_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

hoax with its own webadress bouhgt?
i dont think so
Old 03-01-2006, 08:37 PM   #12
Danny252
I have a custom title!

Just look at all the other things they have there. Terabytes of memory, microprocessors, solar RAM...

Menobelieve.

Plus, if they really are that good, why do they have pictures labelled with mspaint quality?
Old 03-01-2006, 10:22 PM   #13
plix
Game freak

Quote:
Originally posted by _r.u.s.s.@Jan 3 2006, 03:18 PM
hoax with its own webadress bouhgt?
i dont think so
Actually, that's another point which was rather funny (in the "ha ha" sense): the domain is registered to an MSN e-mail address. That's professionalism right there!

A domain doesn't verify authenticity at all, russ, I'm afraid. Domains are cheap and extremely easy to get. This guy seems to just be fishing for VC and a lousy $10 is a drop in the bucket when you consider the amount of money he's already spent on those patents alone.

Quintopotere: this is looking at least a decade into the future :) Before anyone jumps on me for that comment note that I'm talking about the actual tech, not the numbers. It'll obviously be much sooner that regular computers have 6.8ghz processors and 4TB of RAM.
plix is offline                         Send a private message to plix
Old 04-01-2006, 02:18 AM   #14
SirPeter
Abandonia nerd

But even if this wasn't a hoax then what in the world would ppl want that many memory in the pc. Its useless to have that many. Do you want to open 20 diferent games and 5000 Doc pages and open 50 webpages in the same time?
Comon :P
SirPeter is offline                         Send a private message to SirPeter
Old 04-01-2006, 03:51 AM   #15
plix
Game freak

Quote:
Originally posted by SirPeter@Jan 3 2006, 10:18 PM
...what in the world would ppl want that many memory in the pc. Its useless to have that many.
There are RAM-intensive things people do that aren't game-related. Photo and video editing come to mind, notwithstanding the obvious big-iron and server applications. That, and such upcoming memory hogs like Longhorn make an advancement in memory like that very attractive.
plix is offline                         Send a private message to plix
Old 04-01-2006, 06:48 AM   #16
Javaguy
Abandonia nerd

interesting.. probably a hoax but interesting
not long ago I predicted that proc. speeds wouldnt increse hugley but they would be made a lot smaller so lots of them could be used
I was half right
but wrong about the speed.
and as its a hoax.. im probably wrong.
Javaguy is offline                         Send a private message to Javaguy
Old 04-01-2006, 08:29 AM   #17
Rogue
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Originally posted by SirPeter@Jan 3 2006, 10:18 PM
But even if this wasn't a hoax then what in the world would ppl want that many memory in the pc. Its useless to have that many. Do you want to open 20 diferent games and 5000 Doc pages and open 50 webpages in the same time?
Comon :P
YOu guys got it all wrong.

1.5TB is not just yout RAM as in classic PCs. That's also your storage. (read "C" drive)

According to the web site, reason they had to wait for comercial use of it is testing, as they have to make sure that there is no missing information. I believe that this kind of memory has to be connected to batteries all the time.

A lot of memory is only required for super computers.

And for someone who claimed that more chips connected to each other is not a new chip. Even Pentium 1 is made in that way. 25MHz x 4 = P1 100MHz. That's why word multiply is used in chip technology.

I'll later check more on this technology, and post here if it is a hoax or not.
Rogue is offline                         Send a private message to Rogue
Old 04-01-2006, 11:34 AM   #18
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

From what I understood, the author implies hardware emulation of four CPU's and thus running four copies of the OS and the applications at the same time. This means a user would effectively have ~1,75 gHz of CPU power.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 04-01-2006, 12:28 PM   #19
Rogue
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
In order for Windows XP and Linux to work properly with new AtomChip® Quantum® II processor, some structural changes were made. Simultaneously eight identical copies of the Operational Systems (four for Windows XP and four for Linux) work in the computer. AtomChip®co-processor counts all packets of RAM and summarizes all occupied and free registers. All these innovations are covered with several new patents.
It's not 4, but 8. (4+4)

I am not sure what they meant, but it's not like one OS per processor or part of processor. I did not see Pentium M chips. Where did you get that from? I believe it is a very different processor.

This whole thing reminds me of holographic memory cube that was anounced some times ago, but I did not find much about it since then.
Old 04-01-2006, 01:26 PM   #20
Rogue
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Well,
I did some research, and most of the people who believe this to be hoax are based on poorly develped web site.

It is interesting that even if hoax, this might be very expensive hoax, as the person orderd a boot at CSP 2006.

Here is my find on patents displayed on home page (Only USA patents):

All of the pattents are registered on the name Shimon Gendlin, who apparantly is doctor.

Here is more about Atomchip company, including phone numbers etc. Should we call them?

Also, click here for an article from 1997, where is stated that Dr. Gendlin, emigre from Russia has brought a 128MB magnetic memory device to Electronic News' editorial office to demonstrate device.

In overall, time will prove this to be hoax or true. Just as I mentioned, this reminds me of Holographic Data Storage research.