Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 14-10-2005, 05:29 PM   #221
Undertaker
Super Freak

I believe you need no remove your shield as well to do any damage, because this way, you'll also hear a sound when you attack.
Undertaker is offline                         Send a private message to Undertaker
Old 15-10-2005, 12:48 AM   #222
Maerryji

Yesss, tried both with and without shields. No lucky blows.

Toads in Cimmeria make earthquakes even if you stay without any weapons or shields.

What about my previous posts (maybe you didn't notice) about Dawn and about items' hidden features? Any ideas?
Undertaker, you also didn't mention whether you knew about the removable wall in Scotia's domain.

One more "Did you know": Did you know that items you drop into the sinkholes are not necessarily lost? There is a place or two in swamps where part of such items appear.

Old 15-10-2005, 08:21 AM   #223
Gamefreak

Of course those items aren't lost. As far as I can remember, you can drop items in tree stumps or sinkholes in the swamp, and once you click on the sinkholes, you pick the item up again. The party doesn't have such luck there

Old 15-10-2005, 09:30 AM   #224

Quote:
Originally posted by Maerryji@Oct 15 2005, 12:48 AM

Toads in Cimmeria make earthquakes even if you stay without any weapons or shields.
Yes, my post was not entirely correct. Earthquaking creatures do earthquake even if you stay close to them, but imho not so often as when you stay further.

I have examined Baccata's "critical hits" (against transformed Scotia, not against Larkhon) and you're right, the key is... (insert fanfare here) SABRE "CUTTER"! (and no hit at all with bare hands). But only in hand of Baccata, not Paulson's. Baccata is figher level 8 and Paulson only 7, but when I battled Larkhon, Baccata's fighter level was much lower so I think it does not depend on figher level, but on Baccata.

Old 15-10-2005, 09:32 AM   #225
Mateej

Quote:
Originally posted by Guest+Oct 15 2005, 09:30 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Guest @ Oct 15 2005, 09:30 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Maerryji@Oct 15 2005, 12:48 AM

Yes, my post was not entirely correct. Earthquaking creatures do earthquake even if you stay close to them, but imho not so often as when you stay further.

I have examined Baccata's "critical hits" (against transformed Scotia, not against Larkhon) and you're right, the key is... (insert fanfare here) SABRE "CUTTER"! (and no hit at all with bare hands). But only in hand of Baccata, not Paulson's. Baccata is figher level 8 and Paulson only 7, but when I battled Larkhon, Baccata's fighter level was much lower so I think it does not depend on figher level, but on Baccata. [/b][/quote]
Sorry, I keep forgoting my name - Mateej.

Old 15-10-2005, 10:13 AM   #226
Undertaker
Super Freak

Quote:
Originally posted by Maerryji@Oct 15 2005, 12:48 AM
What about my previous posts (maybe you didn't notice) about Dawn and about items' hidden features? Any ideas?
Undertaker, you also didn't mention whether you knew about the removable wall in Scotia's domain.

One more "Did you know": Did you know that items you drop into the sinkholes are not necessarily lost? There is a place or two in swamps where part of such items appear.
Ah, yes. Sorry about that. No, I didn't know about both of these facts. Thank you, guys! I always appreciate new knowledge about the Lands!

Sorry, I didn't notice your 'hidden features' post! I can't believe it; it never happened to me before!

Now (finally) some little comments about the list!

1. Bezel rings also grant protection from being aslept (in the Swamps)
2. Yes, I knew. I think it does around 3x or even 4x damage!
3. I also knew this one. Does around 100 damage, I think.
4. Great Maul 'Thunder' is supposed to do triple damage in 25% of each hit. I have never seen this happen. The growl you hear might have something to do with it.
5. Hehe. The good ol' Westwood stick. Useful for killing Scotia in her human form, since she seem to have some sort of warding, so she suffer minimal damage from magic and weapons. Also, she doesn't have a decent evade.

1. The stealth equipment, yes... There are still many unanswered questions about those. I believe they decrease the enemies line of sight and make you unhearable, but I cannot confirm this. If this is true, they should be useful in the 3rd Tower level, since, unlike other creatures, ghosts are all around you (since they are ethereal). Also, I don't know if you must spread the equipment among your team members to be effective.
They might also have something to do with increasing hit/evade percentages.
2. The great sword 'Entrophy' hits the bearer every 7th strike (as taken from www.ethereallore.com). I don't know about the others, but I have been suspecting hidden properties, too.
3. Not that I know of, but everything is possible!

The great sword 'Eagle' and the great Axe "Death" have been removed from the game, I think, simply because they haven't ever been found. Great Maul 'Armaggeddon' is also such a weapon. Great Bow 'Tempest' and 'Darkness' can be found in treasure chest in Castle Cimmeria and can only be reached with a trainer.

