Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 06-09-2018, 09:51 AM   #371
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Default Games I would recommend still -Swamp Attack

It is an android game. Because those exist too.
And it's entirely free.
Sure, there is the possibility of micro-transaction, but you never have to. It takes a while to upgrade yourself to be able to beat all the levels, especialy on the harder difficulty, but sure, it is possible, and isn't a chore. Also it is a convenience issue if you want to play whenever you want, and not wait until the energy bars fill up.

In addition it has several minigame-playmodes to spice things up and offer you stuff to do if you are full. My favourite is, where it rains weapons. You can't use your regular storage those times, but you finaly can reliably use such things as the A-bomb, which clears the screen, but you can only pack 1. On the "it rains guns" levels you can get 3-5 of those, what is hilarious.
It is a very well designed game, 5/5.
Old 06-09-2018, 07:32 PM   #372
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Default Games I would recommend still -Warlords epic conflict

This game is not epic.
Not even good, only mediocre.
But it is a solid flashgame, can be played casual, has an ok grinding-progression, and a pretty solid introduction to the "push the line" genre.
You coulddo much worse.

And I'm almost out of suggestions. 2 more entries, and that's it.
Old 07-09-2018, 08:07 AM   #373
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Default Games I would recommend still -Zax, the alien hunter

It is "Diablo with guns". Actualy, there are a crapton of puzzle elements to make a clear distinction.
You are some freelance dude, crashlanding on a planet with precious minerals to smuggle, while there's a robot infestation ... probably from ancient times ... But that ship-AI is darn sexy.

It is a solid game, you probably did not played yet. If you find it, it can be a good bargain, and can last for a good chunk of hours.

Note though, that the final battle is .. problematic, because it involves a megaton of spawning enemies. I'm not evensure you can beat it on the highest difficulty. Until that, or on normal/easy diff it is absolutely ok, but on hard... Still, the AI is still sexy. You can feel like the Nostromo's crew in Alien fel to Mother, only this one is more like Space Hunter's android than a mother-figure.
Old 08-09-2018, 03:19 PM   #374
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Default Final Fantasy is not a franchise

Face it. There's no continuity between the games. The only constant is the mechnaics. What is totaly the same as ANY jRPG. So any game made by the RPG-Maker, is a jrpg, therefor is a Final Fantasy.
Because nothing says otherwise aside the stample, and I could care less for a company logo.
Old 09-09-2018, 01:06 PM   #375
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Default pokemon franchise doesn't exist

Face it, there you gather unrecognisable blobs by walking every hex of the map, doing countless random encounters, and they say there's a story too.
But what if I say you can play such game from the abandonedware library, with way better graphic, immensly recognisable stuffs, and with a clear start-to-finish setup?

So let's play Cobra Mission! See? there's even a pun in the title!

Sure, there's the problem of hardware-made noises, so it's laud bleeps,which can't be silenced by a headphone, but hey, pokemon still costs top$$$, while this one is FREE for the moment, and even if like GoG would collect it, would still be mega cheaper.
Otherwise, it's practicaly the exact same experience. Aside that your characters don't implant CDs to their head.
Old 02-10-2018, 09:04 AM   #376
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Default Pokemon Red

Managed to find the emulated ROM ofr PC, so I make a check on this dying franchise.
Yes, I seriously think it is dying.
Well, I hope the anime is getting to an end, as people started to takenote how similar the pokegames are, and through that call the whole of Nintendo lazy - you can guess where that can lead to.
The company might be large, but face it, they failed to come up with a new masquot after Super Mario, and Pikachu for like 20 years, or more.With some good kick from XBox, and whatever other console-companies out there, they realy can make Nintendo disappear from the leading market.

So. The game runs. That's a plus. I have no idea what I'm doing, only know the buttons to smash. Not all seems to have a function though. Who cares.
I have no walkthrough, or whatever either, I'll just go in blind. I hope.
I didn't live in a cave though, so chose squirtle as starter. And beaten Assfart's bulbasaur! Oh yeah, I did it.
Managed to download a potion at home, and met another character who gave me yet another. no idea what it does, but I have it, so duh.
and that's where I am now. The "quartz game graphic" is ridiculous, and turns out Peta's minigame totaly used the same mechanics, so all the better for me.
I hope the game'll have some kinda tutorial though... I have no idea about moves, and effectiveness. Also no idea how and when pokemons get healed, which seems like important, as I ended up with my battle with 1 HP (4 after leveling up), and there is no pokemon centar (hospital) to heal my mon...
Ye, it was totaly fun: you pick your biological weapon, the other kid gets the one supposedly stronger, likely KO your pocket-godzilla, and there's no place to heal the bugger. Ye, I feel totaly safe in that Tall Grass now.

