Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 17-09-2005, 01:28 AM   #31
Jorge35
Lurker

The demo of this game had some art files related to hidden units that don't appear in the full version (unit icons and animations).

One of those units - a blue coated spearman - can be found in the screenchoot that appears in the back of the original Box.

Two years ago made a sort of expansion pack to include these units in the game. So, the art is original SSI and the stats are homemade. It contains 6 units.

If someone is interested I can send the files.
(Free, of course)

Works with version 1.0 also works with SSI's Mini-Campaign Add-On installed.

I would like to upload the files but currently don't have any webspace.

Jorge
jorge5hp@hotmail.com

p.d. For those who could be interested in play Fantasy General by mail
check this site
http://www.chesco.com/~nvayn/singles/fgladder.html
Old 23-09-2005, 06:57 AM   #32
Dirtdawg

I don't get it. I've tried every exe and bat file that came with this game and all I get are errors and a crashed Dosbox. Am I missing something?

Old 23-09-2005, 07:42 AM   #33
Dirtdawg

I was missing something. The files didn't extract right.

Old 18-10-2005, 07:36 AM   #34
strachwitz

Checking out my FG- CD I also found 15 musictracks. The last one also contains the narration from the intro. So I can't be sure that the music of the last track is identical for all country specific versions. Which country specific version of FG I do own?... take a quick guess, after reading.
As far as I was able to identify most of the music are slightly rearranged chorals, some in latin, some in english (latin with english accent gives me the creeps :P). I posetivly identified two tracks as beeing written by J.S.Bach (everyone should know him, cause there are at least two ringtones originally composed by J.S.B. on every cellphone).
Maybee somebody else could complete this research by also spreading to other composers (I would recommend Händel and Orff). This is how far I got:

track 1 - Data
track 2 - unknown
track 3 - unknown
track 4 - unknown
track 5 - unknown
track 6 - Dona nobis pacem (Give us peace.) Mass in h- minor BWV 232 Nr. 27
track 7 - unknown
track 8 - vocal of track 3
track 9 - vocal of track 4
track 10 - vocal of track 5
track 11 - vocal of track 6
track 12 - vocal of track 7
track 13 - instrumental (could even fit for Panzer General)
track 14 - instrumental variation of track 4
track 15 - instrumental variation of track 4
track 16 - Komm süßer Tod, komm selge Ruh (Come sweet death, come holy rest) - Cantata BWV 478

The game itself is another well-done representative of the SSI "General"- familie. The idea of adding items, which can be used by the units is a real hit. I recommend a cavallry/ Artillery based tactic (heavy cavallry equals tank- units, light cavallry equals reconaissance units). Equipped with some handy items those units can flank out the enemy leaving the rest for the infantery. Bowmen (Antitank/ AA-gun) are usefull for defense (only in second defense line!). Attacking some entrenched units they normally don't suffer damage (unless attacking bowmen), but if the attacked unit surviwes... In general every unit has its own advantages and disadvantages. Two big weakpoints of the game:
1. It is impossible to decide wether to research for regular, mechanical, magical or animal units.
2. It is impossible to upgrade mechanical, magical and animal units, making those units relativly uninteresting.

Old 18-10-2005, 01:41 PM   #35

Great game with a lot more replay value than many new games.

Old 13-11-2005, 06:13 AM   #36
Galahad

How comes that on Island 2 in my 6th battle (or about that) I get the Message:

"Unopposed the Shadowlord crusher her" or about that...now a bit about what i did:

I had the opportunity to attack the castle on Island 2, but decided to attack another point first. I had 21 turns at the beginning to copmplete it. After the 3rd turn (17 to go) I had smashed the half of his army while staqnding right before a city, emptied by me, although not taken. Now as I ended the turn that strange message appeared??Ideas, anyone?Oh and ofcourse I lost the game when that message appeared...

Old 13-11-2005, 07:27 PM   #37
laiocfar
NOD Commander

next time take the castle
Old 14-11-2005, 01:04 AM   #38
strachwitz

Quote:
Originally posted by Galahad@Nov 13 2005, 07:13 AM
How comes that on Island 2 in my 6th battle (or about that) I get the Message:

"Unopposed the Shadowlord crusher her" or about that...now a bit about what i did:

I had the opportunity to attack the castle on Island 2, but ....
I think you tryed to fight the "Sundered Plains" which has actually 20 turns :P.

The essential task here is to protect your own unoccupied village in the southwest (this is marked with a little red flag, indicating it to be a "victory point"!). I would presume that you were advancing eastward to the enemy village, rubbing up almost the entire enemy forces, while at least one enemy unit rushed to your village in the southwest and conquered it. For this unit it would take exactly three turns from starting positions to your unoccupied village.

If any of your own "victory points" are conquered, it will lead to automatically loosing the entire game at once! The Shadow Lord could loose any of his "victory points" without loosing; however after conquering the last one in a single battle the enemy proposes capitulation (reminds me of the "Black Knight" fighting against king arthur in some Monthy Python Movie.... *GG*)

Next time send at leas one fast unit (e.g. cavallery, light cav.) to your village, which can be reached within two turns from starting positions. Better send a whole corps (e.g. two cavallery, one light cav., one siege engines as one cavallery div, magicians, bowmen, one or two infantery as infantery div.) towards the shrine in the southeast. The cavallery can seek the enemy forces heading to your village (must be one or two divisions, if you count a single unit as a regiment). the Infantery division can clean up afterwards (Beware of the conjurer!).
Besides: If you are playing Marcas or Krell, you can find the Hero "Dreggo" conquering the shrine.

Old 14-11-2005, 11:53 AM   #39

Whoops...nopw that you say it...that must be right...I never protected ANY city so far so I wasnt going to do that on this mission either...And yes I lost that city but I never really realized that I would have to defend it!Thank you for helping me there!

Old 15-11-2005, 01:55 AM   #40
laiocfar
NOD Commander

Quote:
Better send a whole corps (e.g. two cavallery, one light cav., one siege engines as one cavallery div, magicians, bowmen, one or two infantery as infantery div.
8 unit? And u call it corp? It´s a half of the army and if they are the ones with more experience, it´s the better part of the army! With a few horsemens or light inf, he could deal with the rush attack.
Anyway u know the game very well