Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 26-06-2005, 02:47 PM   #21
gregor
Home Sweet Abandonia

well i never bought pirat games or music.

But what abotu this example - you listen to your radio hear a good piece and tape it. then you share the tape/CD with your friend. offocurse that makes you a thief. however this good music might spread good word on the band acting like advertising. and thenmaybe you and your friend buy the CD which if oyu never knew about this song wuldn't have done it.

I "shared" a few games. and i also have to say that when i found the game good i bought it. that's why i have perfectly good Half life that i got for free from my friend. and i also have one that i bough it. and i really, really don't feel like i stole anything.
Lifts-Her-Tail: But it is huge! It could take me all night!
Crantius Colto: Plenty of time, my sweet. Plenty of time.
From The Lusty Argonian Maid by Crassius Curio found in TES3: Morrowind
gregor is offline                         Send a private message to gregor
Old 26-06-2005, 05:13 PM   #22
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

That's a point I forgot to add in my last post.

Around here in North America, piracy is seen as a way to get goods free. There is a world of difference between buying pirated goods and getting them for free, much like Abandonware if you like.

Buying pirated goods is just like resell and is really seen as illegal around here by about anybody. Get it for free tough and it really lessen the "bad" feeling about it. It's seen more as a "share" attitude that way I guess.

I know that there is other places in the world where piracy is synonym of buying good instead of getting them for free. I would never understand how someone could accept that without associating this to thief immediatly...
Old 26-06-2005, 07:42 PM   #23
a1s
Hero Gamer

this picture has been made some time ago, and suits the theme of this thread very well:
a1s is offline                         Send a private message to a1s
Old 26-06-2005, 07:53 PM   #24
MadMarius
Forum hobbit

Software piracy?normal?Of course it's normal! A list of what i have "normal"...
My windows XP
Windows milenium on a cd.
Windows comander
ACDSEE
a lot of my games (actualy...99% are "normal")
7 gb of music and stiil growing.
So..don't you think that piracy is NORMAL!!! ...of course it iz....just look in my CD's and you'll get the point... :bannana:

by the way...an average salary in Romania is about 2000$ monthly.maybe i ma Xagerating...
Half of it goes on food...a quarter on day to day expenses and maintainence and stufff.
Yes i exagerated with the slalry.1000$ is the salaty ....think :crazy: ...
anyway the point is that in Romania pc games and music CD's are VERY expensive for normal humans.... ....so the way to do it is piracy...why..even my informatics teacher gave me a CD with DepecheMode,thei'tre newest album...so keep piracing! k: (hope no one involved in antipiracy groups dead this) :bannana:
MadMarius is offline                         Send a private message to MadMarius
Old 26-06-2005, 08:08 PM   #25
troop18546
Home Sweet Abandonia

If thats the minimum then think, how do people survive with the minimum wage here being 130$? :blink:
I have been buying games for years but the chance to get them for free changed that - about half a month ago.
troop18546 is offline                         Send a private message to troop18546
Old 26-06-2005, 08:22 PM   #26
MdaG
Abandonia Homie

Send a message via ICQ to MdaG Send a message via AIM to MdaG Send a message via MSN to MdaG Send a message via Yahoo to MdaG

Quote:
Originally posted by Flop+Jun 26 2005, 07:11 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Flop @ Jun 26 2005, 07:11 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Indignus IV@Jun 26 2005, 04:08 AM
Anyway. The companies are exactly the same with or without the piracy. It is the individual artists who get screwed.
I don't believe that. As far as I can see, the only way the artist will be directly affected by piracy is if he either published the game (or cd or book or whatever) himself, or if he's getting royalties. To my knowledge both of these are very rare in the gaming industry, and even in the music industry royalties deals are no longer that common. Most musicians today make only a fragment of the big stars of the last decades, but this isn't due to piracy, it's due to the fact that they're offered crappy contracts.

I suppose there is an indirect effect on the people who make the games, though. If the company they work for go belly up, partly due to piracy, the people who work there will obviously lose their jobs. It's a bit difficult to blame this on piracy, since there are bound to be a lot of what if's when a company goes bankrupt.

But saying that a programmer at Bethesda is directly hurt by piracy is like saying that an engineer at Ford is hurt every time a car gets stolen, IMO.

I do believe that the companies are hurt by it, though. [/b][/quote]
I second that, it doesn't make it right though. Stealing is stealing, this is just a lesser form of stealing.
MdaG is offline                         Send a private message to MdaG
Old 26-06-2005, 08:24 PM   #27
BeefontheBone
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

What about the moral implications and the fact that you're stealing, albeit from corporations? - pirating software etc rather than buying them causes the prices to go up for the rest of us who don't have a problem supporting the creators.
BeefontheBone is offline                         Send a private message to BeefontheBone
Old 26-06-2005, 08:32 PM   #28
A. J. Raffles
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

I'd say the main problem is that with this form of stealing, people often don't see that there are any moral implications. It just doesn't feel like stealing.
A. J. Raffles is offline                         Send a private message to A. J. Raffles
Old 26-06-2005, 11:43 PM   #29
Havell
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally posted by BeefontheBone@Jun 26 2005, 09:24 PM
What about the moral implications and the fact that you're stealing, albeit from corporations? - pirating software etc rather than buying them causes the prices to go up for the rest of us who don't have a problem supporting the creators.
Actually, MadMarius's pirating does not drive the prices up as he wouldn't have bought the games if he couldn't get them for free. What drives up prices is people who would have bought the game, getting it for free.
Havell is offline                         Send a private message to Havell
Old 27-06-2005, 12:00 AM   #30
Flop
Hero Gamer

I remember buying moonstone for about 350 kr 10-12 years ago. Strangely enough the prices are pretty much the same today, although pirating has exploded. Does anyone here really believe that the prices would fall if pirating completely stopped?

And has anyone considered that abandonia is, in fact, dedicated to pirating games? Abandonware is (for the most part) just a subcategory of warez. Granted, there is much stronger moral ground when defending abandonware, but in the eyes of the law there is no difference.
Flop is offline                         Send a private message to Flop