Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

View Poll Results: If you had to choose your favorite genre.
Action (Doom, Alien breed, Half life etc.) 15 9.74%
Adventure (Monkey Island, Gabriel Knight, Bioforge etc.) 47 30.52%
Arcade (Arkaniod, Bubble bobble, Pinball dreams etc.) 3 1.95%
Board (Chess, Settlers of Catan, Mahjong etc.) 2 1.30%
Puzzle (Fish fillets, Dr. Brain etc.) 0 0%
RPG (Lands of Lore, Anvil of Dawn etc.) 32 20.78%
Racing (Micro machines, Need for speed etc.) 2 1.30%
Simulation (X-wing, Wing commander, Aces over Europe etc.) 8 5.19%
Strategy (Command and conquer, Civilization, Master of Orion etc.) 36 23.38%
Sports (Track and field, NHL, 4D sports boxing etc.) 1 0.65%
Other (Something that doesn't fit in the above.) 8 5.19%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-04-2005, 05:37 AM   #61
Veloxi

Sims, especially space sims. The biggest/most intense gaming moments I've had are in games like Freespace 2 or Tie Fighter. I am a total space sim bitch.
Veloxi is offline                         Send a private message to Veloxi
Old 12-04-2005, 05:56 AM   #62
GraveDigger
Game Wizzard

Send a message via ICQ to GraveDigger

Quote:
Originally posted by Veloxi@Apr 12 2005, 09:37 AM
I am a total space sim bitch
Start playing adventure games for a definite transformation from bitch to a bombastic babe.
GraveDigger is offline                         Send a private message to GraveDigger
Old 12-04-2005, 07:50 AM   #63
Omuletzu
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via MSN to Omuletzu Send a message via Yahoo to Omuletzu

Quote:
Originally posted by Veloxi@Apr 12 2005, 07:37 AM
Sims, especially space sims. The biggest/most intense gaming moments I've had are in games like Freespace 2 or Tie Fighter. I am a total space sim bitch.
I liked freelancer very much
Omuletzu is offline                         Send a private message to Omuletzu
Old 13-04-2005, 09:33 PM   #64
Hark

I'm a replay fanatic. Just love to blow the dust off those ancient games and play them again. That's why I choose strategy. To me their the most replayable of the genres. There's always some new strategy to try, or a diferent way to win. Right now I'm playing Capitalism II and I'm discovering alot of new thigs about the game.

But adventure would be my second choice. I always crack up playing Monkey Island again. The sword/cursing duel is to me one of the best scenes in any adventure game.
Hark is offline                         Send a private message to Hark
Old 14-04-2005, 01:39 AM   #65
Veloxi

Quote:
Originally posted by Omuletzu@Apr 12 2005, 07:50 AM
I liked freelancer very much
Freelancer is okay (better with mods). It's less of a space sim and more of an RPG in which your character is actually the ship, complete with health kits (nanobots) and mane potions (shield batteries).
Veloxi is offline                         Send a private message to Veloxi
Old 14-04-2005, 01:50 AM   #66
punch999
The true Shadow President

action is my favorite by far its not like i dont play it but i love playing kids in school at doom 2 using zdaemon its so fun
punch999 is offline                         Send a private message to punch999
Old 14-04-2005, 06:43 AM   #67
hanut
Forum hobbit

All genre are exciting but the fact that my all time fav games are listed under adventure makes me vote for adventure games. They are just so darn cool! (remember fighting Lechuk in ur huge monkey????)
hanut is offline                         Send a private message to hanut
Old 14-04-2005, 03:26 PM   #68
MasterGrazzt
Game Wizzard

I don't know. On one hand, I'm a pen and paper RPG (like D&D) freak, so it should be RPG without question. Baldur's Gate 2, Planescape: Torment, Fallout, Lands of Lore, all the Gold Box games (such as Pool of Radience, Pools of Darkness, etc), Might and Magic, Wizardry, Ultima, Dark Heart of Uurkul, Betrayal at Krondor, Dungeon Master, MegaTraveller, the Buck Rogers games, Rogue aand the Roguelikes, and Eye of the Beholder are probably some of the best games ever made.

However, I was raised on adventure, and love it, especially all the Quest games, Gabriel Knight, Leisure Suit Larry, Monkey Island, Sam and Max, Infocom text adventures, Legend's games like Mission Critical, Gateway and Shannara, and even more, my two favourite genres cross in Quest for Glory.

And then, it's even more complicated by my love for strategy games such as Master of Orion, Civilization, Master of Magic, Age of Wonders, MechCommander, Dawn of War and Koei's games, like Celtic Tales.

But then it's even more complicated by classic, not braindead action games like the original Unreal, Wings of Fury, Moonstone, Gods, First Samurai, Turrican, Prince of Persia, Karateka...

And what about the crazy, incredible cross-genre games, like StarFlight, Pirates!, StarControl, and Sword of the Samurai?

Of course, I love a good puzzle or trivia game now and then, like Tetris, Redhook's Revenge, Lexi-Cross, and Dr. Brain.

So I guess you could say that I love all games.

GraveDigger, insulting other genres of games to make your point is a very weak and petty tactic indeed. Okay, you're probably bitter about adventure games being pushed out of the "limelight" so to speak, and feel that they deserve to be an institution again (and I agree with you) but isn't there a better way to get that across?

Oh, and whoever said that Settlers of Catan is overly complex (sorry, I think it was DeathDude, but I'm very lazy :bleh well, jeez. It's pretty simple to me. I hope you never run into the pen and paper RPGs Rolemaster and Traveller! Rolemaster is an undecipherable mess of charts and tables that you have to refer to when your character sneezes or adjusts his clothes, and Traveller, despite being incredibly fun, has VECTOR MATH as a component of it's space travel.
MasterGrazzt is offline                         Send a private message to MasterGrazzt
Old 14-04-2005, 03:34 PM   #69
BeefontheBone
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

well that makes sense - vector maths is very important in space travel.

I've never actually played SoC but it seemed a bit complicated - if not I apologise for slagging it off.
BeefontheBone is offline                         Send a private message to BeefontheBone
Old 14-04-2005, 04:50 PM   #70
A. J. Raffles
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Definitely adventure, because that's the only sort of games I ever was any good at (with a few notable exceptions).

[By the way, hi everyone. :bye: I couldn't find anything like a newbie thread, and creating a new thread just to introduce myself seemed a bit... presumptuous. ]
A. J. Raffles is offline                         Send a private message to A. J. Raffles