------------

Meh, it turned into a bad grinding-game.
To start with, for a good portion you don't have access to pokeballs.
Money is also scares, so don't even think about investing into supplies, just let your mons faint if the get some condition (at this point: poison), and go back to the pokecenter.
The main problem though is the scarcity of things to do. It really ISa quartz-game, but instead of pushing some button to "do fight" you have to mindelessly run up-and-down on a tiny patch of grass. Because in every direction you bump into hugh level-obstacles, and there's nothing to do but random-encounter-hunting.
The grinding is even worse that not your entire team gain exp, but you have to painfully bring out all mons each and every time one by one. That's some serious bullshit.
You're also cut from anything mildly interesting/useful by the first Gym, because if you try to pass by, the game grabs you by the ear, and throws you at it.

At its time it at least was better than the ocmpetition I assume, and was way more playable then like Zelda, but today...

-------------

Wuh, leveld up a bit mindlessly, and figured out all pokemon used share the exp from the fight, IF they don't "faint". This happens after every time you beat an opposing pokemon, NOT at the end of each battle with a trainer, like.
Brock, the first gym-leader only had 2 pokemon. I had 6. Didn't even needed to use my squirtle.
Currently going through some caves. Disappointed that Team Rocket didn't attack me until now. I expected Jessie and James. Either way, I like the cave, as I constantly get attacked. I duncare if those are just zubats, at least something is happening.

Also, seems if you overlevel your pokemons you can get screwed, as it seems you might not be able to catch new ones, as those are weak as a fig tree before Jesus.

Finding items is easy, as all look like pokeballs on the ground. They are not hidden like for Cobra Mission, which is somewhat a bummer.

My team currently is: squirtle, because it is the starter, and very few types are available. And most of them are bad. I catched everything possible until now I think, simply because there's nothing else to do. Ah, and squirtle is immun to sleep.

Second is my nidoman. Male nidoran. Immun to poison, and generaly seem to be able to hit the enemy (unlike weedle).
There's a pidgey too, because it makes the enemy miss with its special attack. That's handy.
I bought the magicarp, and put it in the first place, so I can remove it before the first move, and it gains exp. Ye, sure, the 500$ hurts, not that I'd buy things, though would be good to know how to make real money. It'll evolve into gyarados, and I want that ASAP.
Got a geodude for its high resistance or something, and I'm sure I have a 6th mon too, beats me what. I concentrate on nidoman and magicarp mostly, so duh.

Last edited by twillight; 04-10-2018 at 01:16 PM.
twillight is offline                         Send a private message to twillight
Old 05-10-2018, 08:23 AM   #377
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Default Pokemon Red - How to get out of Cerulean City?

Wasn't only my problem, so hope people can find this.

But first: there are many unnecessary texts in the game, and they come out sooo slowly, you start clicking to fasten the process, justto end up restarting a conversation. That's bad. Just like you have to click azillion times to end a turn. Why doesn't that just roll until your choice of action happens?

Then there's the problem of the Cerulean Gym itself. One: I give the developers, the lvl 30 limit seems absolutely fine, as I'm not even close to that, given how much exp is demanded for it. My problem though, why the liimit then at all? And what's my limit without the Cerulean Gym?
Two: I have no idea within the game what TMs are, and the game does not tell me. Neither tells me what are the conditions to "evolve" my pokemons, so turned out I could upp my nidoman with an item -and while I could catch adabra, grow it to kadabra, it was futuile effort, as I can not make it abrakadabra without trading, so there goes my full pokedex I assume.
The source I know the above is, 'case that stupid Artificial Rival I named Assfart traditionaly, keeps jumpscaring me, and it pulled out some psycyc mon, and had good levels, and whatnot, and I forgot to save like a long time, so had to do something about it.

The major problem with the gym is though, that every pokemon you can have there is a piece of crap. the gym only uses 2 mons, and they are incredily strong watermons, especialy the second one. There nothing helps but brute force, and you simply don't have any good move. From this I deduce the best starter is the otherwise weakes grass crap (as those are almost immun to water).
Lacking that I saw my options are:
- get a gyarados ASAP by mindless grinding in some nearby grasspatch (did this with the 500$ magicarp)
- overlevel my squirtle
- catch the only grass mon available, and overlevel that, a radish. It'd take like forever
- give that physical medium punch to my squirtle, but I dunno what moves it get later, so I went against that, still, seems a valid option

The even more annoying part is, after this you get a gazillion human fighting you, providing a hugh chucnk of exp, but they are blocked by this town.

To get out you must fill THREE conditions:
#1: win the gym
#2 get to Bill, and use the teleporter on him

#3 HAVE ENOUGH SPACE IN YOUR BACKPACK to receive an item from Bill. THEN the police-guarded house gets unblocked.

