Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 05-09-2005, 08:55 AM   #1651
gregor
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally posted by Guest@Sep 4 2005, 01:06 PM

What about time units?

And if I want to train them, can I shoot to nothing? I mean, like when all the remaining aliens are "hiding" in the UFO, can I spend some time firing around? Does it work, or is it necessary to fire "towards the aliens"?

(sorry for my english - I'm italian - I really hope you understand me).

best thing is to try and kill aliens (especially soldiers) and go to all terror sites and colonies.
yes yoou can. use snapshot to do that (usefull for destroying walls and then moving in through hole). if you want to shoot at wall really close to use you aim on yourself and use snapshot.

otherwise you train them by killing aliens. the more aliens they killed the higher their time units. they also get trained by doing successful missions.

Time units (and other "units") have their max rating.
Lifts-Her-Tail: But it is huge! It could take me all night!
Crantius Colto: Plenty of time, my sweet. Plenty of time.
From The Lusty Argonian Maid by Crassius Curio found in TES3: Morrowind
gregor is offline                         Send a private message to gregor
Old 05-09-2005, 09:13 AM   #1652
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

How to improve rank; Ranks in UFO are based not only on kills but also on the number of soldiers you have. It been proved on the UFO: Abandonia Unknown thread since a lot of early promoted soldiers kept being promoted even if they didn't even board the Skyranger. So, the more soldiers you have, the higher the number of highly ranked soldiers you'll have.

There is some points to note;
- You can only have one soldier of the highest rank in any given time (Commander).
- Once a rank is given, only death can destitute the soldier. If there is enough or too many high ranked soldiers, those rank will not advance no matter how many kills another soldier get. Only exception; second rank VS recruit.
- To advance, there must be at least an Alien killed somewhere. It doesn't always matter if the soldier in particular which advance kill the Alien, but you must have a kill.
- Ranks doesn't affect a soldier skill at all. The only noticable effect is the loss of Morale from the other soldiers if a highly ranked soldier die, which is exponential the higher the rank of the soldier get. High ranked soldiers also probably resist morale loss better than low ranked soldiers, but I'm not 100% sure on that one.
Old 05-09-2005, 09:31 AM   #1653
efthimios
Home Sweet Abandonia

There was a list somewhere about this. Basically the ranks depend on the amount of soldiers you have. So for example you cannnot have (random titles here) a general when you only have 6 soldiers. And that is per base.
efthimios is offline                         Send a private message to efthimios
Old 06-09-2005, 03:26 AM   #1654
Andrew

Thanks, guys, for the responses to my earlier question about selling alien artifacts.

I have another, related question. Do I need the power supplies or navigation equipment to build my own aircraft later on??

-Andrew

Old 06-09-2005, 08:49 AM   #1655
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Yes, you do.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 06-09-2005, 08:50 AM   #1656
Sharp
Game freak

Send a message via ICQ to Sharp

To build your own UFO's, yes you need the power and the navigation as well as elerium for fuel. Though if your strapped for cash these sell well (except for elerium, not good to sell elerium)

« † DxRxIx † »
Sharp is offline                         Send a private message to Sharp
Old 06-09-2005, 06:05 PM   #1657
newb482

does anyone know where I could find a DOS version of ufo defense?

Old 07-09-2005, 02:54 PM   #1658
JustycePayne

check out www.bestoldgames.net, they've got the old DOS version.

Old 07-09-2005, 03:23 PM   #1659
JustycePayne

Nevermind, it's not in english, however www.thehouseofgames.net has the dos and amiga versions, both in english, yay!

Old 07-09-2005, 06:38 PM   #1660
PrejudiceSucks
Above-Par

You can sell Elerium if you have surfeit of it. You get 50 units per engine, that's enough for a fair few flights. Just use a Lightning for 'elerium hunting' or even a Skyranger and Interceptor combo.
PrejudiceSucks is offline                         Send a private message to PrejudiceSucks