Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 09-04-2006, 11:48 PM   #111

Where can I build a harbor in level 6 can't find it anywhere

(me vs 2 vikings, I'm told there is an island with gold in a corner)-
(the level after the japanese lava one)

Old 17-04-2006, 11:21 AM   #112
HEZUS

I've always hated the fact that mostly the computer somehow manage to stop the production of soldiers. So in time I will always have the upperhand. But I understood that this is fixed in the gold edition?

Old 12-05-2006, 10:12 AM   #113
GameOver

For all the Settlers 2 fans:

If you want to play settlers 2 with sound just install VDMSound and Glidos.
You can download VDMSound (External link) and Glidos from www.glidos.net and just follow the instructions on the Install section.

I hope it helps!

GameOver

Old 12-05-2006, 11:44 PM   #114
Merri

I've released a new map generator for the game, so if you run out of maps and want to make your own ones much easier, which also look very good, you can try it out. Download is at http://settlers2.merri.net/map_generator/

I'm not sure if this is counted as spamming/advertising, but I can't really think of any other way of telling about the program
Merri is offline                         Send a private message to Merri
Old 15-05-2006, 12:09 AM   #115
Guest_Mike

Hail to you all

I am a frequent visitor of this incredible site (Good Work Guys!!!) and i too have downloaded Settlers 2 for old times shake.
I have ran it on a P4 3.2 1024MB with XP SP2 quite well.
For all the Settlers 2 Fans who would like to have the manual try this:
http://downloads.planetmirror.com/pub/repl...Manual_-_PC.pdf
Hope this is helpfull.

Abandonia Rocks...

Old 16-05-2006, 08:08 PM   #116
Jogobella

Alrighty. I figured out how to make Settlers II Gold playable on new computers and I am sharing this to save others from some headache...
If it helps, please drop a little note.

First, my notebook is an Intel Pentium M running at 1.7GHz and I have 1GB of RAM. Graphics and audio cards do not matter. I used DOSBox because there was just no way for me to make the game run under VDMSound. I have Windows XP Professional with SP2 and it did not work in native OS environment (without any emulation) at all. It worked, however, in DOXBox, but lagged like hell so I thought I would start from there.

So... unpack the game you downloadedDownload Settlers II Gold here and launch DOSBox. Navigate to the directory where you unpacked the game and type

Code:
setup
Select 'No MIDI audio' for music and select 'Sound Blaster or 100% compatible' for digital music. It should not make much of a difference whether you select SB16/AWE32 or any other but feel free to experiment. Exit the setup.

Now, in the DOXBox prompt, type

Code:
s2
This will launch the actual game. Hit Space when the splash screen appears. Go to Options and select 640x480 as the screen resolution the game will run in. Now start the game (scenario or free play). If the game runs sluggish, the helpers will visibly lag, their movement will not be continuous as if you were watching a movie. This means that your CPU does not have enough cycles to handle all the emulation that DOSBox provides (video, audio, mouse, keyboard, etc.) with video being the most resource intensive. If this is the case, hit Alt-Enter if you are in full screen or do nothing if playing in a window. Right click on that rectangular free area UNDER Start button and select Task Manager. Left click on the 'Image name' column to sort running processes in an ascending order and look out for the 'CPU' column. If not there, add it by selecting View - Select Columns and ticking 'CPU usage'. Locate and highlight dosbox.exe in the list of processes and see what percentage of your CPU's processing power it utilizes. If it shows 98 or 99 it uses up all the power your CPU has and possibly needs even more and this is the reason why your game is lagging.

To tackle this, switch back to the game, but leave it running in the window. Look for 'Cpu Cycles' in the title of the window. If the game is lagging and using 99% of your CPU power, you have specified too many CPU cycles in dosbox.conf. From within the game, hit Ctrl-F11 to decrease the number of CPU cycles in real time and look how CPU utilization changes in task manager. The trick is to lower the number of cycles so that the average utilization drops to around 90-95%. Try to observe it for a few moments to see what maximum it shows. Once you reach 90-95% CPU usage for dosbox.exe your game should run just fine. My original Cpu cycles were DOSBox's default - 6,000. This is way too little. But when I cranked it up to 60,000, it was way too much. Again, they key thing you need to understand is finding the balance between CPU cycles in DOSBox and CPU usage in Windows Task Manager.

DOXBox even has a 'turbo mode' that you can try. It produced unnoticable results for me but it may be different for you. I am not sure what it should do as it only says 'Unlock speed (turbo button)'. Ah yes, I had a 486SX/33 back in 1994.

Within the game, you can press 'V' to turn game acceleration on and off. Please note that this only speeds up the game in terms of game time, not frames per second. In other words, if your helpers lag, they will lag no matter if the acceleration is on or off.

You can also try to skip frames in DOSBox on a scale from 1 to 10 using Ctrl-F7 (decrease) and Ctrl-F8 (increase). As video is the biggest CPU hog, chances are it may give you a better result if you skip 1 or 2 frames rather than have your CPU process all of them. In general, you should not need it if your CPU speed is anywhere near or above 1.5GHz.

What really helped me was a section called "8. To run resource-demanding games" found in DOSBox's readme.txt. That alone should be enough to let you play and enjoy Settlers II Gold. k:

If DOSBox still fails, try pure Windows, i.e. no emulation, or try VDMS.
Good Luck. You may need it.

Old 18-05-2006, 08:55 PM   #117
Guest_Rizzo

I'm stuck on the second mission because I have at least 15 buildings, mostly barracks, that are all unoccupied. How do I get men into these buldings??

Old 20-05-2006, 11:36 PM   #118
Goodguy3
Abandonia nerd

awsome game, but im a little worried about my men, i just started playing and am well into the first chapter of the roman campaign, and muy men keep stopping where roads turn, is this supposed to appen :O?

actualluy, not all of them, just a good few
Old 21-05-2006, 11:08 AM   #119
Merri

You're supposed to set flags into the roads so that your transportation works nice and fast, one man per road -> a lot of flags on the road, a lot of men, a lot of transportation capacity
Merri is offline                         Send a private message to Merri
Old 21-05-2006, 05:35 PM   #120
Goodguy3
Abandonia nerd

Quote:
Originally posted by Merri@May 21 2006, 06:08 AM
You're supposed to set flags into the roads so that your transportation works nice and fast, one man per road -> a lot of flags on the road, a lot of men, a lot of transportation capacity
oh wqait, they stop until somehting iis laid down at that corner, then they pick it up and carry it to it's destination! Genius!