Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 01-02-2009, 06:56 PM   #31
DOS Boot

Are the tutorials in Fargile Allegiance supposed to have speech narrations? If so, they don't seem to be present with my current configuration. I'm running the game in DOSBox 0.72 (default configurations) and mounting the game as a CD, and while music and game sounds are present it seems that speech is missing from the tutorial videos. Any ideas on this situation?
DOS Boot is offline                         Send a private message to DOS Boot
Old 01-02-2009, 07:01 PM   #32
red_avatar
Administrator

The speech was ripped - I didn't even know the tutorial had speech but then again, I haven't used that tutorial in 13 years. Really though, this game is not that hard. Build living quarters, make sure the colony has air, water, energy and build mines and silos - I think that's most of it. Then sell your ore, scout for other asteroids, etc.

red_avatar is offline                         Send a private message to red_avatar
Old 01-02-2009, 07:05 PM   #33
DOS Boot

Right on, thanks for the confirmation, Red.
DOS Boot is offline                         Send a private message to DOS Boot
Old 01-02-2009, 09:07 PM   #34
tommaguzzi

after playing this for a while i got bored with it far too quickly. i tired of clicking through all the screens and having to memorise what each button does. its a nice game but not for me, stars! is much better even though i know it is not abandonware.

i bought my copy of that fantastic game for £3 on amozon market place one day i hope it too will be abandonware.
keep up the great work chaps i love old games
tommaguzzi is offline                         Send a private message to tommaguzzi
Old 01-02-2009, 09:33 PM   #35
AlumiuN
Vodka-Induced Entertainment

Actually, Stars has been approved to go here. It's just that no-one's written a review yet.

Lies are for those who cannot handle the truth, but truth is for those who cannot handle the lies.
AlumiuN is offline                         Send a private message to AlumiuN
Old 14-02-2009, 07:07 PM   #36
Question

Whenever I play the game, it opens to the Main Screen and then I click "play new" which calls in a prompt of "Please insert CD into CD Drive." It took me a while to get it to go this far and I've been trying to play this game for a month or two

Old 22-02-2009, 05:36 AM   #37
FA Player
Default Help!

This is weird---I followed the instructions on how to play FA exactly and it worked---the first time. Now I'm trying to play and it doesn't work anymore! It keeps telling me I need to insert the CD.

Here's what I'm doing on DOSBox:

mount c c:\games
mount d c:\games\fragile - t cdrom
c:
cd fragile
fragile.exe

Worked like a charm the first time---but now it no longer does. Am I missing something? Help!

Old 22-02-2009, 08:35 AM   #38
red_avatar
Administrator

Sounds like you changed the settings. In the rip, some things were cut including animations of buildings (which is just dressing - no need for it). If you turn those on in the menu, it will ask for the CD for obvious reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
Whenever I play the game, it opens to the Main Screen and then I click "play new" which calls in a prompt of "Please insert CD into CD Drive." It took me a while to get it to go this far and I've been trying to play this game for a month or two
If you mount the game correctly, it should work. Dosbox is a contained system meaning that different system settings have no effect to whether a game works inside Dosbox as long as your Dosbox is properly set up. Follow the settings and it WILL work. I downloaded and tested the archive myself so I know it does.

Last edited by The Fifth Horseman; 22-02-2009 at 08:44 AM.
red_avatar is offline                         Send a private message to red_avatar
Old 22-02-2009, 08:43 AM   #39
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

You're not missing anything. You have a space in excess:
mount d c:\games\fragile - t cdrom
The commands and arguments have to be entered precisely down to a single character or they won't work (or at best will, but not correctly).
This is the correct syntax:
mount d c:\games\fragile -t cdrom

FYI, I'd suggest to move these three lines:
mount c c:\games
mount d c:\games\fragile -t cdrom
c:

To the [autoexec] section of your DOSBox config file. That way, they'll be executed automatically every time you start DOSBox and you won't have to enter them yourself every time.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 16-03-2009, 01:40 PM   #40
k240 fan
Default I have a problem with running game...

... under Dosbox 0.72. In conf file 16 mb is set. After mounting dir with game and emulating cdrom, and typing fa, dosbox writes an error message 'buffer overflow', then freezes. Help!