Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 11-06-2005, 03:33 AM   #51
win98
In the loop on hardware.

PC=MIGHT AND MAGICVII
CONSLE= NONE BUT MAYBE KINDOMHEARTS FORPS2 SINCE IT IS THE ONLY RPG ON CONSLE I HAVE PLAYED
win98 is offline                         Send a private message to win98
Old 06-07-2005, 11:51 AM   #52
Borodin
Home Sweet Abandonia

If I had to choose one, it would be among these five titles:

Ultima VII: The Black Gate
King of Dragon Pass
Betrayal at Krondor
Baldur's Gate II
Planescape: Torment

Ultima VII has a scope that I think nobody has yet approached. King of Dragon Pass is a remarkable RPG/strategy hybrid with unusual depth. Betrayal at Krondor was the first 3D RPG, the first with chapters, the first to advance and develop new mini-plots as you moved through time. BG2 had wonderfully alive party NPCs with their own dialog and motivations, and PS:T had the finest writing, bar none, as well as in-depth characterization.
Borodin is offline                         Send a private message to Borodin
Old 07-07-2005, 05:47 PM   #53
Vinin
Lurker

Personally I think the original baldur's gate was so much better than BG2. Near the end of BG2, you did become really really strong wheras in BG1, it was more realistic for me. A wolf could kill my lvl 7 mage which I would imagine could happen if I was a mage too.
Besides, the best characters of BG2 had their premier here especially Minsc and Boo.

Otherwise, FFVI absolutely blows FFVII out of the water. If you disagree, it is because you never played VI. Once you do, you will see that VII was not nearly as good. It is in my opinion of slightly lower grade than FFV. Play them and you will see. They actually sell them in chronology packs. I got the V/VI pack for my ps1 and that was at least 4 monthes of my life gone.

Also, if you played Tales of Symphonia and thought that was amazing and the battle system innovative, it isn't. It uses basically the same one as it's predecessor. Play it, it is an amazing game with an amazing storyline

In any case console wise:
1. Final Fantasy 6
2. Final Fantasy 5
3. Tales of Phantasia
4. Breath of Fire II
5. Final Fantasy 7

PC-wise:
1. Fallout 2
2. Baldur's Gate
3. Ultima VII: The Black Gate/Serpent Isle
4. Knights of the Old Republic
5. Baldur's Gate II
Vinin is offline                         Send a private message to Vinin
Old 07-07-2005, 06:27 PM   #54
moogle
Abandonia Homie

Counsel: FF7
Pc: Lands of Lore/Might and Magic series.
moogle is offline                         Send a private message to moogle
Old 08-07-2005, 12:04 AM   #55
eolsunder

Yea for the consoles I have to say FF7.

Now, thats not saying FF7 was the best, many people have their opinions, usually it depends on your age. Young players like the newer FF10 like titles, while older players remember games that actually had substance, not pretty pictures.

But I have to say FF7 was the best in many areas. It was one of the first console games that got people into rpgs, one of the best for the ps1. It was also a huge breakthrough in many areas of gameplaying that have carried over to newer games. A huge jump from FF6. Tons of mini games, 3d graphics, movie sequences, and many more things.

Now, in my eyes, there are a few games that were very good for the console that I liked alot, almost as good as FF7. Xenogears was one that was close, if not on the same level as FF7. Other nice ones were final fantasy tactics. Many people liked the other FF, 5-10. Games like Chrono trigger/cross, breath of fire, star ocean, arc the lad, dark cloud 1/2, and others are also very fun.

Now for the pc, man, have been a bunch. Might and magic, Wizardry, Ultima, etc. I think many old players have played many of them, and alot of them are super cool and fun. Personally I think the Baldur's gate series was a huge breakthrough on the PC, rpgs were kinda stagnant before that, kinda fizzling since the early days of the above named games. Baldur's gate brought rpgs on the PC into the current decade. With fun storylines, characters, fun gameplay.

I have to vote Baldur's gate 1/2 as top on the PC, many others were fun as heck to play over the decades, but I think I played BG1 and 2 for months, really enjoying them. Yea, BG2 kinda turned into a hack fest with its expansion, but still was very fun and good.
eolsunder is offline                         Send a private message to eolsunder
Old 08-07-2005, 03:06 AM   #56
Shifter
Abandonia nerd

Send a message via ICQ to Shifter

Quote:
Originally posted by Triton@Jun 1 2005, 08:33 PM
* In fact, there was nothing special about Final Fantasy VII.

Well luckily I don't know you already, because a statement like this easily puts someone on my "0 credibility list"

=D

Anyways, I would say FF6(3), or Crono Trigger, would be at the top of my list.
Old 08-07-2005, 11:27 AM   #57
Suede

Final fantasy 7 was the first RPG i ever played and i thought it was brilliant. As it was my first RPG i was abit dissapointed with the ending...mainly because it just ended.

Grandia 2 was a very good game as well, in par with grandia 1 in my mind.

My other favourites are wild arms 2 and 3, breath of fire 3 and the suikoden series(can be annoying though to have to start again just to get the 100 odd stars).

Ive recently started to get bored with the new RPG's that have came out, they just cant seem to keep my attention. Maybe i'm just getting bored of RPG's in general which is shame because i used to enjoy the good gameplay and plot that came with these kinda games.
Suede is offline                         Send a private message to Suede
Old 08-07-2005, 11:51 AM   #58
Iron_Scarecrow
Home Sweet Abandonia

I just finished Suikoden 2 and it was absolutly brilliant, I'd say better than Grandia 2 cause it wasn't 3D.
Iron_Scarecrow is offline                         Send a private message to Iron_Scarecrow
Old 08-07-2005, 03:36 PM   #59
Suede

Grandia 2 is a very good game but i must recomend grandia 1. Its has a great story with lots of playable characters. Grandia 1 was on ps1 and maybe still sold now. It's a must play game.
Suede is offline                         Send a private message to Suede
Old 09-07-2005, 05:02 PM   #60
BlackMageJawa
Game Wizzard

Star Ocean: The Second Story is the best console-style RPG ever.
It is followed by the Lunar series, then FFVI, FFIX and FFX.

FFVII is somewhere around the middle. And FFVIII is the worst RPG ever made. Unless you count Diablo.
BlackMageJawa is offline                         Send a private message to BlackMageJawa