Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 20-08-2010, 04:19 PM   #91
eugene425
Game Wizzard

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borodin View Post
I'm pretty surprised no company has tried to do an updated version of HotG, with new graphics, extra features, but keeping the core game. It's very well designed.
Yes, sure.
eugene425 is offline                         Send a private message to eugene425
Old 20-08-2010, 08:57 PM   #92
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

I've started this with the Hammer.bat, but it still asks me for a CD.
What am I doing wrong?

I've tried to run it in pure Win98.

Last edited by twillight; 20-08-2010 at 09:00 PM. Reason: system-spec. inserted
twillight is offline                         Send a private message to twillight
Old 20-08-2010, 09:37 PM   #93
eugene425
Game Wizzard

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by twillight View Post
I've started this with the Hammer.bat, but it still asks me for a CD.
What am I doing wrong?

I've tried to run it in pure Win98.
Edit hammer.bat on that
edit
Maybe it help you/
If this does not help try (in console) hamgam -z / should help

Last edited by eugene425; 20-08-2010 at 09:51 PM. Reason: In order to improve foreign language skills.
eugene425 is offline                         Send a private message to eugene425
Old 20-08-2010, 10:43 PM   #94
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Thx. Did the laster one, and now it works fine.
twillight is offline                         Send a private message to twillight
Old 21-08-2010, 12:16 AM   #95
eugene425
Game Wizzard

Thumbs up It`s me, Mario.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twillight View Post
Thx. Did the laster one, and now it works fine.
What's that, but in this game I am an expert. If you want to we can play on the network. If this is possible.
Old 21-08-2010, 07:51 AM   #96
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugene425 View Post
What's that, but in this game I am an expert. If you want to we can play on the network. If this is possible.
If you're an expert pls explain these to me:
- HOW can I give magic items to my hero? I just can't figure it out, and w/o that attacking cities... are not safe.
- WHY should I explore the map at all? WHY should I capture cities? It seems to me appart from occasional building-missions there is no reason going further the absolutly necessary.
- HOW can I uppgrade my cities to stronger ones?

I also found out what team works best in this game: 3 archer + 5 melee units. the melees go phalanx, and there is no more space for ranged units. But cities are though anyway.

Last edited by twillight; 21-08-2010 at 07:52 AM. Reason: inserted another question
Old 21-08-2010, 10:35 PM   #97
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Ok, I've finished this.
This is the kind of game you play once then never again - becuse there doesn't seem to be too much replayablility.

First thing first: bugs. I've encountered some. One was that at some points the loading-time seems ridiculously long, and it SEEMED (I'm not sure) that pressing Enter a couple of time did helped it stop.
One of my heroes who demolished a hostile tower got stuck. No matter in which direction I tried to move, it didn't help. My guess from the look of the situation was, that the tower stood on invalid location (on river).

The fact that city-wlls only at a percentage came to play and did not depended on the type of the city disturbed me somewhat.

On the combat-interface - it is good to know - all units can move 1 hex in any direction (including diagonal).

I couldn't figure out how troll-regeneration worked. Sometimes it happened, sometimes it did not. (I played with the troll for Ragnarök.)

The quests were good idea, but the last quest take ridiculously long. Also one quest I didn't even get: I had to bring one of my sons to a specific location. After 2 turns it got completed, but I've never even seen that city - even though for solving the quest the city is the reward! (But at east I did not get stuck, so whatever.)

I've found one oof too: fire giants. In the nordic mythology there is but one fire giant: Surt. I should have had find frost giants.

My favourite quest was killing a dragon.

The unites I lost most were ogres despite they being moderatly strong. Well, the time I got them I started to defeat the other players, and those pesky heroes of theirs were strong.
Oh yeah, always protect your heroes, even if you don't like their type (like elves). They can carry magic items. Those magic items can grant you spells too (not that I had ever been able figure out how spells work, but...). Picking up a magic item is done by clicking on the location with rightclick. Their symbol is a small crate.

Diplomacy by the way is although interresting, but I didn't bothered with it too much. The only resource I ever need was money, and that came in the thousands in the end from pilaging and razing cities. But one thing is good to know: "stealing" an empty boat of another player has absolutly NO CONSEQUENCE. I led one of the opponents bankrupt this way

One last thing: as questreward I once got a "Necromancer". It was the blasted strongest hero in the game having ranged abilty at 7.
Also Odn's quest do NOT require doing all the lesser quests. Once in a way or the other your reach it, you can take that quest if you want (but I vote against it).
Ah, and still: I gave squat to honor, but I thought it's best to leave it as it is. It payed out, as one of the quests depends on your honor...

