Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Community News & Feedback > Old Suggestions
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 30-06-2009, 07:23 PM   #21
Japo
Autonomous human

Actually, the previous system did allow server leeching, which was actually done regularly, notoriously by free-game-downloads.mosw.com:

http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=13204

I'd love that slow connection users could be accomodated in as many ways as possible, but my first intuition is that making download URLs not to expire is inherently a vulnerability. I can't see a way to accomplish both things. I'm no expert either so I may be wrong.

If there is a way that users of slow connections could be allowed to do interrupted downloads, it would be by using a download manager that doesn't depend on the direct URL to persist, and at least let you enter new URLs manually for the same file. Surely that's perfectly possible.
Old 30-06-2009, 07:31 PM   #22
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

japo.. they meant he leeches reviews and archives from abandonia, not direct linking download links and our bandwidth
Old 30-06-2009, 08:16 PM   #23
Japo
Autonomous human

No, both. I thought the same when the topic started, but it appears he doesn't host the files. Like for example this explanation by Tom:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Henrik View Post
Calling his ISP (or whatever it is called) also does not help, as he doesn't actually need bandwidth (due to him leeching bandwith of other sites) - so he can just register for a low cost domain and refer his site url anytime he want to, and continue to leech, steal and rob. :not_ok:
Or from Sebastianos:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romano View Post
To follow up on the discusion - DO NOT CALL ESA ON THIS GUY!!! There's no legal grounds for them to act upon!

The thing is simple - he's not hosting any games, he's not putting them up and he's NOT DOING ANYTHING ILLEGAL! All that guy does is points to places where the games are. So the site hosting the game would get in trouble. That's like if ESA would shut down GOOGLE for showing you a link to a warez site after you've been trying to find it. So that guy is simply charging you so he'd find the links for you - he's payed for browsing, not distributing protected games. That's the main reason he could not have been shut down. For crying out loud - Czech laws have nothing to do with it as they had to sign to respect the international copyright agreements before they joined the EU. So he could be touched by the law if he was doing something illegal. He's just doing something unfair!To follow up on the discusion - DO NOT CALL ESA ON THIS GUY!!! There's no legal grounds for them to act upon! I guess this should be also mentioned in the open forum - so no one could try and contact ESA (like Tom said he did).
It's actually easy to check for sure, but you'd have to pay once to that rat.

Last edited by Japo; 30-06-2009 at 09:08 PM.
Japo is offline                         Send a private message to Japo
Old 30-06-2009, 08:58 PM   #24
methuselah

My first post in this thread came about when I tried to download "Darkseed 2", first using "cURL", then "Free Download Manager" -- which is a GUI download manager. "Free Download Manager" did no better than "cURL" -- both refusing to resume the download. Others might want to experiment with FDM and post their results in this forum.

I have now found one website, thus far, where I can get the "Darkseed 2" download using FDM. A username and password must be provided to initiate the download; FDM can be configured to handle this authorization automatically. So, there is at least one alternative if people are having problems resuming downloads here at "Abandonia."

methuselah is offline                         Send a private message to methuselah
Old 30-06-2009, 09:10 PM   #25
Japo
Autonomous human

This is just idle chatter anyway, since nobody here can provide an informed, definitive answer. This can be mentioned to Studentis so they give an answer in time--though it's not really prioritary, certainly not right now.

Last edited by Japo; 30-06-2009 at 09:28 PM.
Japo is offline                         Send a private message to Japo
Old 30-06-2009, 10:27 PM   #26
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by _r.u.s.s. View Post
japo.. they meant he leeches reviews and archives from abandonia, not direct linking download links and our bandwidth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japo View Post
No, both. I thought the same when the topic started, but it appears he doesn't host the files. Like for example this explanation by Tom
he didn't from abandonia because abandonia had good system=P
Old 01-07-2009, 06:21 AM   #27
Peter
Forum hobbit

No matter how good the programmer is there is always the possiblity of mistakes. So I hope studentis can fix the security issue as the system worked pretty well. I don't think the download system is as complex as the site, so it might be pretty easy for them

Japo, maybe the system was introduced to prevent those leechers
Peter is offline                         Send a private message to Peter
Old 01-07-2009, 12:40 PM   #28
ComboTroop
Abandonia nerd

Wait! I have one thing to say, cause you all talking about Internet!

Lol, Internet
ComboTroop is offline                         Send a private message to ComboTroop
Old 01-07-2009, 04:16 PM   #29
Titan
Gnome

Send a message via ICQ to Titan Send a message via MSN to Titan Send a message via Skype™ to Titan

If we (the crew) gets our wishes, we'll have a torrent-server in the future... That should solve ANY problems with resuming.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:57 PM   #30
Japo
Autonomous human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
Japo, maybe the system was introduced to prevent those leechers
If you mean the new system that prevents cURL from working, that was precisely my assumption.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan View Post
If we (the crew) gets our wishes, we'll have a torrent-server in the future... That should solve ANY problems with resuming.
Swell. But I think AB's big server should still be used to seed, so less popular downloads aren't dependent on users.