk about piggy are effects and detail, not gameplay. i still think older games were more fun, as they had to put more effort to level design and maybe dialogues and humor.
its like you were sayng that books are worse than TVmovies becouse its not "deep" as movies
Old 25-09-2006, 01:20 PM   #64
Treewyrm
Abandonia nerd

Old games were much like books, they too had us use our imagination to fill the details we normally didn't see. Modern games are trying to fill that gap using technology leaving us little to no space to imagine. It is the reason why am I playing old games mostly. They inspire us to create, to imagine, to think. They are like books when you have read it you instinctivly trying to imagine the rest of the story. Modern games are more like movies where you simply watch what happens on the screen without much freedom to imagine, you're only left to push buttons in right patterns in order to complete the game. Of course this is quite simplified explanation but you get the idea.
Treewyrm is offline                         Send a private message to Treewyrm
Old 25-09-2006, 03:14 PM   #65
gregor
Home Sweet Abandonia

[/quote]
"advantages" you talk about piggy are effects and detail, not gameplay. i still think older games were more fun, as they had to put more effort to level design and maybe dialogues and humor.
its like you were sayng that books are worse than TVmovies becouse its not "deep" as movies
[/quote]

hehe except for adventure games and maybe some RPG's other didnt' really have that. racing games, FPS, 3rd PS ... story? gameplay? nah..
Lifts-Her-Tail: But it is huge! It could take me all night!
Crantius Colto: Plenty of time, my sweet. Plenty of time.
From The Lusty Argonian Maid by Crassius Curio found in TES3: Morrowind
gregor is offline                         Send a private message to gregor
Old 25-09-2006, 03:40 PM   #66
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
Old games were much like books, they too had us use our imagination to fill the details we normally didn't see. Modern games are trying to fill that gap using technology leaving us little to no space to imagine. It is the reason why am I playing old games mostly. They inspire us to create, to imagine, to think. They are like books when you have read it you instinctivly trying to imagine the rest of the story. Modern games are more like movies where you simply watch what happens on the screen without much freedom to imagine, you're only left to push buttons in right patterns in order to complete the game. Of course this is quite simplified explanation but you get the idea.[/b]
That's my opinion as well.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 25-09-2006, 04:47 PM   #67
Treewyrm
Abandonia nerd

There is another thing I'm going to mention. It's not really applicable to everyone, but since level design was my hobby for many many years (and a full-time job for the past two year, but I retired recently) I thought it's good to say a word or two about modding possibilites the old games had and why there is a growing problem in modding for modern games.

As you know many old games are still pretty much alive because of the modding communities that keep the light within them sometimes making innovative and dare things worth looking and playing. This is becase of the simplicity of those games, accessibility was high and possibilities were given to make your own content without vast technological knowledge. Provided you could learn map editor (and they were quite simple back then) there was nothing but your imagination sparking and leading you towards creating your own worlds. Technological simplicity gave possibility for many people without much knowledge to create their own maps and levels. It's like you only had to have a pencil and a paper and with them you could make a really beautiful picutre worth looking and keeping on your hard drive for years. As the time and progress goes on so does the techonological side: it grows and becomes far more complex than it was before. Complexity is a barrier and a problem for creative teams now, it is the reason why we aren't seeing that amount of maps for modern games as we've seen for Doom, Duke Nukem 3D, Quake, Warcraft II and so on. And if you're into the modern modding you're about to get no less but a second job that will take all your time and will demand much than you can possibly allow even for a hobbie like that. It's like pen and paper are no longer enough to make a brilliant picture and the new games demand you to use so much that is getting ridiculous. It is a problem I think, the modding communities are very powerful tool in good hands, examples are all around us, for instance the old UT99 which is pretty much alive and kicking hard and personally I think modding is playing major role in keeping it that way. Look at the console games... they die like flies, developers are only reusing the same old again and again without any bit of innovation and seelling them again. What gamers left to do? They're only left to buy and play and repeat. And I mind you that many today successful innovations weren't actually made by those companies selling games that implement them, many were inspired by mods made by gamers like us. It is kind of innovation I will always be for. And what worries me now is that the console "buy-play-repeat" tendency is apparently coming to the PC gaming as well.
Treewyrm is offline                         Send a private message to Treewyrm
Old 25-09-2006, 10:01 PM   #68
Fantasy Freak

Nostalgia is great but we have to look to the future as things can get even better, when it comes to games, if nothing else!
Fantasy Freak is offline                         Send a private message to Fantasy Freak
Old 25-09-2006, 10:36 PM   #69
thebes
Game freak

Good Show treewyrm! In answer to Blood-piggy I enjoy playing War in Russia as old as it is as much as Hearts of Iron II. I enjoy the old Bard's tale as much as Might and Magic 6. It's replayablity.
Luke 7:23 And blessed is he, whosoever shall not be offended in me.
thebes is offline                         Send a private message to thebes
Old 05-02-2007, 04:53 AM   #70
silz
Abandonia nerd

Definitely the 80s have the best games. But don't forget that at that time, PC gaming was new and as with everything new and untested they are a bunch of originality and no one is afraid to venture out with different concepts. Back then, it was a wild jungle out there. 27 years down the road, its a different story. Concepts are overused or recycled extensively, thats why we find it isn't so good anymore.

Nowadays, making a game is more expensive and yet still going through the original channel of developer to publisher, to retailer, and to end user. With the internet selling used games are also easier and that greatly reduce overall revenue for the makers of the game. No one is willing to keep games that they bought anymore unless its their favorite titles hence the making of the sequels only.
silz is offline                         Send a private message to silz