And for those who are interrested, here are the troll-quests and rewards (reward-units' number can change +/-1):
rossthiof: wants a daughter, gives ?(I forgot. mot probably 2 trolls, or a +1 magic item)
ratatosk: wants you to explore a bit (as this is right at the beggining, it is advisable to split up your army for the duration of this quest)
norngesta: wants 250 gold, gives 2 troll
suttung: wants you to build a city (there are 3 unbuilt citylocation around your starting place - you'll need them all, don't build on them outside quests!), and I forgot what he gives
vala: wants that you have 15 units in all (interresting thing is, that at the very end of the game I had a farmer as unit, but I swear that wasn't questreward, and can not be bought in shop. Strange.), again forgot what he gives
modi: wants you to attack a city, gives troll hero + magic item + 4 troll
gerda: wants 750 gold, gives 2 ogre + 3 troll
garm: wants you to RAID 4 city (at least villages), gives troll hero + magic item + 2 troll
mödgud: wants you to kill skeletons at random location, gives you 6 troll
ran: wants you to raid monastery, gives you map info + 3 dwarves (dwarves are annoying, but they are strong and durable from common units)
sygin: wants you to build a new city, gives you food (don't ask, I have no idea. The unites don't eat, nor citydwellers.)
skrymir: wants you send one of your son somewhere (don't ask, no idea. This quest seemed to solve itself for me.), gives you map info? or ownership of named city? (I swear I never seen that city.)
hodur: wants you to raid monastery, gives you map info + troll hero
thrud: wants you to kill skeletons at random location, gives food (skeletons also comes as lategame specialunits. Beats me why, because they don't hit hard, don't save good, only catches your exyes.)
vidar: wants you to PLUNDER 5 cities (at least burg), gives you 5 ogre + 2 troll
veleda: wants you to attack a city, gives you magic item + elf hero + 2 elf (beats me why elves go with trolls. But they are the best common ranged units. Too bad there are no ogre hero, because then I would have made a party from entirely heroes. Especially that somewhere I've found a +4 magic weapon!)
uller: wants 750 gold, gives elf hero + magic item + 2 elf (the good thing in these elves that they come in 3. Exactly that many ranged units you want in a group.)
iarnsaxa: wants you to build a city, gives you warez (might be good if you are interrested in trading. But I have no idea why anyone would need warez.)
rinda: wants you to build 2 new cities - and this time you are allowed to SUBJUGATE (for the other build-quest you are not, that's why thse empty places around the starting place are so precious.), gives you warez
angurboda: wants you to RAID 2 cities (at least village), gives you magic item + 4 troll
hermod: wants you to kill a hero (at the later part of the game all the AI-players will turn hostile anyway), gives you magic item + 2 troll (at the vERY end of the game I was able to buy troll in the city too)
magni: wants you to RAID 2 cities (at least villages), gives you elf hero + 2 elf + magic item
tyr: wants you to RAZE 2 city (towns only, and towns are usually protected by towers too, so before attacking the city itself first demolish the tower. It's much safer that way.), gives you 6 skeleton + magic item
loki: wants 2500 gold (I hope you did pillaging regularly, then it won't hurt you), gives troll hero + 2 ogre
thor: wants you kill dragon, gives troll hero + 4 ogre
saga: wants gold based on your honor (something between 50000-5000), gives you 6 skeleton
frigga: wants you to RAZE an opponent's capital (hope you didn't do that before the quest, lol. Don't forget you have to build civilisation!), gives magic item + troll hero + 7 skeleton
hel: wants you to PLUNDER 3 city (at leat towns - this is one of the hardest quest in the game), gives you 2-4 fire giant (best nonhero units in the game. Heck, they are better then most of the heroes!)
Odin: wants you to controll 75% military force of all vikings (the game keeps track how you stand, so don't hurt your mind)
Old 22-08-2010, 03:05 PM   #98
eugene425
Game Wizzard

Smile

If you think you're strong enough in this game, we should play it on the network. If this is possible.

What would someone play with me?

How about next week?example 13 september,Mon?
By that time, recover?

Last edited by eugene425; 08-09-2010 at 04:52 PM. Reason: in order to improve foreign language
Old 07-09-2010, 12:18 PM   #99
dosraider
Dismembered.

Quote:
If you think you're strong enough in this game, we should play it on the network. If this is possible.
Quote:
What would someone play with me?
Quote:
How about next week?
By that time, recover?
Djees eugene425 ....
Could you please stop filling this topic with such posts?
Multiplayer games:
-> http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=19 <-

Not a member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
Not a member of the GAG Guerrilla. Don't get A Grip!
FOR RENT
*Advertising space*
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider
Old 12-09-2010, 12:10 PM   #100
Himmler
Trollmaster General

dosraider, stop being mean to eugene. he is the best. he has special powers from Bog. you are afraid that he could beat you at this game!
Himmler is offline                         Send a private message to Himmler