Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 31-07-2007, 11:18 PM   #451
Erinautical

Great, thanks a lot. I'll try it.

Old 11-08-2007, 08:31 PM   #452
danicus

I have played MOM a lot and even got to the point where I would bust out the old D&D dice and randomly pick spell books, race, color, special abilities and even the picture of the wizard I would use. Had some real fun games and got my behind kicked often. One of my all time favorite games is when I was trolls and had sorcery (red) magic. Got the Minotaur units and then cast Chaos Channels on them, it would give them flight, or stone skin, or another Chaos upgrade (can't remember the third possibility at the moment). Any way with Stone Skin a Minotaur unit is pretty tough and they regenerate ... got’ta like that.

One of the toughest to take (or try to beat) is a High men/ Sorcery combination. Sorcery is the toughest magic – killer overland spells, summoning sky drakes, invisibility, flight … the list goes on.

High men – fast engineers (dwarves are faster), paladins, over all economic and population growth is good.

The ability to customize, and control your empire/ army/ magic is what makes this one of the best games ever made!

I'd be happy with an update of the game with just two minor(?) changes: a build list so that you could direct your chancellor in a specific direction with out having him stop the game asking, and then be having you tell him, “No I don’t think a Trireme is the best choice right now.” And the other thing would be some kind of multi-player availability. Nothing can take the place of a human opponent.

This is all IMHO of course.
danicus is offline                         Send a private message to danicus
Old 12-08-2007, 12:22 AM   #453
Scatty
Treasure hunter

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(danicus @ Aug 12 2007, 06:31 AM) [snapback]304266[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
One of my all time favorite games is when I was trolls and had sorcery (red) magic. Got the Minotaur units and then cast Chaos Channels on them, it would give them flight, or stone skin, or another Chaos upgrade (can't remember the third possibility at the moment). Any way with Stone Skin a Minotaur unit is pretty tough and they regenerate ... got’ta like that.[/b]
I think you confuse few things here.
First of all, Sorcery magic is blue (with Phantom Warriors and all that), red is Chaos magic.
Second, the Trolls don't have a Minotaur unit but War-Mammoths, and
Third - the Mammoths don't regenerate. The Beastmen have the Minotaurs, but those don't regenerate either.

The third Chaos Channels bonus was Fire Breath +2, btw.
Scatty is offline                         Send a private message to Scatty
Old 12-08-2007, 01:38 AM   #454
12turtle12
Game freak

Now I wish I would've practiced all the French I learned in school.....
Did I hear correctly that there is a sequel to MoM?
12turtle12 is offline                         Send a private message to 12turtle12
Old 12-08-2007, 08:27 PM   #455

Scat T- you are right on all points: it was Chaos magic, the third possibility of Choas Channels is Fire-breath and it was beastmen, and they don't regenrate. I stand corrected!
It takes a big man to admit he's wrong. Unfortunately, I not a big man.
Dang, I'm going have to bust out MOM and play some more ... I use it w/ DOS bow and it runs real slow.

cazgot - At the moment there is no sequel, I was speaking in an "what if only" kind of wistful thinking mode there.

All - another thing to update would be some more "generic magic" spells gray or brown (I think the nuetral cities / armies were brown). And the ability to upload a picture of myself or one of my creation for dipolmacy and such.

Old 13-08-2007, 08:23 AM   #456
another_guest
Abandonia Homie

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Guest @ Aug 12 2007, 08:27 PM) [snapback]304344[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Dang, I'm going have to bust out MOM and play some more ... I use it w/ DOS bow and it runs real slow.
...[/b]
You can always try to skip 1 or 2 frames, usually doesn't change the gameplay but makes things go faster.
Old 14-08-2007, 05:34 PM   #457

Dos Box recently upgraded to version .70 which is much faster than the older versions try that also

Old 14-08-2007, 05:36 PM   #458
Mighty Midget
Pox Vobiscum

It's latest version is 0.71. Give that a try too
Old 14-08-2007, 06:20 PM   #459
Japo
Autonomous human

If you still have speed problems don't use scaling nor aspect correction and I think overlay should be the faster rendering method in Windows according to the DOSBox official FAQ.
Old 15-08-2007, 07:44 PM   #460
danicus

I went and downloaded the latest version of DOSBox (7.1 something) and was going to load the lastest version of Defend, u kno the frontend, and found that it has been taken down by the author. So I tried DOG frontend and it is working very nicely. I'm still experimenting with the frame skipping and other tweeks mentioned here. (thanks all). But I'm having a blast playing MOM again!
I was looking for some free icons to import to the DOG icon folder, but was too impatient to look for long, afterall I do have a world to conquer.
danicus is offline                         Send a private message to danicus