Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 19-10-2004, 07:01 PM   #11
Andrew

Annoyingly, in order to be promoted, you need to buy estates. You can only do this by going into you home town (for the english, this is liverpool) when you already have 300,000 gold on hand. In the tavern, there should be a dealer dressed mostly in black - he will offer the estate to you. The larger estates cost 500k and 700k.

You also need to buy treasure - dealers selling these can be found all over the world. I think there are 6 items in total costing up to 25,000 each (er....or is it exactly 25,000 each?)

Apparently, different nationalities have different effects but I don't know what these are. Anybody know?

Also, there aren't enough ways to increase your loyalty - mine is stuck at 36 and I'm a merchant. (I need 45 to get a promotion, and have more than enough of the other 3 guild ratings) Helping out agents from you country (ie.: for England, take them to Liverpool) boosts it by 12, but I'm not sure if attacking enemy ships does that (I can't seem to attack them - I just set a course, and they attack me! This doesn't seem to boost my loyalty)

Erm....does anyone else get a load of illegal read and write messages in one of the dosbox windows (the one that the game ISN'T running in) when they load up a saved game for highseas trader? As far as I can tell, this doesn't appear to have had any ill effects (though to date, the game has only crashed twice).

Old 21-10-2004, 08:34 PM   #12
Andrew

Oh yeah....
1: For combat, I just try and board 'em (300+ small arms, 170 soldiers and 130 sailors (no apprentices!) on a fourth rate... hee hee hee!)

2: If you've not got any cannon, the enemy will immediately head for you and board you. I got rid of my cannon recently - since I always want a boarding action, if I had any cannon, they would shoot at me first and damage my sailing before I could board 'em!

3: I don't use auto-combat - half the time, the enemy kills half my crew and wreaks my ship with gunfire when I do that!

4: If 3 ships attack you (sometimes occurs when attacked by pirates), if you successfully board 2 of them, the 3rd often tries to run away! Chase and board 'em, or head in the opposite direction until you can click on the "cannon" button to exit combat mode.

Also, I'm a master merchant now! Wonder what happens when I become Viscount (and when I complete the game?)

Old 01-01-2005, 03:47 PM   #13
The Xtreme

Hi i played this game on the first pc i had and loved everymin of it, i recently had sid mires pirates but my pc complains that directx 9.c is not detected after instaling it just b4, i have a system optimizer that says directx 9.c is installed [so my gfx card cat do it basicly]

i wanted to play this again but i have 2 pcs both on ntfs formatting, and cant get the game to work throgh dos box or anything, any help ?

i might try reformatting one of the pcs to the old formatting and run it.

[oprating system xp / onboard sis gfx]

thx

Xtreme

Xtreme Network 2005 / www.xn.fnhq.net/

Old 05-01-2005, 02:43 AM   #14
hollywood

I ran this game well in dosbox. found it to be important because i can speed up the cpu or slow it down, like when i am in combat. found the game to be well done. i always keep alot of soldiers on my crew. you can use a hexedit to get alot of gold if you want to cheat (i gave myself 14,000,000 gold), but you still have to raise all your rank stats, so this cheat does not take all the fun out of the game.

wish they would release a new version of this game.

Old 11-01-2005, 01:56 PM   #15
User42

Wish I had the instructions, a list of things to raise loyalty would be nice, all the one's I know of are the ones that are in the "readme" as additions to the manuel, which are about the same ones mentioned here.

Anyone know how to get to the menu?

Alt+x asks if you want to quit to dos, would really like to know where the SAVE command is, Ive tried everyhing i can think of,

*edit*

Found it, the door in the cabin room that I had allready tried waveing mouse everywhere had the game menu

Never fails
User42 is offline                         Send a private message to User42
Old 11-01-2005, 02:57 PM   #16
BLOODUK
Game freak

Quote:
Originally posted by User42@Jan 11 2005, 02:56 PM

Alt+x asks if you want to quit to dos, would really like to know where the SAVE command is, Ive tried everyhing i can think of,
Isnt the save option in the docks on your ship in the bridge ?
BLOODUK is offline                         Send a private message to BLOODUK
Old 17-01-2005, 05:10 AM   #17
jean

Quote:
Originally posted by User42@Jan 11 2005, 02:56 PM
Wish I had the instructions, a list of things to raise loyalty would be nice, all the one's I know of are the ones that are in the "readme" as additions to the manuel, which are about the same ones mentioned here.

Anyone know how to get to the menu?

*edit*

Found it, the door in the cabin room that I had allready tried waveing mouse everywhere had the game menu

Never fails
to get the menu go to the cabin in your ship and click on the closet on the right after your titles. You will be able to save and load your game.

Enjoy

Old 13-02-2005, 07:47 AM   #18
GP

I am having some difficulty getting promoted. I clearly deserve it (I am currently at peddler, I meet the requirement for Loyalty Honour and Nobility to be above 15 and the average to be 25, and I also have the tea set treasure), yet I am not getting promoted. Is there a way to fix this bug, or a way to change the save file?

Old 09-04-2005, 10:07 PM   #19
Gar

OMG!! I LOVE THIS GAME SO MUCH!!
i've searching for this game for quite a while.
I used to play it when i was younger, but then i get rif of my old computer =(
but now i found the file and can play it again! THANX abandonia!!

Old 22-04-2005, 10:35 AM   #20
kleine777
Game freak

how do you make your daring get higher? :blink: isnt this such a cool smilie?
kleine777 is offline                         Send a private message to kleine777