Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 19-07-2006, 02:32 PM   #171
Nazo

Ok, first of all, I'd like to ask if anyone can point me somewhere to a full unripped copy of this game. It sounds like maybe I missed out on a really good game that I'd really enjoy. Thing is, call me spoiled all you like (because I am a little spoiled) but, I cannot get past the fact that stuff has been ripped out. I want original cinematics, original music (well, original music files, in the case of MIDI, I do hate Adlib and have troubles getting past any games that won't let me use MT-32 emulation or MPU-401 general midi,) and original sound including speech. Mind you, it's not entirely me being spoiled as I found that with Freespace 2, the new higher resolution fan-made graphics and etc to me just aren't any good and I prefer the original game as it was meant to be played (I use a Glide wrapper even so it looks like it was meant to.) Anyway, if anyone can point me to a CD image or something, I'd be terribly grateful. I just can't play a ripped version like this. )-: (Oh, and don't just simply tell me to buy it, if I wasn't so broke I can't afford that kind of thing, I'd be digging around for a place to buy it right now instead of asking this. Besides, it's abandonware, so it's not like the authors get money if I get on ebay and pay someone for an old copy of a game they don't play anymore.)

I might add that, for what it's worth, if anyone should point me to such a thing, I'll gladly let you know any trouble shooting steps I may need to take to get it to install and fully work.

Anyway, Graknak, I may be able to do some bit of help even without access to the thing. I'm guessing you aren't really that familiar with DOSBox or you'd be using it to begin with on your original copy of the game. You have to either use DOSBox or at least VDMSound to avoid that crash. I suggest DOSBox for obvious reasons.

First off, you may want to try the latest DOSBox. Particularly, a CVS build tends to have more features in it than the official build that rarely ever gets updated. You can find a much newer CVS build here: http://ykhwong.x-y.net/ There are other builds out there, but, IMO, currently Ykhwong has the best. The first thing you'll want to do is look at the configuration file (dosbox.conf -- it's just a plain text file, so open it in notepad or whatever you like, just remember to select all files from the file types dropdown if you do use something like notepad or you won't even see it) and get some basics changed. The dosbox.conf file is well commented, so you actually can figure out a lot of this stuff on your own. First and foremost, change the output type from surface to direct3d if you have an ATI card or opengl if you have a nvidia card (or openglhq if you have a good card like a 6800 which can handle it.) Alternately, some crappy cards or onboard graphics may need something more like ddraw or maybe even just overlay. Surface is the worst and slowest method though. Cycles needs to be either auto (seems to be a bit slow at adapting, so I recommend against auto) or something like maybe at least 10000 (setting above what your cpu can do will make things run very very badly though, so keep trying until you strike just the right balance. My San Diego "4000+" does best around 15000 or so with complex games.) Also, I imagine it needs more memory, so set the memory to, say 32 maybe. The rest of the file you don't have to change much, but, follow the comments and you should be ok. Don't be afraid to try tweaking things first one way then the other since DOSBox isn't very likely to blow up your windows.

When you start DOSBox, you'll want to do something like maybe "MOUNT C C:\GAMES" or something so that you have a C drive. C:\GAMES may need to be something more appropriate, but, they recommend against just doing MOUNT C C:\ for safety reasons. I personally created a C_DRIVE folder in my DOSBox installation folder and I just do MOUNT C C_DRIVE to get my fake C drive. Next thing you'll do is MOUNT D D:\ -t CDROM (changing D:\ to whatever drive letter your CD-ROM actually is if it's different.) This is supposed to be good enough to fool things. If you have problems, you can always make an image file on the harddrive and mount it with the imgmount tool.

From there, you just install and play the game as if you were in a real computer running DOS.
Nazo is offline                         Send a private message to Nazo
Old 01-08-2006, 10:21 PM   #172

i download and instell this CVS and its working but i cant see the text
help please

Old 02-08-2006, 12:21 AM   #173
Nazo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest
i download and instell this CVS and its working but i cant see the text
help please
I'm sorry, but, can you be more specific? Firstly, what did you do to set it up? Eg, your configuration options, how you "installed" DOSBox, and so on. I'm not quite clear on what you mean about seeing no text either. Do you just start up DOSBox and see a blank screen, or does it work ok until you start the game then you see no text in the game?

