Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Music, Art, Movies
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

View Poll Results: Is manowar the ultimate metal band in the known universe ?
Yes, of course 5 9.62%
Yes, but barely 0 0%
No, not since they dumped Ross the Boss 2 3.85%
No, but keep up the good work 8 15.38%
No way, they are a bunch of loosers 18 34.62%
Manowar ? 19 36.54%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Old 13-07-2005, 03:04 PM   #51
Chuck the plant
Game Wizzard

Well, there are quite some amazing german electro-bands, but I surely wouldn't count Wolfsheim to them
Chuck the plant is offline                         Send a private message to Chuck the plant
Old 16-07-2005, 11:18 AM   #52
Xikarita
Abandonia nerd

Manowar is ok, but I prefer other bands of the same genre... like Iron Maiden
As for the ''attitude'' thing, it's just pose... you can't blame them, they gotta sell their records somehow! It's not like they're the only band that does that.
Old 26-07-2005, 07:29 AM   #53
Lonely Vazdru
Super Freak

Quote:
Originally posted by Xikarita@Jul 16 2005, 11:18 AM
As for the ''attitude'' thing, it's just pose... you can't blame them, they gotta sell their records somehow! It's not like they're the only band that does that.
I don't think so. Unless they are very, very stupid. They've been laughed at for 20 years, and they would probably sell lots more records dressing like and looking like the boy next door with a bad case of headache and the worst possible taste in clothes and haircut. Leather, long hair and macho attitude have stopped being money makers for at least 10 years. I think they like it, and rather sell 100 000 copies being themselves, than 1 000 000 being what they despise. k:
Lonely Vazdru is offline                         Send a private message to Lonely Vazdru
Old 26-07-2005, 11:12 AM   #54
Chuck the plant
Game Wizzard

Quote:
Originally posted by Lonely Vazdru@Jul 26 2005, 07:29 AM
I think they like it, and rather sell 100 000 copies being themselves, than 1 000 000 being what they despise. k:
See what I wrote some pages earlier already:
In the USA, they come on stage in jeans and t-shirts. No leather. No fur. No Harleys. They do it in Europe only because it does INDEED sell. Without some sort of controversial image they would drown in the sea of other, better Metal-bands. It's just show and a cheap way of getting attention.
Chuck the plant is offline                         Send a private message to Chuck the plant
Old 26-07-2005, 07:18 PM   #55
Lonely Vazdru
Super Freak

Yeah you said that already. I must say that it breaks my heart a bit.

But still their image is very present on their album covers, promo pictures, etc,. Even if you don't like them (which i know is the case) you can't deny that their image was maybe cool and awe inspiring in the 80's but is now a source of ridicule and contempt. Even if they wear jeans and T-shirts on stage in the USA (and i believe you on that even if it pains me) they are still identified by their Conan style, which is responsible for a great part in the trash and insults and laughter they receive. So i can undestand that people would laugh at them, but not say that they do this to make money. They can't be at the same time accused of being false to sell records, and laughed at because their image sucks. Unless one thinks that they are both business men trying to sell records and get some attention, and lousy ones at that, because all their tricks make them the laughingstock of the metal world. I, for my part, think they don't give a $hit what other people think and do their stuff, far, far away from the new metal scene and it's everchanging alliegances.

As for the casual dressing in the USA, let's see that as a necessary sacrifice to play in their homeland, which never was really their homeland (they were always more popular in Europe, which accounts for the early "Hail to England" album). A man got to do what a man got to do.
Lonely Vazdru is offline                         Send a private message to Lonely Vazdru
Old 26-07-2005, 09:26 PM   #56
Xikarita
Abandonia nerd

@Lonely Vazdru: I suppose you do have a point, but they're not the laughing stock of Metal everywhere... they're still somewhat popular in Europe and must be «big in Japan» ?
Do you really believe they would still be selling records if they wore short hair and dressed ''normal''?
I'm not condemning anything, it's perfectly easy to understand!
Old 26-07-2005, 11:32 PM   #57
Lonely Vazdru
Super Freak

Quote:
Originally posted by Xikarita@Jul 26 2005, 09:26 PM
Do you really believe they would still be selling records if they wore short hair and dressed ''normal''?
Yes, I do !
Old 27-07-2005, 02:14 AM   #58
Chuck the plant
Game Wizzard

They sure as sh*t wouldn't. As I said, without their controversial image, there would be NOTHING to seperate them from tons of other Metal bands and there especially wouldn't be anything to make them "stand out" of the mass. It's the only thing that makes them "interesting" and "special" in some way. The fact that they don't sell sh*t in the US (where they dress and behave normally) and do sell quite a lot in Europe (where they pull off "the full monty") kinda proofs that, don't you agree?

There's a saying: "EVERY publicity is GOOD publicity." That obviously includes the bad one (like a ridicolous image), too.

Would you also believe that KISS would've gotten as far as they came (or even farer) WITHOUT make-up and Gene Simmons flying, spitting blood and breathing fire on stage (the breakdown of the whole KISS-merchandise-machine during the 80s kinda says it all... the fact that the financial success returned with the make-up and reunion even more...)? Would Alice Cooper have had even greater success in the 70s had he just cut that "psycho-stuff"? Would you say that ANY Black Metal Band would sell better if they'd sing about love and friendship and get some decent looks? Would a "band" like Rockbitch be of any interest if they'd stop fistf*cking each other on stage (yes kids, they actually really do - did? - that...)? GWAR without slaughter, carnage and weird sexual activities on stage and record? Would The Who have become one of the most influential rock acts if Roger Daltrey would've only sung stuff like "I love you, baby. Yeah, yeah, yeah" and Pete Townshend and Keith Moon would've ended the concerts by shaking each others' hands instead of beating the sh*t out off their instruments?
(BTW, I'm not at all ranking Manowar along those greats - well, cut Rockbitch out as well there - they're just examples for the influence of "image" or "concept" on success)

I guess you get the point.

Oh, and their image was NEVER "awe inspiring" and was never meant to be. It was part of the travesty LOL What do you think why Ross the Boss (the guy who FOUNDED Manowar) left the band at some point? Because the rest of the guys started to take the parody serious.
Old 27-07-2005, 03:12 AM   #59
Lonely Vazdru
Super Freak

Is there any chance that mister "professional disagreement" would even remotly consider the possibility, that maybe, just maybe, they are the way they are just because they really like what they do ? :blink:
Old 27-07-2005, 11:43 AM   #60
omg
Games Master

if you are liking manowar purly becuse of there stage show image check out a gwar video. those guys are actually funny and there stage show is just hilarios/awesome
omg is offline                         Send a private message to omg