This latest took me a while to figure out, but in the end managed to remember this is an old piece of gaming, so that's why Bill got into inifinite loop with his conversation.

Btw, advice: do NOT buy any specialitems, they are useless, and fill in your backpack. Only buy pokeballs.

PS: after getting out the city, I got my very own 1 Million DollarWorth bycicle. That alone did worth all the effort this game required.

Old 07-10-2018, 03:57 PM   #378
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Default Pokemon Red -Who to give HMs?

The game, turns out, tells you what's the NAME of HMs and TMs, if you click on them. Does not tell though what they do. Also don't tell you can't just teach it to whatever you want.

The game also just mentiones there is type effectiveness - what are the types, and their relations does not.

The good thing of HMs is, they are not onetime items, so unless you dispose them, you should be fine.

Another thing to watch out for, is that you have to own 10 pokemon. This includes every pokevolution form ever at your possession. Trading with ingame characters can help.

You need (optional) 30 pokemon at the end of Viridian City, where the big ship is/was. I'm not sure how useful if at all that thingy you get is, especialy with manual activation, and only like 2 hex radius. Maybe 1.
You also can get a boost later on if you horde 50 "pokemons". Assuming this scenario: you get a pokemon, pokevolve it, pokevolve it again, then trade it to another pokemon. This nets you 4 pokemon where you only had 1 at any time on you. So it's not impossible. Given that many thingy only needs a lvl20 or below, it worth collecting everything untilyou gain that fifty, and dump exp on them to grow.

I'm still waiting though a reliable source of pokevolution stones. Not that I'm in a hurry, or a need at all, but on principle.

But all the elements make me form my group naturaly, and that's a good thing.
I have since long time a rattata which is a source of power, although normal attack only I think. There's my gyarados, which could use some levels for elemental attacks, but still strong. Squirtle I regret is not bulbasaur, but works - either way it'd demand lvl 36 for its second pokevo, what is a ton. Not as bad as gloom, which would not just demand a pokestone, but lvl 56 for the best moves if Bulbapedia is correct. That's what cuts for me. To use Flash had to insert Drozee, a psychic mon which I hate, but whatever, seems can work. Would change it to Abrakadabra if a source is available. And there's my trusted nidoman, which resist poison and electric attacks, and is still strong. We'll see how it turns out later.

Here is how to win on the slotmachines: I found you can win "big", exactly 0-2 times (might be random), each win-streak gains netto ca. 500 coins on each slot machines. I only pushed the action button, sospent 3 dime every time.
To find the right machine play a machine 3 times in a row, and if you have at least 1 win, play 1-3 more times. If you get a seond win, play further. You'll notice if this is a "hot" machine,as ypou'll keep winning over and over.
Basicaly 3 loss in a streak means it is NOT a "hot" machine, or the "hot" machine cooled down.
I'm not sure what resets the machines though. Might be walking out of the door and returning. Save&reload seems to not effect the room, or I just turned unlucky those times. It is also entirely feasible that the machines reset by a timer, or by rolls, or something like that. Sometimes they DO switch to "hot"-mode, that's for sure.

Last edited by twillight; 08-10-2018 at 09:17 AM.
twillight is offline                         Send a private message to twillight
Old 07-10-2018, 11:46 PM   #379
Mystvan
Vice-Chair-man Poke-man

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by twillight View Post
Face it, there you gather unrecognisable blobs by walking every hex of the map, doing countless random encounters, and they say there's a story too.
But what if I say you can play such game from the abandonedware library, with way better graphic, immensly recognisable stuffs, and with a clear start-to-finish setup?

Sure, there's the problem of hardware-made noises, so it's laud bleeps,which can't be silenced by a headphone, but hey, pokemon still costs top$$$, while this one is FREE for the moment, and even if like GoG would collect it, would still be mega cheaper.
Otherwise, it's practicaly the exact same experience. Aside that your characters don't implant CDs to their head.
Wow! Cobra Mission and Knights of Xentar... Good bye, Megatech...

By the way, it is Pokemon or Poke-man (Bonk! Bonk!)!?

Quote:

Face it. There's no continuity between the games. The only constant is the mechnaics. What is totaly the same as ANY jRPG. So any game made by the RPG-Maker, is a jrpg, therefor is a Final Fantasy.
Because nothing says otherwise aside the stample, and I could care less for a company logo.
Quote:

Well, I believe that the only thing in common in these FF games would be the existence of the Chocobos besides the “turn based battles” mentioned by you...

I stated in one of the posts that FFVIII contained many very childish jokes involving the little girl named Ellone, Laguna and that eccentric scientist!