BTW, while I personally feel that Yhkwong's CVS build has the best overall features added and it is the most up to date, there is also Gulikoza's build here: http://www.si-gamer.net/gulikoza/ In fact, it may be less buggy for some people since it has less extras thrown in.

Last edited by arete; 16-02-2010 at 06:02 AM. Reason: html
Nazo is offline                         Send a private message to Nazo
Old 08-08-2006, 10:22 PM   #174
Tropico
Lurker

LOL you have to be JOKING giving this game a 5.

I remember buying and playing through this entire game. It had very very pretty graphics - and that was IT. Bad characters, bad story, bad pacing, bad and nonsensical puzzles, and an ending so unfulfilling and empty that I was left staring at the screen wondering wtf had just happened.

Then a few days later I read a magazine article about the making of the game, how it had started out beautifully and halfway through the project money had run out and the entire thing had been patched up as it was a shipped out to the stores like that... and how the original ending, only published in the original german (or something) version had been SO vapid and insulting to the player that they had been forced to change it before publishing it in the US, only the new ending wasn't really an ending but just an abrupt stop to everything.

But yeah it did have pretty graphics so I guess that warrants a 5? Yeah right. That is ridiculous. To the guy who's all worried about having missed the original game, you're worrying over nothing. Seriously.
Tropico is offline                         Send a private message to Tropico
Old 13-08-2006, 06:02 PM   #175
DaVinci79

Hey,

The speech download doesn't work anymore. Can someone upload the speech files again? Only the first RAR works, the rest says it had too little downloads.

Thanks!
Vincent

Old 26-08-2006, 02:22 AM   #176
torch

I remember seeing this game on the shelf of my favorite computer store. My jaw just dropped when I looked at the pictures on the box. I picked it up at the price of 30$ (Canadian) and installed it as soon as I got home. Finally I thought, another adventure game to satisfy my thirst. I mean, after finishing all the Lucas arts adventure games released to that date (some of them so many times it would be embarrassing to mention) I needed another fresh experience. Well to my great disappointment the only thing this game had going for it was the visual side. The story, puzzles and all the rest just did not hold up to the graphical aspect, and upon completion I was left with an empty feeling of. that is it?!?
I rated it a 3 on this site, and if I were to just rate story and puzzels and no graphical content. I would give it a 1.5!!!
torch is offline                         Send a private message to torch
Old 04-10-2006, 07:41 PM   #177

Right at the start of the game, where you try passing the guy guarding the forest...I try giving him the precious idol, but he doesn't accept it (makes usual remark about appropriate toll)...any ideas folk?

Old 05-10-2006, 09:31 AM   #178

Quote:

Right at the start of the game, where you try passing the guy guarding the forest...I try giving him the precious idol, but he doesn't accept it (makes usual remark about appropriate toll)...any ideas folk?
Ok I figured it out (after some mad random clicking of statue on theif). You need to take the statue, hover it over theif (so it says use statue on..), then right click (so it says give statue to...) and finally left click. -Ultima

Last edited by arete; 16-02-2010 at 06:02 AM. Reason: html

Old 06-10-2006, 09:50 PM   #179

I am finding that the game is freezing on me when I try to go to the ice ponds. I have it running in DOSBox, at 7500, so I know that is not the prob. Is there something else that might be interferring with DOSBox interfacing with the data? I have DLed more than twice, just to double that it is not a prob with a file, since everyone else has DLed the same file, I am assuming that they are not currupted.
Anyone got an idea?
Ta

Old 06-10-2006, 10:15 PM   #180

Quote:

I am finding that the game is freezing on me when I try to go to the ice ponds.
To add, I have found that it is not neccessarily when I reach the ponds as it is that after about five minutes of play, it freezes. This, I saw in an earlier post, was a problem that someone else has had. How do you fix it? I have not had this problem with any other games, if that means anything.
Ta

Last edited by arete; 16-02-2010 at 06:03 AM. Reason: html