Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 30-04-2006, 04:11 AM   #2351
ShadowXIX
Abandonia nerd

Im having some problems running this game :help: . I tried the Windows version on XP and it runs really fast the globe spins so fast its hard to get it too a location without over shooting it. It also crashes very often when I go to a land mission

So I tried the DOS version in DOSBOX since that works great for just about every DOS game for me and it allows me some control over the game speed. I cant even get it to run on DOSBOX though, I dont even see a UFO.exe file to drag and drop over dosbox too play it..

It has weird exe. like

GO
NOWAY
DONE
DOS4GW

none of which start the game.

When i try Install it gives me the message change directory to and then enter cdsetup followed by your cdrom drive letter. But when I type "cdsetup d:" nothing happens

Anyone know how to get this to run on Dosbox?

ShadowXIX is offline                         Send a private message to ShadowXIX
Old 03-05-2006, 12:19 AM   #2352
GunsGG

Wow.

I first played this game 15? years ago? :Brain:

I remember beating it the first time I played it. Turned out to be a complete and total fluke! Oh those devious aliens!

Anyway, I have downloaded it on to my e-machine, with windows XP, and though it crashes often, I have been relearning the joys of X-COM. I enjoy that every alien cliche in history has been included, from the greys, mind-control, mutilated cows and morphing humans to aliens.

I read every one of the posts in these 178 pages! Wow...I need a life. :w00t:

I have managed to get almost a full year in game time, with no armor, armed entirely with laser rifles.....just so many things to research! I have enjoyed and used many of the tips I have found on the preceding pages...Thanks guys!

GunsGG is offline                         Send a private message to GunsGG
Old 03-05-2006, 12:42 AM   #2353
GunsGG

Quote:
Originally posted by JimmyJ@Apr 28 2006, 03:07 AM
Well, one time i started a new game, sent my skyranger to a crashed very small ufo, when i step outside the doors, the aliens instantly hurl grenades at me Needless to say that i died very fast
I've had this happen, and there isn't too much you can do about it if your front rank isn't high reaction. If they are, then a couple grenades out the ramp usually turns the tables. Though I have had a plasma bomb come through the open ramp and wipe out my entire squad!

A much more devious trick that I hate having played on me, is an immmediate mind attack of a rookie in the back, who promptly goes beserk and autofires into his mates. Loosing five or six soldiers before the enemy is even seen promply causes a couple others to panic. A domino of damage, before the first enemy is even seen!

I have been able to survive a terror attack with a *ok* rating, with just two survivors, though it was a nervous time untill the replacements arrived.

Speaking of which, who in their right mind would sign up of their own volition to be an X-Com opperative? Shoot me now and get it over with! :help:
GunsGG is offline                         Send a private message to GunsGG
Old 03-05-2006, 01:26 AM   #2354
Drinkdrawers

Hi. Is there or is there not a way to get the music files to play in the correct place in the game? I mean, the original was on floppy disks, I believe, so there's no way the music played off CD.

Thankeedoo.

Old 03-05-2006, 02:17 AM   #2355
JB

I am trying to run the DOS version but i just get spammed with a file not found error when i try to start it =(

Can anyone please help?

(trying to run the UFO.bat file)

Old 04-05-2006, 01:35 AM   #2356

Quote:
Originally posted by JB@May 3 2006, 02:17 AM
I am trying to run the DOS version but i just get spammed with a file not found error when i try to start it =(

Can anyone please help?

(trying to run the UFO.bat file)
It's been years since I did anything with DOS, but I believe you need an .EXE file. A .BAT file usually contains shell instructions.

Old 04-05-2006, 05:04 AM   #2357
laiocfar
NOD Commander

Quote:
I have been able to survive a terror attack with a *ok* rating, with just two survivors, though it was a nervous time untill the replacements arrived.
Well it can be worst. But i dont get why nodoby abort a mission. Nobody accepts that two people isnt enough to fight and i suspecting than most only carry one medic and no pullback the woundeds.
Old 04-05-2006, 09:19 AM   #2358
Raasted
Abandonia nerd

Quote:
I read every one of the posts in these 178 pages! Wow...I need a life.*
Indeed......

Quote:
Well, one time i started a new game, sent my skyranger to a crashed very small ufo, when i step outside the doors, the aliens instantly hurl grenades at me* Needless to say that i died very fast*
Now I know I'm behaving like a "smart guy" but very small ufos you wont encounter "aliens" - just "alien" k:

Ok, just had to get that out of my system, sorry guys

/Raasted
Raasted is offline                         Send a private message to Raasted
Old 06-05-2006, 04:24 AM   #2359
ShadowXIX
Abandonia nerd

I got the game working Man is it a addicting game, they dont make them like this anymore IMHO.

I have bases AREA 51 in Nevada in its real location and a base in the Ural mountains in Russia "Yamantau" Both real life secret military bases.

Ive gotten increases in funding from pretty much every member nation every month but now Im comming across Ertheal (spelling?) Terror ships that are doing a number on my men with the Mind control even when I shoot them done before they land. Plus I just saw my first alien retaliation Battleship looking for my bases
ShadowXIX is offline                         Send a private message to ShadowXIX
Old 06-05-2006, 09:16 AM   #2360
another_guest
Abandonia Homie

1) Until your men start having psi capabilities, you might want to ignore large ufos and terrorships with Ethereals, even if it hurts your monthly appraisal. Try to capture live Ethereals by attacking smaller ufos, then you stand a better chance of not getting slaughtered :P

2) Base defense... Particularly ethereals can be absolutely deadly if they attack your base. Go for at least plasma and fusion ball defenses, preferably more than one each + an anti-grav shield.
By the way, do multiple anti-grav shields have a cumulative effect?