Well, I think Grand Emperor Japodeis (not Capo nor Paco !) deleted my post, but since I was very busy with Dropbox, I forgot to mention that just like Cobra Mission, Brave Soul also uses Chibi or Super Deformed (SD) characters. Only in Computer Graphics (CG) it would show the characters with “normal appearance”.

To be quite frank, I’ve never been much of a fan of the Pokemon or Digimon series , except for the Dark Masters (Machinedramon / Mugendramon and MetalSeadramon) who were really cool and powerful!
Old 08-10-2018, 08:58 AM   #380
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Default Pokemon Red -Only fishing Magikarp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystvan View Post
To be quite frank, I’ve never been much of a fan of the Pokemon or Digimon series , except for the Dark Masters (Machinedramon / Mugendramon and MetalSeadramon) who were really cool and powerful!
We agree on this.
From Digimon I only liked X-Wars.
From Pokemon maybe the Diamon&Pearl (to the swines) was a good period. don't ask how I know this later one, but I assure you, I'm not watching it every week-or-what 20+years straight. If anything, I'm an antifan of Pokemon to be honest.

I thought the pokegames are inaccessible to PC, and horrible nonetheless. Well, it's not perfect, but once I'll pass it. Not collecting all critters, just beat every NPC. And I'll do it (almost) without outsource help. Unless I getstuck, because then I declare it shit, and thus my point proven.

----------------

EDIT: The "only catching makicarp" problem is cause by using the Old Rod. Use the Super Rod to catch anything else (for some reason got that before Good Rod, which is obviously inferior).

Some problems:
- the storage space for items are friggin limited. But access to items is limited too. Infinite money would help, but that doesn't exist.
- a megaton of pokemon are still not available to catch. Dunno who deisgned this.
- I thought thing go fine and balanbced, then went to the "poison" gym. Which has psychic mons. That's the most anoying type, as there's no protection against them, so their hits hurt. Ghost pokemons are not an option,as their attack animation is long, and even seisure-inducing.
- facing absolutely unexpectedly a +10 lvl such mon doesn't help either.

- I checked out this dragonair, because it sucked. It sucks in every form, especialy in its basic shape which has no damaging attack. It has moves only with bad %-to-hit, and very limited amount of PP (number you canuse that attack). I though, based on the anime it's cool. It's not. Problem is, there's nothing to use otherwise.
- everything is problematic to level up at this midgame. Everything is lvl 30, and they stagnate until like lvl 50, which is a looong way, and even the buffed exp from enemy people don't realy help. The lvl 100 is just absolutely unreachable.
- the enemy people don't actualy give THAT much exp if you consider, and you realy have to work for it still. People start to throw at you 4-5 pokemonat once, and that just takes forver, especialy them all being poison type, which is not what you'd want to face, as poison kills you just by walking around. Given there's no infinite money, you're pretty much screwed doing long trips to the pokecenter.
- for like forever I carry around stuff I'd make Jurassic Park pokemons out. Literaly like since after the 3rd town. And only in the last-but-one town the items canbe used. That's ridiculous.

------------

Almost abandoned this. They had the nerve to put a gigantic, multilayer dungeon, in the midle of nowhere, I mean large pool of water what means you get attacked randomly every few steps like in the dungeons, WITH a whole-dungeon-puzzle.
Good luck mapping the place, while you fall down in holes, get away by the automatic, and generaly suck ass, while literaly every friggin step you get attacked by a random encounter.
But found a map (NOT on Bulbapedia, that sucks ass if you try to find the direction which way to go), deciphered it. And duh, done.
Also have the problem of friggin many items. I'll just trash 'em, you just see.

the worst thing that bother me in this: the lack of things to do. There are no sidequests, subquests, miniquest. You just go agead and grind yourself through all this shit.
And they have the nerve to release the same game FIVE TIMES: first two "alternate version", which barely differ if at all, and a "full version" like a year later. THEN another year later they make the expanded versions. And they dare to call this "pokemon multiverse". My ass.
And the later releases differ in... what exactly? You get a horde of new skins, some additional features - but there's still no story, just this "gotta catch'em all" attitude. How is this ever a thing?

EDIT: on Cinabar Island's Mansion had to use an Escape Rope. That's a teleportation device which brings you to the nearest town. I went through a doorway, which might have been a glitch, ended up in a locked room with no switch (all doors inside work by switches). If I hadn't found one inside, I'd've just lost 2-3 hours "progress".
Btw, there are "walkthroughs" around for the game, with such ridiculous statements like at this point your mons should be lvl 50+. Fuck that. I have no problem with my lvl 32-42 team. Average they're maybe lvl 35. Or I'm that fokin pro, lol. The most ridiculous thing is still, there are no maps of the area, only semi-scematics. Nothing like I'm used to.

Last edited by twillight; 09-10-2018 at 11:22 PM.