Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 23-01-2008, 08:04 PM   #21
humorguy
Super Freak

JMB - Firstly, thanks for the manuals, etc! You were well quick and I am very grateful to you!

As a nice surprise (maybe), I thought you would all like to know that the developer of this game Joe Ybarra is quite a famous programmer. He worked on the original Bard Tales trilogy on the C64 then PC) and is currently working on the Star Gate MMORPG. He also worked on the fantastic Star Control II and the unknown, very hard, and underrated RTS title called Alien Legacy!
humorguy is offline                         Send a private message to humorguy
Old 24-01-2008, 07:23 AM   #22
Quinarbre

Very refreshing to stumble upon an oldie that has such unusual game mechanics !
If you do not want to bother JMB or if you have a tiny mailbox, the whole manual and spellbook are available on Underdogs and they take only 1.3 Mo. However, be warned that the quality of the scan is quite poor and that the spellbook has already been partly filled up.

For those interested, I've wrapped up a quickref card summarizing spell characteristics, elasticity and effects of the control ingredients. I've typed a clean (and unfilled) spellbook too. They're available in DOC, openoffice or PDF format for anyone who asks for them (and for the site of course if you wish).
Quinarbre is offline                         Send a private message to Quinarbre
Old 24-01-2008, 01:34 PM   #23
Geezer
Abandonia Homie

Thanks Quinarbre. It really is no bother but the mailbox size is becoming an issue for some. Everyone should know that getting a partly filled out spellbook is like having someone else tell you the solution to much of the game. Big time spoiler. Shame on Underdogs. :notrust:

I seperated the spellbook from the rest of the manual. The spellbook has a size of 1.3MB zipped and the manual 9.3MB zipped. Also I noticed that the quick reference card in the extras section (PDF) is working now.
"The gadfly has returned! Thou simpering, whining stable dropping. I have defeated thee repeatedly and still thou darest crawl back for more punishment. Chastise thee I shall. Thy stature is insignificant and thy name moronic. Brother to the vole! Offspring of money grubbing know nothings!" ... Spellcraft: Aspects of Valor
Geezer is offline                         Send a private message to Geezer
Old 24-01-2008, 02:25 PM   #24
Borodin
Home Sweet Abandonia

The Underdogs link works fine; thanks for the suggestion.

Note to others: it's not an archive download, but a PDF file. So if it appears to be taking a long time to simply get to the next screen--where in Underdogs you'd normally expect to see a robo-check--it's because the whole PDF is loading.
Borodin is offline                         Send a private message to Borodin
Old 24-01-2008, 03:24 PM   #25
Quinarbre

I guess they scanned the only manual copy they could get their hands on...
Anyway, since you've uploaded the original refcard, I've included its most interesting parts (key shortcuts mainly) in my file.

Here it is as a zipped OpenOffice document (the pdf version does not fit and the MS word version does not have a stable layout...)
Attached Files
File Type: zip spellcraft_refcard.zip (18.2 KB, 109 views)

Last edited by Quinarbre; 24-01-2008 at 03:29 PM. Reason: forgot the file
Quinarbre is offline                         Send a private message to Quinarbre
Old 25-01-2008, 12:48 PM   #26
Geezer
Abandonia Homie

All extras seem to be working properly now.
"The gadfly has returned! Thou simpering, whining stable dropping. I have defeated thee repeatedly and still thou darest crawl back for more punishment. Chastise thee I shall. Thy stature is insignificant and thy name moronic. Brother to the vole! Offspring of money grubbing know nothings!" ... Spellcraft: Aspects of Valor
Old 28-01-2008, 03:21 PM   #27
Borodin
Home Sweet Abandonia

Good deal.

Broderbund did some interesting titles, back in the day: Carmen Sandiego, The Last Express, Myst, and Dark Heart of Uukrul. They were a victim of CEO mishandling, being sold to The Learning Company without any guarantees--and TLC promptly fired about 500 Broderbund employees. You can imagine how well that affected morale and productivity. Then TLC itself almost immediately went under, and was purchased by Mattel--where that CEO was canned by his board for buying such a dead whale as TLC.

Don't you just love it when its the gaming Industry instead of the Gaming industry? But then, it hasn't been the same since Industry moved in, regardless.
Borodin is offline                         Send a private message to Borodin
Old 22-02-2008, 09:02 PM   #28
Miles
Forum hobbit

Send a message via AIM to Miles Send a message via MSN to Miles Send a message via Yahoo to Miles Send a message via Skype™ to Miles

Final battle's hard as heck though.
Miles is offline                         Send a private message to Miles
Old 13-05-2008, 09:21 AM   #29
crabjesus

Default Stuck in a quest

Apparently I've done something in the wrong order, because I've beaten the fire and air simalcrums many times, but no dice. Any tips?
crabjesus is offline                         Send a private message to crabjesus
Old 13-05-2008, 01:18 PM   #30
Geezer
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabjesus View Post
Apparently I've done something in the wrong order, because I've beaten the fire and air simalcrums many times, but no dice. Any tips?
What exactly do you mean by no dice. If you can give me a little more specifics maybe I can help.

Kill all other beings besides yourself in each realm before you return to Stonehenge. The map will tell you if there are any other creatures still alive in the realm. If you have defeated fire and air then move on to earth and water (if they are open). Which college did you choose in the beginning? Remember the simalcrums are part of training. When you defeat one Garwayen will keep giving you more difficult ones until he thinks you are ready to take on the other wizards. If the game is not progressing then you did not defeat or find all that you were supposed to. Did you catch all of Garwayen's instructions before he opened up the realm?