Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 17-09-2007, 07:16 AM   #11
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Havell @ Sep 17 2007, 04:25 AM) [snapback]311290[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
And yes, Alpha Centauri is the best <strike>Civilization</strike> game there is.
[/b]
You should get Alien Crossfire. You can play it as "basic" AC or with the additions. Plus it has a faction editor. k:

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 17-09-2007, 11:19 AM   #12
Japo
Autonomous human

I was very impressed by Alpa Centauri when I played it, I thought it would be same old. I'd have liked that Civ3 followed that path, with rich diplomacy, non-borderline AI (unlike the whole Civ series), modular units, policies instead of nonsensical regimes, etc.
Old 17-09-2007, 12:29 PM   #13
gregor
Home Sweet Abandonia

Yeah alfa centauri has nice choice of policies.

but this is also it's downside as a longlasting friend wil SUDDENLY become your enemy just because you have a very eco-friendly country. and they are willing to attack you over your policies. :blink:

Eat my planet buster you stupid piece of .... BOOM! how is that for non-green policies? you like that?

You will see what i mean when you get them.

Also i was a bit annoyed by all those watercolonies. well not so much by them, but by the fact that they don't shop propperly on the map (ehm border doesn't show...).

Wow Mantis shop is still alive! i though they will die out since they are located in this dark corner in basement of a building not many people go to (except for a few highchooll kids who eat at McD). well unless they moved now. i think i will have to pay them a visit after i finish my studies (can't wait for that). one should reward himself.
Lifts-Her-Tail: But it is huge! It could take me all night!
Crantius Colto: Plenty of time, my sweet. Plenty of time.
From The Lusty Argonian Maid by Crassius Curio found in TES3: Morrowind
gregor is offline                         Send a private message to gregor
Old 17-09-2007, 03:50 PM   #14
Japo
Autonomous human

I played a game of AC long ago and I basically won hands down, I know what it's about. IMO that sympathies are influenced by policies is a cool feature. If you were green you should have armies of those nasty alien mind benders and they cut normal units to pieces regardless of their weaponry.

I played the scientific faction and had green policies. The most hostile faction was the Hive but when I dispatched a warship way above their technolgic level and a bunch of uber-aliens they just kida surrendered before I ever got to shoot, and offered to submit. The Industry faction was also hostile but I beat the daylights out of them until they licked my boots. The UN were pathetic and bullied by the Hive so they loved me and my policies. The second most powerful faction was the Green one and they wouldn't submit but since they were nice and liked my policies I chose not to wage war. With world peace so guaranteed, I called a world council and was elected world leader. In the mainstream Civ games the only way to guarantee world peace is conquering the world, and that's what the Civ games are about and nothing else. And the other civilizations' AIs are just clones of Gengis Khan or Saddam Hussein so you can't live in peace with them even if you try, and diplomacy is dumb.
Old 18-09-2007, 06:48 AM   #15
gregor
Home Sweet Abandonia

Not quite true. Civ3 has diplomatic victory. also you can leave in peace (only some civs are agressive).

i just finished the game and won with diplomacy (elected as UN leader). I chose the civs, so i guess most of them were really peacefull. Those that weren't were crushed. I was in peace with English the whole time, Egyptians, Aztecks, Indians and Romans - the other 2 civs were eliminated as they were too agressive. ofcourse they are all more peacefull civs. but at least they don't attack you with no reason. and especially not if you have stronger units and only a bit different policy.

like i said i am only annoyed by others being hostile and wanted to attack only because of your policies. i mean policies could get them annoyed but to attack someone stronger than you just cause he is a green hippy?!? duh...

I still liked the game a lot. it is also very modable so you can remove somehow this hostility and then alliances are better. i also like to play it multiplayer with my bro. us vs the rest of Alpha...

Lifts-Her-Tail: But it is huge! It could take me all night!
Crantius Colto: Plenty of time, my sweet. Plenty of time.
From The Lusty Argonian Maid by Crassius Curio found in TES3: Morrowind
gregor is offline                         Send a private message to gregor
Old 18-09-2007, 10:46 PM   #16
Tito
Alley Cat

I'm sorry to have found this late, but the same Baldur's Gate compilation you are talking about was available here in Spain (at least in Madrid) for 9€. Of course, I bought it. What I can't remember right now is the name of the store where I got it. It was a department sore like Carrefour or MediaMarkt, in case you want to check for other games. I'll try to remember it.
Old 19-09-2007, 03:18 PM   #17
Japo
Autonomous human

Thanks, anyway in the end the prices were quite reasonable, plus shipping costs of course. I went to a games shop over here to see how's the business and everything was awfully expensive. Like 60€ for the Wii version of the Rayman game whose PC version is free to download right now.
Old 19-09-2007, 04:20 PM   #18
chumloofah
Game freak

This whole thing sounds like some nigerian fraud scam.
chumloofah is offline                         Send a private message to chumloofah
Old 19-09-2007, 04:43 PM   #19
Japo
Autonomous human

Still interested?
Old 19-09-2007, 04:45 PM   #20
chumloofah
Game freak

Sure.
Should I pm you my bank details or is it ok to just post here?

edit for message with a point----> I wouldn't mind helping actually, but unfortunately I'm not speaking to my thieving bank right now
chumloofah is offline                         Send a private message to chumloofah