You might want to check out http://37852.rapidforum.com/. It's a German forum, but we (I'm also a member) also have a lot of information about Lands 1-3. Also, We have plans to make a fan game, but it has been halted, because EA (the current owner of Westwood) forbids us to do so.

THAT was a long post!
Undertaker is offline                         Send a private message to Undertaker
Old 15-10-2005, 10:44 AM   #227
Undertaker
Super Freak

Damn, I forgot about the Dawn subject!

Yes, I've seen a screenshot with Dawn as the first character as well, but I believe it's nothing more than a nicely done Paint job.

If someone DOES know more about this, PLEASE let me know! k:
Old 16-10-2005, 08:38 AM   #228
Maerryji

Quote:
Originally posted by Undertaker@Oct 15 2005, 10:13 AM

Thank you, guys! I always appreciate new knowledge about the Lands!

1. Bezel rings also grant protection from being aslept (in the Swamps)

The great sword 'Eagle' and the great Axe "Death" have been removed from the game, I think, simply because they haven't ever been found.
You're welcome. Same here, hehe.

Sleeping and little injuries caused by swamp gas is what I've considered as poison, so I didn't mention it. Of course you're right.

The eagle great sword and the great axe "Death" are owned by four ghostly soldiers in Cimmeria, near the branch gates. Not always, same as maidens' longswords Gnarl, Snarl, and Gnash, but probably still available in every version.

Thank you for the additional information.

Let's go on.

Also the helm "Talamar" costs surprisingly high (150 s.c. in the last "shop" in Cimmeria). Same for George's kite shield (500 s.c. vs 50 s.c. for dwarven kite shield, but I believe it was a mistake).

What about that empty niche in Dungeons where all the items you put into are simply lost (at least it seems so)? Also, there is a place near NE corner where you hear a sound of opening wall or something like this. Does anyone know what does it all mean?

Old 16-10-2005, 09:32 AM   #229
Maerryji

I am going to provide some information which does not have high value for those who forgets about the game once it's done. I believe that mostly it is known by the experienced players, so it won't surprise them, too. On the other hand, it makes playing easier... and for me it wasn't easy to learn the second part.

First, the game has two ways of control: you can do everything using a mouse, but running and fighting is what you can do with only a keyboard (well, since the early versions keys F5, F6, F7, F8 do not cause any magic, but F1, F2, F3 are still available). So there are three possibilities, each fits its own situation.
a) Running-and-doing your quest (opening doors, chests, pressing buttons, trading etc.). Use arrow keys (7,8,9, sometimes maybe 4,6, of course at the right part of your keyboard) (left hand) and mouse in this case.
b) Running-and-fighting, when you just need to struggle your way through the packs of annoying but weak monsters. Use F1-F2-F3 (left hand) and arrow keys then.
c) Tough fighting - then you surely need a mouse, but still F1-F2-F3 are convenient.

Second, there are ways to make the fighting easier. There are two weapons that never fail: crossbow "Valkyre" and... a rock (when you throw it). (Exception: sometimes items become "unthrowable". I do not know why does it happen, but it is easy to notice that you can no longer throw your rock away. Then you can find another.) Of course, rock isn't usable to do considerable damages (though lesser Orcs die after 4-5 blows), but...
But the Lands' monsters have not only health but also shields. Health is constant for all creatures of the same kind, shields' value varies around half of the health. To kill the monster, you need to chop its shields off first. So if monster dies in a single blow, you can be sure this blow was no less than shields+health of that monster.
But shields always fade after a single lucky blow. If it was below shields' value, monster remains in full health, otherwise it becomes wounded...
Now you can see that even rocks may be useful against powerful monsters... Of course, not Larkhon, great Orcs and other creatures immune to bashing.

Old 16-10-2005, 02:50 PM   #230
Undertaker
Super Freak

The Bezel ring: yeah, you're right about that. I didn't think about that that way!

Eagle/Death: Around those grates, huh? I'm sure I've never found the Eagle Sword, but I might have found the Death Axe (somehow, it rings a bell now you mentioned the grates).

The helm "Talamar" might have something to do with increasing your magic or something, but I've never noticed any differences.

I don't know much about the niches in the Dungeons. I believe you could find disappeared items somewhere on the floor...
I also noticed that 'wall-shoving'-sound in the north east. I've searched a very long time, with no result, but after I used a trainer to get behind the wall I found... a stair to the Yvel Woods! This part of the wood is located behind Vulture's Chasm and is not fully completed. You can find an Ace of Oblivion and some kind of wand as well. It appears there was supposed to be a shortcut out of the Dungeons, but it didn't make it to the final release.
So my guess is that stepping on that invisible plate opens and closes the wall.

What you're saying about the shields really surprises me. I thought those shields were mere decorations. Do you also know if a creature uses a weapon (like some Orcs do) also do more damage?
Also, when a shield is destroyed, does that creature's appearence change? It would be very strange if I wouldn't have noticed that!