Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 10-07-2006, 01:00 PM   #301
More nonsense.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Scatty @ Jul 5 2006, 08:41 PM) [snapback]241746[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Oh really? Then why it is so that if you attack the berserkers for example with the hammerheads (or whatever they're called in English), the hammerheads almost don't take any damage while the berserkers are killed in the process? If the berserkers would counterattack with their attack strength which is pretty strong for them too, then the hammerheads would be hurt quite noticeably too, right?
[/b]
LOL, you don't state what levels the units are, so let's assume base level green Hammerhands have 3 defense , beserkers 6 swords. That's only 0.9 hits on average! And given that you are not systematically doing experiments ..... And what do you mean by "almost don't take any damage". Is 2 hearts considered that? what about 3? 4? Or do you just look at whether the health status is green or not? LOL.

Quote:
But the berserkers usually stand no chance against middle or good units attacking them first in melee,
I'm all ears to your counter-arguments.
[/b]
Funny how you are the only brilliant MOM player to notice such things that no other expert MOM player who has played hundreds of games have ever seen.

As I said, you want to convince people, give us exact stats of the attackers. defenders, what level they are at (eite whatever) what spells there are etc.. the exact circumstances, the number of times you played each scenario, and then we can see how likely what you claimed happened is.

Saying things like , "almost do no damage" ,"usually stand no chance", is impossible for people to verify.

Quote:

while when the berserkers attack they're 'the' killers ,(mostly because of the thrown weapons, but also because of the strength of their swords).
[/b]
You already answered your own question here. Thrown weapons are very powerful, because they occur prior to melee attacks.

Old 10-07-2006, 10:39 PM   #302
To Mr. Nonsense

Go and play the game, and see for yourself if you need some proof instead of argueing here. People play games to have fun with them and not to set up experiments, and if that's not the case for you then you're thinkably wrong here.

Old 18-07-2006, 04:04 AM   #303
Mr nonsense

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(To Mr. Nonsense @ Jul 10 2006, 10:39 PM) [snapback]242571[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Go and play the game, and see for yourself if you need some proof instead of argueing here. People play games to have fun with them and not to set up experiments, and if that's not the case for you then you're thinkably wrong here.
[/b]
My dear friend, Scatty was the one that made claims, without having evidence to back him up. The rest of us who knows how the combat system works as stated in both the manual and the Strategic guide as well as the unofficial FAQ, should not be the one who needs to bring evidence.

For the record, I did a quick experiment. With a recruit spearman with iron skin, holy armor which leads to a shield of 1+2+5 = 8 and a swords of 1. I also modded the spearman to have movement of 5 to aid testing.

I brought it up against a warbear.

My friend claims that the defending unit counterattacks using his shields instead of swords.

It's simple enough, under his hypothesis, it is obvious that if you use your spearman to attack it will do less damage then letting the spearman counterattack (8 shields will be used to calculate damage according to him).

I won't bore you with the results, but basically whether I attacked first or the spearman attacked first, the bears suffered the same amount of damage (between 0 to 2 hits). This is very unlikely if the spearsman counterattacks with shields since shields are *8 times* that of swords.

Old 18-07-2006, 04:07 AM   #304

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Scatty @ Jul 6 2006, 06:55 AM) [snapback]241796[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Yes you're right, it's lying before me here and it's all covered there. Sorry, the dispute is solved.
[/b]
??? I thought you were claiming both the manual, the official strategy guide was wrong?? So you are now saying your observations are wrong?

Old 18-07-2006, 07:02 AM   #305
Scatty
Treasure hunter

I didn't claim such a thing, I actually forgot that I had it :P
Scatty is offline                         Send a private message to Scatty
Old 27-07-2006, 02:41 PM   #306
Mr nonsense

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Scatty @ Jul 18 2006, 07:02 AM) [snapback]243714[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
I didn't claim such a thing, I actually forgot that I had it :P
[/b]
Well you put pretty strong claims on your theory about how defense is used for counter attacks... No reminder in the form of quotes needed I trust?

Please note that the manual isn't completely clear on the mechanics with regards to multi figure combat (e.g is it total swords * figures or does each figure take a seperate swing (sometimes it matters), do units defend with total defense* figures or do they defend indidivually each trying to block the damage inccured etc). , the MOM official strategic guide gives a much clearer version but whether that is 100% accurate, I don't think anyone has had the patience to test.

But your theory about how defense is used for counterattack is patently wrong despite all your protests. Here's a sample.

Quote:
Oh really? Then why it is so that if you attack the berserkers for example with the hammerheads (or whatever they're called in English), the hammerheads almost don't take any damage while the berserkers are killed in the process?[/b]

Old 29-07-2006, 02:05 AM   #307
Jim

Does anyone know why I can't get Master of Magic to save a game? I am running it with dosbox(latest version) and I have copied everything from my cd to a folder on my harddrive. If it makes a difference, I am running windows XP.

One thing I do notice is that my computer defaults my "magic" folder to 'read' only in the attributes section, even after I try to uncheck it. Does anyone know how to prevent this or how to "make" in not read only? Thanks for your help.

Jim

Old 03-08-2006, 11:34 AM   #308
Szaemon

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FreeFreddy @ Aug 24 2004, 03:02 PM) [snapback]9891[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Even in it's unpatched state? Heh, the unpatched state is there to make troubles only - better you patch it. :wink:
[/b]
Hello, this is another question which I'm certain most of you will find laughably simple. How do you ...apply.?? a patch to a game? I have downloaded both the game and the patch. I read the read me file, but I didn't see any clear and simple instruction for the computer illiterate folks like me.
Would someone please help me with this?
Thanks in advace.
Szaemon is offline                         Send a private message to Szaemon
Old 03-08-2006, 12:25 PM   #309
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
Would someone please help me with this?[/b]
But of course, especially since you asked so nicely.

Looking at the patch archive, it looks like an "overwrite" style patch, ie one where you have to replace the files in the game directory with those from the patch archive.

Just unpack the contents of the archive with the patch to where you have unpacked the game, and choose "yes to all" when prompted about overwriting files. Simple like that.

Have fun

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 03-08-2006, 03:19 PM   #310
Szaemon

Thanks again Horsman! You are quickly becoming my Knight in Shining Armor!
Szaemon is offline                         Send a private message to Szaemon