Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 04-03-2010, 08:23 PM   #141
dosraider
Dismembered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luchsen View Post
Would you please look at your Status Window? With DOSBox is not interested in crashing I meant that it however doesn't affect the playing in DOSBox.
Oh that, I usually don't have that one open.
But indeed, after a fast check (not that I don't believe you ....) it gives a lot of illegal readings.

Anyway, I fired up my ol'dusty P1-120MMX with MsDos 6.22 once again and did some tryouts of the game: still no problems, it even didn't ran too fast as I feared.
Of course I can't see in MsDos 6.22 if there were illegal readings or not, so if it's only a dosbox reading access problem or not .... no idea, not that it matters, as said the game runs fine in dosbox ànd MsDos 6.22

To conclude:
Fleabag run the game in dosbox or install a 100% compatible OS on that ol'PC of yours.

Not a member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
Not a member of the GAG Guerrilla. Don't get A Grip!
FOR RENT
*Advertising space*
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider
Old 11-03-2010, 05:18 PM   #142
fleabag
Abandonia nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luchsen View Post
Are you using pure DOS?
Yes.
fleabag is offline                         Send a private message to fleabag
Old 12-03-2010, 06:08 AM   #143
arete
If All Else Fails, Play Dead

No you aren't

*strangles him* ^^

"You have heard that it was said, 'You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you..."
arete is offline                         Send a private message to arete
Old 21-03-2011, 02:36 PM   #144
XfStef
Default hey

It's really nice you guys are giving this game away, but I was wondering if anyone could explain to me how I could be able to open the source code of this game ???

I'm guessing it's structured programmed, but I don't know if I could open the files with something like pascal or such

Any help would be much appreciated, especially since I manage to open it and modify it, maybe I'll make a stable version of this capable of running on our modern systems.

Old 21-03-2011, 03:37 PM   #145
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

The only way you could get the original source is by getting it from the developer (fat chance).

Only other option is reverse-engineering it by analysing the executable with a disassembler. Requires a thorough knowledge of x86 assembly and a lot of free time. Insanity helps, but is not a requirement.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 01-04-2011, 03:11 PM   #146
Dragonfly007

hi! i love this game! (sorry, for my bad english) iam buying the german version of this game on ebay, cause i will make a new one. i have the commercial edition of 3d gamestudio and iam not sure, if i can make this alone. is there anybody, who can help me for a new highseas adventure? but... just for fun

my icq is: 433-546-825

regards

Old 16-04-2011, 07:05 AM   #147
Dragonfly007
Exclamation Found a bug in asian charts

I have the cd version (german) and I cant buy the charts of asian.
So I have found a bug in the Charts.txt. With the "ü" or "ä" words in this file are something wrong.

So I renamed the "ü" to "ue" and "ö" to "oe" and now all fine! (if I start a new game!)

If you have a savegame, you can edit the .sav file with a hex editor and now you can play your savegame with the new asian charts!

Sorry, for my bad english. Hope, this helps! ;-)

Regards

Old 27-06-2011, 05:20 PM   #148
Bultro
Default Remembering prices

Hi, is it possible to see again the prices of goods in all ports that you have already visited, or do i have to write them on paper??

Old 08-07-2011, 09:40 PM   #149
Surfsuds

Default Finally slowed down the game!

I'm speechless and so happy. High Seas Trader is one of my all time favorite games and after many years and many tactics, I've finally gotten it to play at a normal speed. Earlier today I stumbled across D-Fend Reloaded and, using the default settings, finally slowed it down. Before that, the flags were flapping, the rats were just a blur, the game was unplayable. You can adjust the DOSBOX settings in D-Fend Reloaded if you need to experiment. I used the original D-Fend way back when but it wasn't updated and faded from use. On another tack, I had followed Gary's directions on p. 11 for using DOS SHELL to slow down the game but for whatever reason, it had no affect. I've been at this all day and finally stumbled on a solution.

If you read a longish post of mine back in June, 2005 you'll see how much I enjoyed the game. I'm looking forward to rereading all the posts. There were so many helpful tips on battles and trade routes that will help get anyone up to speed.

I'm playing with a two year old Acer Aspire with Vista Premium, 64 bit.

Well, off to the tavern to hire some mates.

Last edited by Surfsuds; 09-07-2011 at 12:40 AM. Reason: Edited to add plain Dosbox with ctrl + f11 did nothing to slow it down
Surfsuds is offline                         Send a private message to Surfsuds
Old 10-07-2011, 08:36 PM   #150
Surfsuds

Bultro, the Captain's cabin has the information you're looking for. Click on the blue book on the bookcase. It's full of logs with lots of information. The Trading Log will give you prices in cities all over the world. Makes it a lot easier to plan routes. The ship in the bottle will allow you do repairs at sea after a battle, much better than limping into the nearest port while pirates smack at you like a cat with a mouse. The closet has the save, quit and other options. The plate lets you adjust crew rations if you're in a financial fix. Frames on wall show your stats and awards.

The ''Tips'' link on the main HST page has lots of the in's and out's, too.

I'm playing a much more aggressive game than I did years ago. I was sick of getting creamed in pirate attacks back then, skittish at sea, had trouble aiming cannons. Just a mess. This time I followed the advice of a very helpful poster a few pages back. I chose England as my home port, fewer pirates in northern Europe. The shuttle between Liverpool (arms) and Bordeaux (liquor) is a safe and quick way to get started. The Boston (arms) to Charleston (tobacco) shuttle he mentioned is also good. I can't remember the details but check out a shuttle between St. Petersburg and Stockholm and possibly a third city. A mix and match triangle of ports can be very profitable. I did well going from Boston (arms) to Puerto Bello (sugar) to Belize (spices, jewelry) and back to Boston. I'm still missing the equatorial Atlantic map so I can't get to the Orient yet. It will come.

My ship choices (it will vary with each player's style) are the starter fluyt for seed money, the corvette as soon as I can afford it to travel quickly to many ports free from pirate attacks, back to the fluyt to earn bigger gold and get battle experience to move up to to the tall ships. Another poster made the frigate sound good, too.

For the player looking for Asian maps, I got some in Stockholm.

These tips are really to help players get started. Once you earn some gold and get the hang of plotting trade routes, you'll really enjoy it. Very addictive!
Surfsuds is offline                         Send a private message to Surfsuds